Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory Test Tutorials - good idea

Options
  • 23-03-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Extra Classes - Theory

Anyhow, was wondering if any of you would go to a **free-donations going to community if desired** Driver Theory Tutorial given by a driver of a similar age to yourselves...me @ 21 for example. Obviously I'd have to get pointers from instructors etc...and older learners wouldn't be excluded either obviously.

Question is: would you reckon there's a benefit to this? as I know some people who just went in and winged the theory test and passed.

Would you go to a theory test tutorial in the local community 13 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    7%
    EZeeBOS 1 vote
    Only if it was given by a certified driving instructor
    92%
    jhegartyNotMemikemacSeanWThomas_S_Huntersonemeraldstarchris85AlanstrainorSligoBrewerdaveharnettsiobhccMissL 12 votes

Comments

No I wouldn't see the point. Your either going to put the effort in or not.
    It isn't like the practical where you may not be aware of the correct procedure or the mistakes you make.

Have you ever actually done the theory test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

The theory test is relatively straightforward stuff, I think there's a DTT book which covers most of it. You do not need a qualified driving instructor for the Theory test. It would be overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Wholly unnecessary I should think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You should pass with an hour and the book , or you shouldn't be on the road....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

No need for it at all. The theory test is simple enough, mainly common sense imo.

The real place that education is needed is on the practical sides of things especially the stuff that isnt explained in the book such as coutesy which i find very little of most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

chris85 wrote: »
    No need for it at all. The theory test is simple enough, mainly common sense imo.

The real place that education is needed is on the practical sides of things especially the stuff that isnt explained in the book such as coutesy which i find very little of most of the time.

Well stuff like how to indicate on a roundabout and such....basics of driving that you need to know before going near a car.

By practical do ye mean stuff like "the pedal on the left is the clutch" etc?

jhegarty wrote: »
    You should pass with an hour and the book , or you shouldn't be on the road....

Passing isn't the issue. It's the whole attitude displayed in your post which encapsulates the Irish driving culture.

Can you honestly learn, understand and long term memorise everything in that book. If you can't then an hour isn't enough.

Des Bishop passed Leaving Cert foundation Irish, doesn't mean he's any good at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

After passing the theory test learners shouldn't go near a car unless it is with a professional instructor.... they should start to learning the things you are talking about at that stage ... not before doing the theory test....

oh , and for people doing a theory test passing is the only thing that matters...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

The purpose of the DTT is to ensure you have a basic knowledge of motoring before you apply for a learners permit to drive. That's all it's supposed to do.

Indeed, that is the purpose of all driver testing, including the practical test (which your friends have totally screwed up organising). To see whether the motorist is competent and safe or not, and having a satisfactory knowledge of rules of the road.

Either you pass or you don't.

A D3 pass in any Ordinary Level subject will earn you 5 points. In foundation, maybe one or two. A pass in foundation Irish will get you no jobs or anything that requires the Irish language because it is virtually meaningless. It's also not going to help you get into any college that totals your points on your "best six in any year." Because everything else will (or should be) higher.

A pass in the Driver Theory Test, and the Driving Test are worth a little more than a Foundation level D3 result because they (especially the latter) are much harder to obtain.
    Well stuff like how to indicate on a roundabout and such....basics of driving that you need to know before going near a car.

No, the instructor or you accompanying licenseholder will go through all that with you, what the pedals are, how to use the indicators, all that stuff.

Seriously, I'm not having a go here, but do you have a (full) Irish Driving License?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ninty9er wrote: »
    Passing isn't the issue. It's the whole attitude displayed in your post which encapsulates the Irish driving culture.

Can you honestly learn, understand and long term memorise everything in that book. If you can't then an hour isn't enough.

Des Bishop passed Leaving Cert foundation Irish, doesn't mean he's any good at it!

In fairness, from the way Des described that test a monkey would be able to pass it.

• Advertisement

These are covered in the theory test. AS for the pedals, you cannot explain the theory of pedals, you need to have them in a car and them to be shown exactly how they work.

I am talking about practical situations as in driving with them and assessing their driving but you are not qualified to do this as well as the liability insurance im sure that would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

True, you couldn't learn the book in an hour. However, if you've paid any attention as a passenger, you should allready know 80-90% of it's contents.

SeanW wrote: »
    Seriously, I'm not having a go here, but do you have a (full) Irish Driving License?

Yes and have had since I was 18. The point I'm trying to make, which I must say I'm impressed that it hasn't aluded everybody here; is that whether 16 and doing your theory test or 60 with 40 years experience; there's always something new to be learned on the roads, every little helps to coin the Tesco phrase.

Take for example the typical European system whereby you can't sit your theory test equivalent until you've spent approx. 20 hours in a classroom learning the theory of driving. I'm not questioning the benefit, but more asking would you avail of the benefit.

Yes and have had since I was 18. The point I'm trying to make, which I must say I'm impressed that it hasn't aluded everybody here; is that whether 16 and doing your theory test or 60 with 40 years experience; there's always something new to be learned on the roads, every little helps to coin the Tesco phrase.

Take for example the typical European system whereby you can't sit your theory test equivalent until you've spent approx. 20 hours in a classroom learning the theory of driving. I'm not questioning the benefit, but more asking would you avail of the benefit.

Sorry i agree that people should have more done before getting a driving licence but you are not qualified to teach driving. You cannot just get a competent driver of 21 to teach other people the same age, they could be teaching the wrong things.

Teaching people about driving should not be done by someone unless they know what they are talking about and are trained. Nothing worse then someone giving the wrong advice to new drivers.

I admire your want for things to change but i do not think that new drivers would take this up as you have no qualifications.

My opinion on this is that all teenagers should be taught about driving rules in school but only my qualified persons. You may be better focusing on working with a local school in trying to educate them in school by bringing in some professionals to teach them.

chris85 wrote: »
    You cannot just get a competent driver of 21 to teach other people the same age, they could be teaching the wrong things.

Completely agree, wouldn't be just going into a room unprepared. Would seek advice from an instructor/RSA to get the info I needed and tips for how to approach the whole thing.

My driving ain't perfect, nobody's is, but a little more...not even knowledge....just awareness could save a whole lot of hassle down the road.

I'd like to involve things like getting an instructor to help and getting the local fire brigade and HSE to do a live "cut out" which was done at college this year and put the frighteners on a lot of people.

Advertisement