Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last day for fee payments.

Options
  • 22-03-2008 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I come from a poor-ish family and it's hard for me to get the money. Does anyone know if they woul let you pay mid april or so? I can't get the money until then and I really need these exams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Can you not get a grant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GurlyGurl

No because we don't meet the requirements. I can get the money, I just need more time. I'm just wondering if anyone know if that's ok. It's really stressing me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Is this the €101 thing? I doubt they wouldn't let you do the leaving cert just because you were late with a payment. Would it be possible to call the state examinations commission and find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Do you have a medical card? if you do, you are exempt from paying the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

They probably just charge you more for paying the fees late. Can't find anything about it on examinations.ie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Also, perhaps I didn't look properly, but I saw no deadline mentioned on the sheet I was given with the details and bank giro on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

i don't think there is a deadline. haven't heard anything about it. in fact i heard/read somewhere that the State Examinations Commission can hold back the results of a student who has not paid his/her fees. so if they hold back you're results until you pay the fee, then they obviously let you do the exam, but they just don't give you the results till you pay.

better get it over with soon anyway. no point in stressing over it while you're trying to do you're exams. If there was a definate deadline we would have heard something about it. so don't worry. and you're not the only one in the country who hasnt paid it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ask your school. I personally had a headmaster that was widely regarded as a bastard - but honestly he was one of the soundest guys in the whole place. Try asking the school to see if they can front you the cash. I'd say it wouldnt be beyond one of your teachers or heads to give you a hand until you can pay them back.

But as the above said I think that may be the case. Ask the school either way they will know which way or the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to your school or local social welfare.
    If your family are that badly off, you should have a medical card, which as was said before makes you exempt from the fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Ring the department of education...018734700...and ask for the exams department. Ask them first before going through the embarrassment of asking a teacher for help. I went through the same thing in sixth year, wound up asking a friend for a lend. Almost wound up asking the teacher, I know it's not a nice feeling :(
    If your family are that badly off, you should have a medical card, which as was said before makes you exempt from the fee.

Not true. Your parent could be above the income threshold to be eligible for a medical card but still be in a lot of debt which they don't take into account. Also you have to be very, very poor (I'm talking the scraps they offer as disability welfare poor) to be eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not true. Your parent could be above the income threshold to be eligible for a medical card but still be in a lot of debt which they don't take into account. Also you have to be very, very poor (I'm talking the scraps they offer as disability welfare poor) to be eligible.
    I have a medical card and I'm not, as you say, very very poor. It's not that hard to get a medical card!! you make it sound like ya have to be white trash or something! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

No I believe that's how you're interpreting it, not what I actually said or implied. My mum was on the disability welfare for a while. The money was incredibly crap. I checked up the eligibilty for a medical card. The money you have to earn is incredibly crap to be eligible. Unless it's changed in the last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Well I don't know anything about disability benefits, but I really don't think it's that difficult to get a medical card.
    Anyways that's beside the point. OP if you explain your situation to the Exams Commission you should be fine. Look in the Golden Pages, there's probably a helpline. Ask and find out.

Advertisement