Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Scratch Content...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Hell yeah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Legend! Check King Tubby too...

I personally can't work in the studio unless there's 35 Nut Cases smoking weed and dancing in there with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I personally can't work in the studio unless there's 35 Nut Cases smoking weed and dancing in there with me.
    :)

When I dunno what to to with a mix, "me just blow Ganja smoke on de tape!"

Nice King Tubby vid!

• Advertisement

Come on lads, a fader each, now PUSH!

Come on lads, a fader each, now PUSH!

Ha! Remember that? Great crack...

Ah yes, and mixing the track in sections to 1/4 inch tape and splicing it together.

The kids of today don't know how easy they have it....... and still can't make a decent record......... Hurumph!:(

Ah yes, and mixing the track in sections to 1/4 inch tape and splicing it together.

The kids of today don't know how easy they have it....... and still can't make a decent record......... Hurumph!:(

I remember working a Brush Shields session. 27 songs in a day...
    Engineer say's what kind of a drum sound would you like? The man says " A 10 minute one!!"

Seriously though, I reckon using computers has actually made the recording process longer...

Indeed, that's why I was so late in getting involved in the computer side - I'd see two lads in particular ( you know who) spend a day programming a hi-hat!

Jeez, get on with it!

Still today I find it slows down creativity, when you're buzzin' and you have to reboot because you comp plugin has crashed the Fecker.

Ya don't reboot an 1176, Head!

Computer's contribution to (played) music is primarily price. It makes many other aspects worse. 24 tracks (23 if you were using timecode!) means you edit as you go along.

On a recent album I worked on I'd spend an hour and a half chopping/rearranging out bars and licks per track (which of course wouldn't be an option with tape) before even starting a mix!

Nowadays if I'm mixing tracks I do the arranging/editing as one session then the mix itself as another...... Otherwise I find I've lost all energy and clarity of though by the time the editing is done.

Ah the good old days when ya used slice your finger once a week while tape editing... Harumph....

• Advertisement

To continue the 'it ain't what it used to be!' rant...

In my very young days I remember doing a session with Colin Boland, brother of Andrew and Tim, in Athlone.

Those boyos used burn the Midnight oil which was a new thing for me.

I distinctly remember dropping in on the bass track and actually falling asleep sitting up , hands on tape machine , before the drop out point a bar later .......

Oh those weren't the days.............. Harumph!

Longer hours but better pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Great videos guys. :)

Advertisement