Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save our Cancer service sligo

Options
  • 22-03-2008 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the address of the online petition for this campaign? :confused:

There are no hits with Google and the website address on Oceanfm does not seem to exist.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

linky

;)

over 5000 votes so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Am I right in thinking you cast your vote without registering even an e-mail address? It seemed like I voted without posting any info at all. Surely that petition isn't worth the paper it's not written on?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

il gatto wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking you cast your vote without registering even an e-mail address? It seemed like I voted without posting any info at all. Surely that petition isn't worth the paper it's not written on?:confused:

it does seem like that to be honest, as if its not a proper petition, thats the only one i know of though

:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Most on-line petitions don't accomplish anything regardless of if they capture your details or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

Yeah just did it there, seems pretty pointless, all that it'll show is that xxxx no of people support the petition. Sure the gov. already know the public are in favour of keeping the service, at least the names to back it up would prove our identity as supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I am a bit undecided about such petitions.

To quote from the petition web site;

"Why should Cancer Patients in the North West have to travel hundreds of miles for assessment, diagnosis, surgery and treatment .."

It might be better to travel hundreds of miles to be treated by a surgeon who treats your specific illness every working hour of his life. Your local Sligo based surgeon may only treat your specific illness a couple of times a year.

It may well be a choice of "convenience OR expertise".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

dewsbury wrote: »
    It might be better to travel hundreds of miles to be treated by a surgeon who treats your specific illness every working hour of his life. Your local Sligo based surgeon may only treat your specific illness a couple of times a year.

It's hard to argue with the "expertese" bit. However it does seem rather unreasonable that this expertese cannot exist north of a the line between Dublin and Galway. I appreciate that this doesn't divide the country equally in two, but it does mean that alot of people north of this line will have a long way to go.

Perhaps it's not too bad for the people of Sligo - our road and rail service to Dublin is improving and we may some day have a rail link to Galway. It is however a long way from north Donegal to any of these centres. Imagine if the scenario was reversed and there was no Cork and Limerick centres. Can you imagine Jackie Healy-Rae staying quiet? Can you imagine the rumpus in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think their campaign is all about having the "expertise" based in the North West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

irish-stew wrote: »
    linky

;)

over 5000 votes so far

Thanks, Linky.

Il Gatto is right. There is no proper petition on the site, just a click counter.
    In contrast, the petition for St Luke's Hospital in Rathgar,
    http://www.petitiononline.com/stlukes/
    asks for name and email address and gives the opportunity to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Essexboy wrote: »
    Thanks, Linky.
    I think you meant to say "thanks irish-stew" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

DurtyMurty wrote: »
    Imagine if the scenario was reversed and there was no Cork and Limerick centres. Can you imagine Jackie Healy-Rae staying quiet? Can you imagine the rumpus in Cork?
    Indeed, I remember Jimmy Devins vehemently saying that Professor Keane would definitley be coming to Sligo and visiting and assessing the hospital here etc.
    I think we all know that probably won't happen and never was on the cards in the 1st place. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I am a bit undecided about such petitions.

To quote from the petition web site;

"Why should Cancer Patients in the North West have to travel hundreds of miles for assessment, diagnosis, surgery and treatment .."

It is wrong that seriously ill people are expected to travel all over the country to get the treatment they need.
    My mum had to treck up to St Lukes, for weeks for her treatment, she said the travelling was worse then the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

muffler wrote: »
    I think their campaign is all about having the "expertise" based in the North West.
    It's hard to argue with the "expertese" bit. However it does seem rather unreasonable that this expertese cannot exist north of a the line between Dublin and Galway.
    There is only so much expertise to go around.
    It is however a long way from north Donegal to any of these centres.
    How far is it from north Donegal to the designated centre in Derry?
    Imagine if the scenario was reversed and there was no Cork and Limerick centres.
    Stop being hysterical.

Population Munster: 1million+
    Population Sligo: not much.

Your location is Dublin, so being surrounded by the best medical care in the country means your opinion counts for little. This is a Sligo forum and seeing as the people in this region will be affected by it in a way you won't, why bother trolling with needless blunt "logic".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

So because we are fewer, we're worthless?

(I feel like a true Sligonian as of this moment, due to the immense degree of hatred I feel for this Dublin ******************bluestreak******* right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Xiney wrote: »
    So because we are fewer, we're worthless?

Worthless ? Absolutely not.

