Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand up against crime in City

Options
  • 22-03-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

I saw a guy chase after a would be bicycle thief on William st. today. They split up and got away. What upset me was that people got out of the way of the scumbags. It was obvious from their appearance, dress and the fact that they were running fast that they were up to no good. I spoke with the bike owner later and he told me he has had 5 good bikes stolen as well as cars and other things and he repeatedly said 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH'.
    If everyone stood up to these people THEY would be scared to commit crime.
    Anyone could have stopped the kids running, tripped them up or something. I would love to have been in a position to help him but was unable.

I spent time in Kenya where the custom is to shout thief when someone grabs something and runs. The locals then catch the thief and beat him/her senseless. In the absence of Gardai on the streets I think this might discourage these young criminals.

Any views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Or...as seems to happen when people stand up to crime, they end up worse off. When the guards won't do much, why will local people?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if de cops be afraid so should you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

im afraid you are both right. ppl aare scared to stand up to these thugs. the gardai are scared also. but they NEED TO DO THEIR JOBS and actually stop crime not investigate how a crime happened.

limerick needs a vigilanty or vigilanties

they crime bosses here need to feel clostraphobic not invincible

the problem is so many ppl are taking backhands while other people are simply profiting from helping crime to get away with it.

certain solictors which i will not name but if ur from limerick u know who they are, they profit on getting these crinimals out of trouble.

petty thugs are aloud to intimadate while drug dealers get away with their business while we simply slap anyone on the hand that ends up in court.

im not promoting illegal activity but the gardai need help in a physical sense. we need to take our city back

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

if you laid a finger on them you'd probably get sued

but solictors wouldnt know who it was

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Where'e Chuck Norris when you need him? As for stopping someone who was running away from someone else, could just as easily been one guy running after another guy to give him a hiding, or worse.

I suppose if he had a stripey shirt on, with a racoon type mask on, and a bag labled "Swag" or had "$$$$" on it, I might straight arm the guy. Course that would be the day of the innocent people dress up party or something.. ;)

Did you speak to the police and make a statement?

we could easily stand up to them. if they did sue us we just stick together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

i agree. beat the bast***s. but you could trip them up, and they'd just as quickly get up and stab you in the heart...
    plus i think limerick city is too small to remain anonymous if you were seen giving one of them a hiding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

betonit wrote: »
    if you laid a finger on them you'd probably get sued

nah you'd probably get stabbed instead...

i wouldn't risk it if there were lowlifes, just for someone else's bike... if someone was getting beat up, that is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Going by the above comments it would seem these young kids control the streets. I'm glad they don't read this post or they could become even more brazen.
    I do feel strongly that if the bulk of the population took a stand and fought back, each to their own ability, then these guys would curtail or give up their petty crime and vandalism.

If each member of society adopts an 'it's not my problem, or I don't care attitude' then we have completely lost the plot and deserve what we get.

• Advertisement

i totally agree with builderfromhell. if we all took a stand and said no that we will not tolerate some young kid being bullied or punshed by a group of bullies or some guy who has his mobile or bike stolen in broad daylight just because he is not irish.

we need to be a team. the little gurriers consider themselves a team so why shouldnt we

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dbarcari

A vigilanty group is definitely needed.
    As one scutbag said before, "Dem gardz do notin' for us 'tall"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

as someone mentioned you could get sued.
    You could also get convicted of assault.
    Or you could be targetted by the theives and their associates in some other manner.
    People at the very top and the very bottom of the social spectrum can get away with far more than the great majority of us who are somewhere in the middle.

It's unlikely that a person helping to prevent a scoby from fleeing a crime would be either sued or victimised by these people. If every time they snatch a bag or mobile phone from someone they get whacked, they'll soon give up doing it. It's a lot of hassle for them to take a complete stranger to court especially as that/those people will have left the scene. You whack someone running away with a handbag and leave it at that.
    I believe these people are mostly cowards and would be shocked to find people are standing up to them. without societies fear of them they are powerless.
    They can't take out vendettas against everyone who stops them getting away with crime. Also research has shown that in the heat of the moment most people can't remember what their attacker looked like.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

Me and my friend got attacked one night on the street by three young lads, one of them just walked by and smashed a bottle in my friends face, after a quick scuffle we ran of a bit, but my friend was bleeding badly and we stopped so i could have a look. the gardai arrived in about 2 minutes.
    Asked if we knew who attacked us , but we ssaid no but we could recognise them and decribed them. The Gaurds didnt bother even driving down the street after them. i know the street, there was no turn off for a good ten minutes running at top speed, if they had been bothered they would have driven after them and found them running not far away from where they attacked us.
    They did call us an ambulance before turning the car around and going back they way they came instead of the way our attackers had fled.
    course the hospital was another delightful experiance of how well our tax money is being spent.

Any time i have been attacked, the police have done squat and i spent endless hours waiting in the hospital to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Interesting comparison above with what would happen in Kenya.

Irish people are immeasurably more selfish these days than your average Kenyan. Also I presume the Kenyan legal system doesn't provide a facility for people to sue for assault suffered whilst fleeing in possesion of somebody else's property.

Ireland, and western Europe, have taken liberalist policies too far.

As long as our jails are places to fraternise with other scum, whilst watching telly, lifting weights and hanging Tupac Shakur posters on the wall - we are doomed to endure the scumbags holding the upper hand on our streets. I am not proposing torture of any kind, but at the same time - jail should not be fun. It should be a serious deterrent.

For these young bike thieves, it is likely that their parents neglected their duty to teach their offspring right from wrong, and in fairness, that is not the kids' fault. The state needs to step in and teach them right from wrong, and not let them roam as feral creatures. Also, said parents should incur a small deduction from dole. I pretty much guarantee results after 12 months of such deductions across all our towns, not just Limerick.

Petty crime will only get worse. The more these people realise they can get away with anything the worse it will get. The public need to stop the rot now. Can't rely on Gardai. Thye are, arguably, under resourced and not all motivated to chase after kids in Town.

anyone know wat kinda legal stuff we would need to organise a "neighbourhood(city wide) watch group"?

if possible we could get enough ppl to have a small police force. if we could get 20 ppl. volunteers at first until we find a way to get funding(legally unlike wat we are facing). as for catching ppl we would wear masks to disguise our faces. we would place ppl under citizens arest and bring them to the police station hand delivered. but the ppl being attacked must be willing to make a statement.

this sounds far fetched i admit. but realistically it can be done.

someone needs to do something and i dont think it will be a move made by official government ppl.

we need a group

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

the problem is there is no deterent for criminals to commit crime (at whatever level) . If any right minded person commited a crime the embarrassment and shame alone would be punishement. Those who commit crime and get caught means nothing to them, thats why they do it again and again, NO DETERENT. Im a liberal person but i beleive those who take the civil liberties of others should be harshly dealt with especiallly if repeated. To protect peoples civil liberties. STOP those who take them dont make out their civil liberties are been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

you mean something like the guardian angles mob that patroled the subways in n.y. some years ago, they had purple uniforms, and kicked some real ass, the de cops had to act like cops, not like coffee guzzlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Guys, this is teetering on the edge of vigilantism... I'm all for discussing what can be done, but condoning violence will never be allowed anywhere on boards.

First and last warning.

o i would never ever condon crinimal activity or random acts of violence or even "revenge missions". im just saying that hypotetically would this type of movement be wats needed. sorry moderators if im stepping over the line i dont mean any offence to anyone and if im causing any i will retract my statements

but i have to say a group of volunteer guardians would be a good idea
    not to go cause trouble but to act as security and calm down situtions that they come accross. its just a remote version of a neighbourhood watch

not condoning or talking about illegal activity

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats cool, Paul. Fair enough.

how do u feel about the situation neway? wat would u suggest if u could control the plan of action for one week

Advertisement