Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Monitior Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

why not get a 24"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

L31mr0d wrote: »
    why not get a 24"?

I was trying to keep the price below 300 quid but can you give me a recommendation on a 24" below 300 inc delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Yep....go for a 24", or at least go for a monitor with full HD resolution should you ever decide to purchase a BluRay drive for your PC.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

my recommendation for the best monitor I've ever had is the 2408 from dell....

dell also do another cheaper 24"..

cheapest place I found was www.pcbuyit.co.uk
    Don't ask questions but they dont charge VAT to ireland..... you have to phone them as there is not an option to deliver to ireland on thier site

I've 3 of the Dell 2407WFP though they'd be well outside your budget..........but i'd highly recommend saving that little bit extra and going for a Dell :)

• Advertisement

The DELL E248 WFP is pretty reasonably priced. But still over €300. Its a TN panel. You'll hear a lot of negative stuff about TN panels but tbh, if you're using it for gamimg you won't notice a difference with other panels, plus TN panels allow for a lower refresh rate which is always good to avoid tearing in games.

What do you currently have as a monitor? I've found if people go from, say a 19" 4:3 monitor to a 22" 16:10 monitor that it feels like a downgrade as the height of the screen is lower. A 24" 16:10 is about the same height as a 19" 4:3 monitor so it will actually feel like an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

Nforce wrote: »
    I've 3 of the Dell 2407WFP though they'd be well outside your budget..........but i'd highly recommend saving that little bit extra and going for a Dell :)

i agree.... especially with the dell 2408 coming in at 360 sterling and the E248 at 220 sterling....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Yeah Extra I was considering the OC monitor but all this business about sending them back for the right panel, I don't fancy the shipping charges if I get one with a row of dead pixels.

@ L31mr0d

I presently have a Samsung 913n 19" which has served me well for the last 2.5 years.
    I was looking at a Dell E248WFP on adverts and I see you have one in your sig, whats your opinion on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

What is the difference between the 226BW and the 2232BW?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

toco123 wrote: »
    What is the difference between the 226BW and the 2232BW?

Panel issue I think, supposedly a lottery if you get one without a problem or not...

They fixed it the 2232BW...

I would go with the Acer 24", has a hdmi port..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-035-AC&tool=3

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Panel issue I think, supposedly a lottery if you get one without a problem or not...

They fixed it the 2232BW...

I would go with the Acer 24", has a hdmi port..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-035-AC&tool=3

Productinformation Additional Information Reviews Manufacturer links E-mail a friend about this product Product Description BenQ G2400W - flat panel display - TFT - 24"
    Device Type Flat panel display / TFT active matrix
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 55.8 cm x 17.1 cm x 44.3 cm
    Weight 6.2 kg
    Diagonal Size 24" - widescreen
    Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.27 mm
    Max Resolution 1920 x 1200
    Colour support 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
    Response Time 5 ms
    Image Brightness 250 cd/m2
    Image Contrast Ratio 1000:1
    Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
    Signal Input HDMI, DVI-D, VGA
    Compliant Standards TCO '03, EPA Energy Star
    Power Consumption Operational

No need for HDMI really , as you could use a DVI adapter. :)

Auvers wrote: »
    @ L31mr0d

I was looking at a Dell E248WFP on adverts and I see you have one in your sig, whats your opinion on it?

have you settled on the BenQ then? The Dell E248 is a no frills monitor. It has only a VGA and DVI connection, no height adjust, no rotate, no wall mount... but it does what it says on the tin. I'm no photographer and use my PC at home for gaming and browsing so it suits me to the ground. Like I said, it uses a TN panel which means you will have restricted viewing angles, but I couldn't care less about that since i'm sat right in front of my monitor, i never need to look at it from an angle.

If you can get that one on adverts for less than 340 delivered to your door i'd go for it. I mean its still sealed and everything.

Also, I found the colour adjust very good on this monitor, it has some pretty good presets depending on what you use it for (i.e. work, gaming, multimedia...etc)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    have you settled on the BenQ then?

Yeah I went through countless reviews\sites\forums and came to the conclusion that the Benq was the best bang for my buck.
    I am more or less the same as yourself don't really care about viewing angles and only use my PC for gaming and browsing as well and I can use this for my 360 when GTA4 comes out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 JmcG

Auvers, I bought that BenQ monitor about two weeks ago from komplett and I highly recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

Macspower wrote: »
    my recommendation for the best monitor I've ever had is the 2408 from dell....

Got mine this morning , excellent monitor would recommend. Definitely worth the extra money if your looking for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Also in the market for a new LCD.

I see there are lots of recommendations for the dell 2408wfp, which is what I've been looking at.

One of the big reasons for me is all the different connections available, I'm assuming that at least 1 of these will last a good 4-5 years :).

And that it also has the DisplayPort which appears to be the standard for the future.

On the other hand I'm wondering if just getting a monitor with DVI would be sufficient for the next 5 years?

I recieved my BenQ G2400w yesterday and I am impressed

the sideways viewing angles iare very good and vertically its not bad either either, it just gets darker quickly.

The backlight bleed is virtually non existent and the blacks are very rich and pure which is fantastic for some 1080p/720p movie viewing.

I also love the BenQ "SensEye" function thats available in the menu which is easy to navigate (once you memorize the five control buttons along the bottom edge) the display modes are Standard, Photo, Movie, Dynamics, sRGB, Photo. Selecting one setting then and then activating SensEye while still in the menus splits the screen in half at one side of the screen showing the present mode while the other shows your chosen mode and you can also toggle through them.

as for gaming I found no ghosting and all looks pretty good but then again I have only played Crysis for about 10mins on it.

I don't want to give the impression that this screen is perfect but for the money you cant go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Got my benq gw2400 yesterday and I am very happy with it. I was initially going to upgrade from a very old 17" crt to a 22" lcd but changed my mind after reading this thread.

Advertisement