It is simply not practical (or economical) to have an expert in every medical discipline in every county.

It may really be a choice of "convenience OR expertise".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

We're not asking for it in every county.

Galway is simply too far to travel for Cancer treatment. I worked for an Oncology Department for two years, and simply getting out of bed is a struggle for many Cancer patients. Travel can wear them out, utterly. As you can imagine, being worn out before you even try to fight the cancer is not an ideal version of things.

Quebec, where I worked, is a much larger place than Ireland, and it's furthest regions are far more sparsely populated. They created a program where the doctors would fly to the local hospitals and treat the patients there, as much as possible, because it was decided that this is what gave all patients in the province the most EQUAL chance of survival.

If you give part of the country sub par treatment, you are being discriminatory.

muffler wrote: »
    I think you meant to say "thanks irish-stew" :D

Whoops, you are right.

Thanks irish-stew. Sorry about the earlier message. :o

Victor wrote: »
    There is only so much expertise to go around.
    Stop being hysterical.

Population Munster: 1million+
    Population Sligo: not much.

There is no "designated centre" in Derry which is part of the UK. (And there is no motorway from Derry to Belfast as Mary Harney ignorantly claimed.)

The original report on cancer treatment recommended 13 regional units which mysteriously became 8 and the 8 were chosen without any supporting evidence for their selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

il gatto wrote: »
    Your location is Dublin, so being surrounded by the best medical care in the country means your opinion counts for little. This is a Sligo forum and seeing as the people in this region will be affected by it in a way you won't, why bother trolling with needless blunt "logic".
    So whether being right or wrong depends on location, not whether one is right or wrong?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    So whether being right or wrong depends on location, not whether one is right or wrong?

You can be neither right or wrong if the removal of cancer services does not affect you. Furthermore, Derry is technically in a different country and any rumour of patients being sent across the border is purely speculation. Therefore there is no cancer services north of Galway. That's almost a 400mile round trip from north Donegal. It is utter rubbish to defend this with vague statements about how much expertise there is "to go around", especially when you didn't bother to check either the population involved or the distances patients will be forced to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

anyone here manage to get to Dublin yeaterday for the Health Service protest march? went along, some very inspirational speakers especially the guy (cant remember name) who talked about his wife having to wait 7 months to be diagnosed with cancer while someone in private sector is seen in a matter of days, she died about 6 months ago and her husband led the march,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

anyone here manage to get to Dublin yeaterday for the Health Service protest march? went along, some very inspirational speakers especially the guy (cant remember name) who talked about his wife having to wait 7 months to be diagnosed with cancer while someone in private sector is seen in a matter of days, she died about 6 months ago and her husband led the march,
    Susie longe's husband maybe. Died of bowel cancer as a public patient waiting for a colonoscopy i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

just a reminder to those that are interested and who support the demand that cancer services be retained at sligo general there is a protest march and concert planned for this saturday april 26th, see link for details of march route and performers
    http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojmhidid&cat=news

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Completely forgot about the concert planned for today until I was walking up Tobergal Lane and saw portaloos and thought "that's new, right? :confused:"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

lol

great to see a huge turnout today,nearly as much as the march in dublin recently so that says it all.fair play to all involved and great for the performers to give their time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Rossibaby wrote: »
    lol

great to see a huge turnout today,nearly as much as the march in dublin recently so that says it all.fair play to all involved and great for the performers to give their time

Yes it was great, good on the organisers. Hope it raises the profile. Wonderful to see O Connell street used like that, real carnival atmosphere.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

tuppence wrote: »
    Yes it was great, good on the organisers. Hope it raises the profile. Wonderful to see O Connell street used like that, real carnival atmosphere.:)

I would have loved to have been there. Unfortunately I had to finish off a job at home, and I couldn't make it.

I think that today would be a shining example of how we can organise and host outdoor gigs. Sligo should run more entertainment festivals more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Makes ya think about the vast sums of money Bertie and his minions gave to hospitals/roads in the North last year(year before?) doesnt it!?
    We paid for GB/NI Roads FFS!

I would first like to say Keep up the good work to all involved in the campaign!

but i would also like to say to those involved/supporting who voted FF over the last 10 years or so, the Tax cuts/rebats/stamp duty etc you voted for have consequence's, think about this the next time a politician tries to buy your vote with tax cuts/cheap promises

Btw Im not nor never have been a member of any political party

• Advertisement
Advertisement