Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

built in BBQ-regrets?

Options
  • 23-03-2008 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi,
    we are considering building a brick BBQ n our back yard, has anyone done this before & if so did you have any regrets:( or tips on how you would have done it differently given the chance:o?

Also where did you get the design? self designed, any info on the subject is appreciated, thx.
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Anyone?

I'm thinking of doing this in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that whatever your using to hold both the charcoal tray and the cooking rack, is jutting out a fair bit. Its hard to explain! I moved to a house that had a built in bbq and I needed to replace the trays, but it was hard to find any that would fit properly. So if you can leave space for a smaller or bigger tray...

I'm sure theres an easier way to describe what I'm trying to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

sueme wrote: »
    The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that whatever your using to hold both the charcoal tray and the cooking rack, is jutting out a fair bit. Its hard to explain! I moved to a house that had a built in bbq and I needed to replace the trays, but it was hard to find any that would fit properly. So if you can leave space for a smaller or bigger tray...

I'm sure theres an easier way to describe what I'm trying to say!

Sueme,
    I think I get what you're saying:
    The shelves that the charcoal tray & the grill sit on are only slightly protruding from the side wall of the BBQ. If they were protuding further in , you would have greater flexibility when replacing the Charcoal tray & Grill. Is that it?

Apart from that id syour built in BBq a bit of a white elephant in the Garden? If it wasn't there when you moved in would you:
    *Definetly build one & why? :)
    *Definetly not build one & why? :mad:

thanks for your replies so far
    Gonzales.

No, if you have enough room go for it. They last forever, instead of replacing a metal bbq after a few summers.

Also be careful where you place it, I have to move my portable bbq (different house) from where it usually lives, as the smoke blows straight into my neighbours backdoor and windows.

Thanks for deciphering my earlier post, it had been a long day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I'm going to be building one in our back garden soon. But one problem I have is what way to cap the bricks? That is, once I build up the brick walls, how to finish off the top neatly.
    The bricks have the holes in them. A regular capping woudn't look great IMO.
    What else could be used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

cap it off with brick in a solider course

Put the bricks sideways. Is that the technical name for it above ^ The Gall?!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

sueme wrote: »
    Put the bricks sideways. Is that the technical name for it above ^ The Gall?!
    It is surely
    If your useing red brick there is three faces that can be used two short and one long so if it's built two couses side by side this method will work this will also work for the ledge. At the height of the ledge instead of the two courses turn the inside course this will give you a 3/4 inch lip more than enough to carry the charcoal tray(and easier to find a tray big/small enough to fit). Do the same heigher for the food tray......hmmmmm BBQ

Advertisement