Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Cathedral sq.

• 22-03-2008 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

The fire brigade were putting out a fire in Cathedral sq. around 6pm. I doubt it'll make You Decor-like headlines, but here's a few pics anyway. :)

flickr

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seems to be a common place for fires! Id imagine its squatters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

Sully wrote: »

it was quiet a serious fire inside and there was nobody inside thankfully and as far as i can recall there has not been a fire in this area for a couple of years now.. so its not really a common place for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

It's a lovely area of the city, I'd love to be able to afford a gaff there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

this sounds abit right,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

i used to live next down in the done up the apartment in no. 1, i can't say that i saw scuatters in there...

That was a listed building... the place was empty enough, if would have to have had an accelerant of some sort.. alcohol or something else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Roen wrote: »
    It's a lovely area of the city, I'd love to be able to afford a gaff there.

It's affordable to rent, but not to buy I'm sure.

i used to €635 a month whilst sharing with one other person in No: 1 flat 1 Catherdral sq. that was a done up flat so it cost more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I know someone who used to live in the upstairs flat next door, with the red door in some of those pics. Didn't seem that good a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

i used to €635 a month whilst sharing with one other person in No: 1 flat 1 Catherdral sq. that was a done up flat so it cost more

The ground floor one to the left of the burnt building?if so i used to live in the exact same flat!

The ground floor one to the left of the burnt building?if so i used to live in the exact same flat!

lol... its been 5 years now since I was there, I was sharing with a woman called Mary... my room was the one that was with the window facing the street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

lol... its been 5 years now since I was there, I was sharing with a woman called Mary... my room was the one that was with the window facing the street

me too haha!i was living there from around sept 2000 t0 january 2001

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How about you guys take it to PM eh? :P Do you really want people knowing your life story!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dan39

As you probably know by now it's John Roberts' former home.

Julian Walton was on Deise AM yesterday, very upset!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

It was the Bishops Palace originally, dates back to Elizabethan times, and was later converted into two houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i'd say developers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 _FRANK_

i used to squat saying that squatters did it is just jumping to conclusions.if you need to squat it is for the want of somewhere safe and dry to sleep/live.so burning your squat to the ground must mean that there are more buildings to squat/burn in waterford.rough guess though and a safe bet is that arsonists did it or maybe i'm jumping to conclusions.i was squatting in cork a few years ago and while i was out the cops came in and burnt it down.in the morning i was woken up downstairs in another squat by cops trying to tell me that i burned it down.apperantly i had left some candles on while i was away.i left the squat in the mid afternoon.maybe we have a serial arsonist cop on our hands.sorry to hear about the building it's one of my favorite parts of the city.

_FRANK_ wrote: »
    i used to squat saying that squatters did it is just jumping to conclusions.if you need to squat it is for the want of somewhere safe and dry to sleep/live.so burning your squat to the ground must mean that there are more buildings to squat/burn in waterford.rough guess though and a safe bet is that arsonists did it or maybe i'm jumping to conclusions.i was squatting in cork a few years ago and while i was out the cops came in and burnt it down.in the morning i was woken up downstairs in another squat by cops trying to tell me that i burned it down.apperantly i had left some candles on while i was away.i left the squat in the mid afternoon.maybe we have a serial arsonist cop on our hands.sorry to hear about the building it's one of my favorite parts of the city.

Its happened before in Waterford that squaters managed to burn down a building accidently so I assumed the same happened here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Its happened before in Waterford that squaters managed to burn down a building accidently so I assumed the same happened here :)

I don't know, there's been a few particularly malignant scumbags in the area during the night over the past couple of weeks. After the fire there was quite a bit of vandalism on cars parked in the square and plants growing there. Luke Wadding didn't escape some mild vandalism either.

They're not the usual kids that hang around there from time to time.

oh yea i wonder who let you have that information wasn't the cops was it?

_FRANK_ wrote: »
    oh yea i wonder who let you have that information wasn't the cops was it?

Nope it was the Waterford People. It was published in one of there papers that circulates through Waterford City & County. Im sure it was in the Waterford News & Star and maybe even the Munster Express. It was around the time U Decor burnt down, the bus outside doolys went on fire and then the building across from the forum went on fire.

So yes, it has happened before in Waterford and its publicly known. Its nothing secret.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    I don't know, there's been a few particularly malignant scumbags in the area during the night over the past couple of weeks. After the fire there was quite a bit of vandalism on cars parked in the square and plants growing there. Luke Wadding didn't escape some mild vandalism either.

They're not the usual kids that hang around there from time to time.

Ah okay. Probably is. If you spot these people hanging around you should call the cops and try and get them moved on. Dont want scumbags buring buildings or vandalising the place! :)

Nope it was the Waterford People. It was published in one of there papers that circulates through Waterford City & County. Im sure it was in the Waterford News & Star and maybe even the Munster Express. It was around the time U Decor burnt down, the bus outside doolys went on fire and then the building across from the forum went on fire.

So yes, it has happened before in Waterford and its publicly known. Its nothing secret.

have to stop you there where do you think the papers get their information?it's not from reporters on the scene.don't believe everything you read in the papers.it's far to easy for the cops to say oh squatters did it when they don't have a clue,then when the real people are caught,well in peoples minds its still the squatters who did it right?why?because the papers said so.

squatters have no rights in this country unlike the uk.squatters rights were introduced there after the 2nd world war because of lack of housing after the soliders came home,however,the irish constitution does state that every irish citizen has a right to an abode.just some info there for any future squatters out there.

besides the fact still remains the cops or the papers do not know who burnt this house down and i still have yet to meet or see a squatter up in court for burning their squat down.

They know it was squatters because they were at the scene and admitted to causing the fire...

my god get a grip man!!! here's your story
    I saw 25 years of hard work go up in smoke’  

THE cause of an extensive fire that completely gutted the You Décor premises in Waterford last week is still unknown. 
    It is the second time in eight years that the premises, on Thomas Street, have been hit by a blaze. 

According to owner Peter Freeman, a concrete bunker installed after the last fire stopped the extensive paint range stocked at the store adding to the fire, which is thought to have started in the front office section of the building. 

“It looks like it was accidental but we won’t know for certain until the forensics are back in the next few days,” said Peter. 

“I was in Paris when it happened. I was watching 25 years of hard work going up in smoke on television,” explained Peter. 

Such was the extent of the damage, the front wall and roof of the building were demolished on Monday morning last, as they posed a health and safety risk. 

“We’re discussing options for a temporary premises and showroom at the moment,” said Peter. 

The long-term plan is to rebuild at the current site but this could take up to six months. 

In the meantime, it will be a number of weeks before the business is up and running. However, Peter has vowed that all the orders made will be looked after. 

The 11 full time staff members, employed at the kitchen and bedroom manufacturing company, are currently on fully paid holiday. 

The fire started at approximately 6pm last Thursday. Nobody was injured despite the large number of apartments in the area. 

However, it caused traffic mayhem and disruption to nearby homes as firefighters battled to get it under control. 

The road remained cordoned off all last weekend as a technical examination of the site was carried off. 

The historic Downe’s pub located quite near the scene suffered smoke damage and remained closed over the weekend. 

Meanwhile, two other fires quite close to the You Décor site are under investigation by gardaí. 

“The three fires are being investigated separately at the moment,” explained Sgt Larry Langton. 

The second fire occurred when a tourist bus was set on alight outside Dooley’s Hotel at 

4.10 early Friday morning. 

The third took place at 2pm in derelict buildings in The Glen, where a number of homeless people had been squatting. 

Anyone with information should contact Waterford gardaí on (051) 305300.

so straight from sgt larry langton the third fire took place in derelict buildings in the glen.where a number of homeless people HAD been squatting.

this fire in the square you say was started by squatters call the number above i will wage you 10,000 euro the cops have made no arrests and are unaware of the whereabouts of the culprits of this fire.

and just to stick it in a bit further to your miscalculations here's the full story as it was printed.

A major fire has devastated the former house of the famous architect John Roberts in the inner city of Waterford last night. The blaze, which was reported around midnight, did destroy much of the old three-storey building on Cathedral Square, opposite Christchurch Cathedral, right in centre of the most ancient part of the city. The old Roberts-House, which bears a blue plaque in memory of Waterford's great architect, has stood empty for some time, as the area is due for re-development. The adjacent buildings to the left and right are also unoccupied at the present time and might have received some minor damage.

Three units of Waterford City Fire Brigade attended the scene and brought the fire under control. There has been no damage to Christchurch Cathedral, but the Fire Brigade cordoned off the area for the time being and will keep a watch in place, to prevent the fire from reigniting.

Roberts+House+fire.jpgThe burned-out building used to be the family home of John Roberts (1712-1796), who during the 18th century designed and built most of Waterford's famous landmark buildings, such as City Hall and Theatre Royal, the Bishop's Palace (now motor tax office), the house of William Morris (now seat of the Chamber of Commerce), and of course (the Anglican) Christchurch Cathedral and the Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Trinity. Waterford, Ireland's oldest city, is indeed the only place in the world where the same architect designed and built two cathedrals (using different styles) for different religious faith communities.

Last night's blaze, whose cause is at this time unknown, was the second major fire in Waterford's inner city in less than three weeks. On the 6th of the month an even larger and more devastating fire had engulfed and destroyed a commercial building on Thomas Street.

end quote.no mention of squatters

Where you getting those quotes from? I dont have the paper anymore and it was either the News & Start (which is online IIRC) and the Waterford People (which ISNT online IIRC). Im very sure that one of the paper said it was as a result of squatters accidentally.

You seem very defensive over something small. Its not like people were named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jdb66

They know it was squatters because they were at the scene and admitted to causing the fire...

Who knows it was squatters?

If they were at the scene and admitted the offence,do you not think they would have been arrested there and then?

Who's you're source of this information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jdb66

So next time there's a fire in the city we can all safely assume it was the squatters that caused it.:rolleyes:

jdb66 wrote: »
    Who knows it was squatters?

If they were at the scene and admitted the offence,do you not think they would have been arrested there and then?

Who's you're source of this information?

Did you read my post at all?

Btw, the fire was caused accidently from what I recall.
    jdb66 wrote: »
    So next time there's a fire in the city we can all safely assume it was the squatters that caused it.:rolleyes:

Did I say that? No I didnt.
    Did I emply that? No I didnt.
    Do I mean that? No I dont.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You seem very defensive over something small. Its not like people were named.

well you are naming a group of people,pigeonholing them with quotes like "i'd imagine it was squatters!" or "Its happened before in Waterford that squaters managed to burn down a building accidently so I assumed the same happened here"
    "Assumptions"<mind how you use them!'here you have me thinking all arsonists are squatters'and vice versa well that is misleading thanks to your assumptions.
    i have squatted with 300 people at the same time we got an eviction order now you would assume why didn't we just burn the whole place down before the bailiffs and the cops came but no we didn't do that we stood our ground now london is minus 1 listed garden.oh well thats the way the cookie crumbles.
    another reason why i think that squatters don't burn down their squats is like where would they sign on from?if you don't have an address you can't sign on.lost weed revenue,loss of free electricty!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement