Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QX9650 cooling

Options
  • 22-03-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

I'm building a new PC at the moment. Specs as follows:

Intel Qx9650
    Evga 790i mobo
    2x 2GB DDR3 memory
    2x 64GB SSD flash drives
    2x Seagate 750GB storage drives
    BluRay reader/writer
    1200 watt PSU
    2x Evga 8800 Ultra or 3x 8800GTX
    all running thru' 3x Dell 2407WFP-HC monitors

Can anyone recommend a decent cooler for the proc? I'm hoping on overclocking to a stable 4GHZ :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

It comes (boxed) with a pretty sweet stock cooler...

Thermaltake Ultra 120 are suppose to be great. Arctic Cooler Freezer 7, Zerotherm Nirvana NV 120, and Cooler Master Hyper 112 are also worth looking at...

Anandtech had a review with a good few coolers..

I would get 2 x 9800gx2,Q9550

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why not get the q9450 and spend the 500e you save on a good water coolin setup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Thanks for the replies :)

I've already got the QX9650 (hoping to upgrade to the 9770 in a month or 2). I've also got the rest of the build too.......just waiting on the mobo. Don't really want to go watercooling it if possible (i've used liquid cooling before with mixed results) so i'd prefer to stick with air.
    The 45nm quads are supposed to run much cooler than the 65nm versions so 4GHZ shouldn't be too ambitious?
    Also...will the GFX be able to handle full resolution gaming across the 3 monitors?

:)

Ah, didn't realise you already had the parts.
    Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 definitely wouldn't get it to 4Ghz, although it's a good cooler, just not the best. The Thermalright Ultra Extreme is the best cooler out there at the moment, followed in a close second by the Tuniq Tower (Tuniq is on special offer on OCUK this week)

Cheers, Pog...... think i'll go for the Thermalright :cool:

• Advertisement

Anyone got any input as to whether the GFX will be able to perform at full resolution (with a decent framerate) over the 3 monitors? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I currently have an sli 8800gtx setup and imo you would be able to run unreal3 and source engine games across three monitors, but at full settings you could just about run crysis on one monitor at very high settings.

Cheers ,Sink. I've got the GFX and monitors already....just need to get a bigger PC desk and set up the lot in a spare bedroom......if i'm let:eek:
    PC will mainly be running Flight/Racing sims :)

One more question. Am I going to run into clearance problems with the Thermalright? I'm running a Tuniq Tower on my Evga 680i at the moment and its pretty darn close to the NB heatsink. Also, will I run into problems if I populate all four dimm slots (running 8gb of 1333MHZ memory)....ie will the sytem remain stable?:confused:

Got my Evga 790i Ultra today :cool:.Might try cooling the proc with an old Coolit Freezone and see how I progress. Starting to be tempted by the 9800GX2 (probably 'cos i've two of them on my desk at the moment :D ) , can only afford one at the minute though. What do you reckon I should go with....3x 8800GTX, 2x 8800Ultra or 1x 9800GX2 (bear in mind that i've got the 8800's already).

Cheers,
    Nforce

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Poor you having to make all these decisions..... :P

Erm, most Flight Sim / Racing Sims dont support SLI or get minimal performance gains from it..

So I would get one 8800Ultra or 9800GTX

You're like a kid in a sweet shop with too much money! Research damnit! Check the compatibility chart of the Tuniq Tower, get the dimensions and see if it fits on the board...

Also I would Watercool a rig like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah the Thermalrite will fit on the 790i no probs. I have one on my 780i and there is loads of room.

Cheers guys...I think that i'll stick with my sli'd Ultras for now. I've a Coolit Freezone but it didn't impress when cooling my old QX6700, hence the Tuniq Tower. Might try it again on the QX9650 :)

I've picked up one of these cases Star Wars Dark Side for the build :)

Nforce wrote: »

:rolleyes: meh, spoils it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

If you haven't got a cooler yet, how bout a Swiftech H20 120 from chillblast.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Nforce wrote: »

I want that...

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

How bout a 305T?

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I want that...

Where?

An old E-Bay purchase.......case is immaculate :)....i've also got one of these cases with Star Wars Light Side panels :)

PS...I know that this isn't Adverts......but I could be persuaded to sell if the price was right ;p

Thanks Toco.......i'd prefer to air cool if possible (i've got a couple of liquid cooling systems already) but if I don't achieve the results I need ,then i'll definitely check out those options :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I want that...

Where?

You do know they are based on a cheap ass chieftech chasis. Had some of them in my lab last year for therml profiling and the side mesh/fan on them is pants (not sure if the one linked to has one) and disturbs front to back airflow. In fact the cooling was so poor due to the large gtx's blocking air from getting to the cpu that preoverclocked systems did not last very long in prime. Ended up having to use a duct to help with cpu airflow. They look nice, but are just plastic over steel cases with better cooling achievable from the Akasa Ecliipse, LianLi, Stackers etc..

Advertisement