Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else hate aptitude tests???

Options
  • 22-03-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

im in commerce and for all the places im applying to for jobs make u do aptitude tests first..... this has resulted in the fact that iv no job yet for next year!! doin banking and finance....no job yet,shud i be worried???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Nearly every private company no matter what degree make you do aptitude tests. I know my friend who's doing engineering has had to do them for every job she applied for too.

It's as a result of companies realising that people can be, as I affectionately term it, book smart, not street smart. They did a study in the UK and found that people could come out of college, even really good colleges with high 2:1 and fail basic aptitude tests.

At the end of the day they're looking for a whole package, not just some one who is purely theoretical.

Dunno about the job thing though, I'm not in commerce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

How I know that feeling all to well! I'm final year Quinn aswell and have my banking job sorted but had to do 5 or 6 appitude tests.

To be honest I think that the chances of getting a grad position now for Autumn 2008 is fairly slim, as far as I know most places have their grad positions filled by now. Its awfully late to be still doing applications, where are still doing aptitude tests and taking grad applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bubblies

Thanks.. Well I'm v unsure of wat I wanna do next year. I only really applied boi and aib and got nowhere... applied recently to rbs.

half considerin now doin a postgrad. any advice???? yea it looks like I won't get a grad programme now, maybe should I just apply to a bank next September, start at the bottom, work there for a year or so, get experience and maybe apply next yr to grad programmes? freaked out wont get job

There's a smurfit open day on the 1st of april so it may not be too late completely to apply for a postgrad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am thinking that an aptitude test would be a peace of piss. Anybody got a sample test? Lets all see how we would fare in one.

• Advertisement

They're hard enough from waht I've heard. The one Diago were having people do had a failure rate of over 50% this year.

Most of them are specific companies that do them on behalf of the firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Most likely it'll be an SHL test. I've done a couple and they differ a little bit depending on the company, but normally they're fairly straightforward. www.shldirect.com might be handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If you're logical and quick thinking, they're fine.

They get so repetitive if you've done a few though.

Oh, and I chopped and changed loads and didn't apply for the job I eventually took til June, so there's good jobs for graduates out there late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭confusedbaby

me!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

bubblies wrote: »
    I only really applied boi and aib and got nowhere... applied recently to rbs.
    TBH, bad time to be looking for a job in the banks. They're all cutting costs due to the credit crunch, and this is affecting recruitment. AIB have already said they won't be taking on grads this year.

Postgrad would be a good option, do a one year masters in Smurfit and hopefully then the bank job market will be more buoyant, and you'll have the advantage of having an additional qualification on your CV.

But in the meantime practice the Aptitude tests. Plenty of test material online, and if you head to Easons you'll find guide books too. With a bit of practice you'll find it much easier to do. Worked for me anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement