Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows smtp server for php scripts?

Options
  • 23-03-2008 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to send emails from a php script (contact form style) but i dont have an smtp server set up on my local machine i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to set up an smtp server on my local machine that would work for php, I have a windows xp machine. I have tried a number of smtp servers but none seem to work can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Have you tried PHP SMTP Server for Windows. Have never used it myself so don't know what the story is with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭fatjose101

i also have the same problem.

I installed php smtp server for windows but when i try sending the mail i get this error

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 515 can not connect to gsmtp147.google.com ! ! in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\processEmail.php on line 14
    response=passed

PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The defaul IIS install includes an SMTP server. If you're running XP Pro, you can install IIS for free.

If you actually want the mail function to work, just configure the IIS SMTP server to forward all mail to your ISPs mail server.

I've heard good things about Mercury mail but I've never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

fatjose101 wrote: »
    i also have the same problem.

I installed php smtp server for windows but when i try sending the mail i get this error

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 515 can not connect to gsmtp147.google.com ! ! in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\processEmail.php on line 14
    response=passed
    I use sendmail for Windows that is part of XAMPP. It allows me to use my email provider's SMTP server and even authenticates me first.
    You might be having authentication issues as I think your 'from' address is gmail.com (IIRC this thread was posted in another boards.ie forum) and maybe google.com is being contacted for authentication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement