Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

internet security is it hype

• 22-03-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

Is my microsoft firewall all thats needed to keep my system running clean.

I had mcafee and the computer system ran fine. My subscription ended and nothing changed. My internet browser is about the same and speed test is normal, but my computer system is very slow. The actual pc or my windows xp 2000 are the main suspects, but anything might be the culprit.

What ever it is my system is slow, so slow that I cant play my multiplayer online because it lag's.
    Anyone notice differences in performance due to internet security?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

pirelli wrote: »
    internet security is it hype
    No.
    Is my microsoft firewall all thats needed to keep my system running clean.
    No. You need one firewall, one AV program and 2+ anti-spyware programs. You will also have to responsibly surf the web, keep Windows updated, keep all your security programs updated, scan your computer regularly and download nothing dodgy.
    I had mcafee and the computer system ran fine. My subscription ended and nothing changed. My internet browser is about the same and speed test is normal, but my computer system is very slow. The actual pc or my windows xp 2000 are the main suspects, but anything might be the culprit.
    What ever it is my system is slow, so slow that I cant play my multiplayer online because it lag's.
    Anyone notice differences in performance due to internet security?

You are probably infected. There are lads here who can analyse your computer for infections and will give you instructions when they see your post. Be patient :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Install the no script for firefox plugin .
    Virus aren't going to jump into your machine from thin air . Most will come from websites .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Ok, Thanks

I have seen some threads on trojan's already. Do I have to have Trend Micro Hijack to emulate the log files. I dont have any of these:
    Avast!
    AVG
    Ad-aware
    SuperAntiSpyware

In fact Since mcafee I have only got micrsoft's firewall and whatever is free from mcafee, phishing filter, spyware. Where do I start. Should I download OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer,KASPERSKY ONLINE,SDFix,Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and start saving files first or should I just scan the system or just get AVG etc.
    Any ideas on where to start would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There would be no harm in running DSS and posting the logs to be certain that you're not currently infected.

Ok, Thanks

I have seen some threads on trojan's already. Do I have to have Trend Micro Hijack to emulate the log files. I dont have any of these:
    Avast!
    AVG
    Ad-aware
    SuperAntiSpyware

In fact Since mcafee I have only got micrsoft's firewall and whatever is free from mcafee, phishing filter, spyware. Where do I start. Should I download OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer,KASPERSKY ONLINE,SDFix,Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and start saving files first or should I just scan the system or just get AVG etc.
    Any ideas on where to start would be appreciated.

Step by step process:

Download the installation files found below.
    Disconnect internet cable.
    Uninstall all McAfee products (And reap the benefits)
    Turn off Windows firewall.
    Install programs below.
    Make sure Zone Alarm firewall is turned on.
    Connect back to internet.
    Update all the programs below.
    Update Windows.
    Run scans with programs below.
    Post a log as Aidan said.

These free programs will do the job:

AVG Anti-Virus
    Superantispyware
    Spyware Guard
    Spyware Blaster
    ZoneAlarm Firewall (Disable Windows Firewall)
    McAfee Site Advisor (Needs to be installed over internet)
    Ccleaner (To keep your computer clean and free of junk)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I have removed mcafee and installed avg which has been no problem thus far. (It has two shortcuts on my desktop)
    I wonder however, what happened to the quarantined virus and trojan when I removed McAfee. AVG scan hasnt picked up anything nor has deckards scan or Comodo firewall scan which is also quite good.

I still suspect there might be something there.! If there isnt then Mcafee was quite good, expensive and heavy on system but as good.

I removed mcafee and picked out any junk files and removed several programs that were not being used. I am surprised after downloading AVG and finding nothing and then removing it and downloading avast to still find nothing that it might be just the memory. I have clocked up at least 200 hundred hour's of web surfing with only the microsoft firewall and I have picked up no
    adware or spyware. I will say one thing at least mcafee used to locate 16 cookies every scan. vast and avg dont locate these cookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Internet security is definitely not hype. All you have to do is look at any malware removal forum to see how bad things are.

Lots of users will have no problems with malware if they are careful, but one accidental click on a suspicious site, kids using the PC, falling for other tricks that look really legitimate, will often infect you with some extremely tough infections if you haven't got any protection on your PC.

They may not stop everything, but they will stop a lot. Use no protection at your peril
    Should I download OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer,KASPERSKY ONLINE,SDFix,Deckard's System Scanner (DSS)
    Nobody should download these unless instructed by somebody who knows what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if you dont mind spending cash, professional applications will handle all (or at least most) of the requirements met by installing those multiple apps. Personally I let Norton Internet Security Suite do most of the work; backed up by Spybot Resident. The suite itself provides the vast majority of the Spyware, Virus and firewall needs of my machine. But nothing is better protection than sensible web browsing: the wrong site will tear your computer a new hole.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't use norton. If you want to pay for anti virus then get nod32, this is meant to be the best (I haven't used it myself so I'm not speaking from experience here). Personally I've never had to pay for internet security. All the free stuff does a great job and has kept my system quite clean for the past few years.

All the free stuff does a great job and has kept my system quite clean for the past few years.

Ditto. I've had Panda, Norton and Mcafee and they do the exact same job (sometimes inferior) as their free counterparts.
    Synopsis: Don't waste your money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement