Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Taxi Drivers and DL Drivers

Options
  • 23-03-2008 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Have anyone ever noticed when driving out of Sligo on the Bundoran road at the last set of lights on the Rosses Point junction, the inevitable race every day to see who gets past first on that dodgy left lane. Nine out of ten times its usually a Sligo taxi 'driver' or a <SNIP> Donegal driver who are in contention.
    Almost all Sligo taxi 'drivers' are some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. Selfish ignorant and impatient, see them every day frantically tearing around town as if that precious fare was to be their last. Dangerously zig zagging in and out of the lanes over the bridge desperate to gain that all important 30 seconds over everyone else.
    As for the DL drivers...Have they ever heard of the word 'brake'? It's that pedal between the clutch and the accelerator.
    Maybe the 'rally mentality' they have up there has a lot to do with them being such incompetent road users.

Edit by muffler: Just be careful with your description of drivers from any area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Funny you mention this because it was only the other day when thought to myself the very same thing.Its outrageous what Taxi Drivers in this town get away with.
    To be honest I have never really the DL drivers thing,but honestly I havn't been looking out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jabby wrote: »
    Have anyone ever noticed when driving out of Sligo on the Bundoran road at the last set of lights on the Rosses Point junction, the inevitable race every day to see who gets past first on that dodgy left lane. Nine out of ten times its usually a Sligo taxi 'driver' or a <SNIP> Donegal driver who are in contention.
    Almost all Sligo taxi 'drivers' are some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. Selfish ignorant and impatient, see them every day frantically tearing around town as if that precious fare was to be their last. Dangerously zig zagging in and out of the lanes over the bridge desperate to gain that all important 30 seconds over everyone else.
    As for the DL drivers...Have they ever heard of the word 'brake'? It's that pedal between the clutch and the accelerator.
    Maybe the 'rally mentality' they have up there has a lot to do with them being such incompetent road users.
    Its clear from that post that you haven't yet figured out that we only sell the cars to the Sligonians. Therefore all this mad driving you refer to is by Sligo drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Muffler you edited the OP but you then quoted the original post - D'oh!

Muffler you edited the OP but you then quoted the original post - D'oh!
    Thanks for that.

I'm still hung over and the brain isn't performing properly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I just thought to myself... "What would Ruu do" :D

• Advertisement

I just thought to myself... "What would Ruu do" :D
    Probably pull the hand brake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Refreshing to know that there are brakes in the DL reg cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

You've described me! And i'm not from Donegal or a Taxi Driver!:D

Seriously though. What's the problem?:confused:
    Like it or not we live in a world where time is money!!!

(Waits for backlash from other Sligo Board Members who are outraged!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Why the mad rush though. Why is everyone in such a panic. YOU WILL GET THERE! Have you ever noticed let's say on a a drive to Dublin for example that some clown might pass you at 140kph ...he/she seem to disappear into the horizon and yet 30 mins later and maybe 45-50km down the road..there he/she is..in a traffic jam!
    This country is too small for excess speed to make any significant difference to journey times. On a recent trip to Cobh Co.Cork, a friend and I left Sligo at the same time. She is a faster driver than I am and neither one of us stopped (only maybe a 10 min one for diesel). She arrived 15 minutes ahead of me and proudly told me of her 140kph speeds she achieved on the way down.
    ...and yes , I do think taxi drivers milling around Sligo town day and night like lunatics is a serious problem and not to be scoffed at.

I'm not advocating Speeding or anything but there are muppets who drive far too slow...
    As for the Taxi Drivers i'm not sure i've ever noticed that with them too much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

ya i find the taxi drivers ignorant here in sligo...very impatient.but the drivers in dublin make sligo drivers in general look like saints

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I think Sligo taxi drivers just pretend to be hard, and look up to Dublin taxi drivers as their heros.

It's quite funny.... they try to be rude, but it's just not in them really ....deep down they're big softies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

the ones in gaillimh are really dead on...sligo ones are grand to chat to,just ignorant on the road i find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The presumption that everyone with a DL reg plate is actually from Donegal (and can therefor be lumped into the same category) is a ridiculous one. I've DL plate as does one of my co-workers & neither of us are from Donegal, or indeed Sligo - in fact he's not even from Ireland.

Do you also think (by default) that every D reg is driven by a Dub?

The presumption that everyone with a DL reg plate is actually from Donegal (and can therefor be lumped into the same category) is a ridiculous one. I've DL plate as does one of my co-workers & neither of us are from Donegal, or indeed Sligo - in fact he's not even from Ireland.

I knew if we persevered long enough we would get a good post from you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Relax, I think its fair to say that most DL cars are driven by Donegal people. Most high end cars are registered to Dublin to help their resale value.

muffler wrote: »
    I knew if we persevered long enough we would get a good post from you ;)

What about the sausages & KFC threads? Pure highbrow reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

There are a few spots around town that local knowledge makes drivers look arrogant and dangerous.
    1> Connaughton Road , Cars going trough the car park and pass all the cars in the traffic coming down from the hospital.
    2> Then onto the hill going onto Bridge Street there are two lanes one for heading to stephen st or staying on for town gratton st. Other for heading onto the pearse road. Next time you are on the lane heading for pearse rd. watch out for the like of me going into the right hand land and passing at least 20 cars during rush hour and always getting back into the left lane around fureys without ever having to push my way in.

These are two moves I would make regular that I know make me look like the type of driver being mentioned above however non of the above are either speeding or dangerous, no way should you be allowed to enter a car park and be able to drive 200 yards then exit passing traffic. But for some reason they took away the stones in the connaughton rd car park to allow this. Also no speed ramps in there either.

Now these are only two examples in Sligo that would get on peoples nerves but along with the inside lane on the Bundoran Rd there are a good few more if we look into it.

PS, O yeah I am form Donegal too but driving in Sligo Town for 10 Years +

The real classic is coming across Hughes Bridge in the turn right only lane and then ploughing straight on through.

With all these "shortcuts" I try and only use them when I'm really in a hurry. Otherwise what's the panic for the sake of 5mins...

Relax, I think its fair to say that most DL cars are driven by Donegal people. Most high end cars are registered to Dublin to help their resale value.

And I thought that was culchies trying to hide their roots.

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote: »
    PS, O yeah I am form Donegal too but driving in Sligo Town for 10 Years +
    It's ok. I can vouch for this guy!:D
    Otherwise what's the panic for the sake of 5mins...
    I laughed out loud when I read this from Counting "Shumacher" Crows!:D

Gillie wrote: »
    I laughed out loud when I read this from Counting "Shumacher" Crows!:D

Thankfully I've left my Schumacher days behind! An armrest and cruise control, the secret to relaxed driving :D

I was gonna say earlier that Sligo taxi drivers are fine, but I'm glad I didn't - I nearly got hit by one at lunchtime today..

I was driving up to the right turn lane at the new lights on the Strandhill Road, turning up towards Magherabouy roundabout, when a taxi came swinging round the bend, across the white line on my side.

Only for I braked in time - which jolted the taximan, who swerved back over to his side of the road, narrowly avoiding me - he would've hit me head on. Stupid old git. He didn't even stop to say sorry, but I know his face & the company he works for, so I'll be on to them about it.

Had a classic on Sunday, was heading out to the local pub with my mate after being on the golden nector all day. As my mate was getting out of the car, Taxi man said to him "Bit of friendly advise, I reckon you've had enough, get yourself home young fella!"

Needless to say he did no such thing!

Sully?

Probably not wise to "out him", he goes by the nickname - The Prince of Darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

More DL reg cars use that left lane at the Statoil because it's the main Donegal road. Unless you are a regular user, there's no reason to presume the lane just stops, making you cut people off to avoid mounting the footpath. Another example of poor traffic management.
    Alot of the taxi drivers are pig f@?king ignorant around Sligo. I have had more near accidents than I can remember with taxis cutting lane changes, driving straight out in front of me at junctions and one tw@t passed me out as I left the lights at Christie's heading up past the Esso station. It was a spectacularly dangerous piece of ignorant disregard. :mad:
    Some of them are good, reasonable drivers. Seems most of them are not.

The real problem as Ilgatto pointed out is the poor management system there.
    There are plans to run Dual Carraigeway from Hughes bridge to Bunduff Bridge which will make a massive difference but it will take some time to happen!

Advertisement