Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loading Sata Drivers

• 23-03-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

I am installing XP pro on my new build, Gigabyte P35 DS4 motherboard, sata hard drive and dvd drive, I need to install sata drivers through F6. The problem is my floppy drive is not working,i made the floppy disc on an old laptop taking the correct drivers from the motherboard setup DVD but when i try use it on the new desktop PC it does nothing,i can't hear the floppy drive do anything although there is a green light (on) on the front. Can anyone recommend a workaround?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

yeah just need to make a slipstreamed XP disc to integrate the storage drivers into your XP installation CD.
    follow this guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I thought XP SP2 had sata drivers, only need f6 floppy for the raid driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I thought XP SP2 had sata drivers, only need f6 floppy for the raid driver

Nope I run into the problem quite regularly, but you would think that the would of sorted that problem out with SP1 never mind SP2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Auvers, I tried slipstreaming the driver with no luck. the sata connectors im using are controlled by the ICH9R southbridge,in BIOS i have the satas set to AHCI,Disabled configures it to PATA mode(this is the default setting) and Raid is the 3rd choice.
    When i try install it works fine until it gets to the windows screen that says it is installing and will take 39mins at some point shortly after it will suddenly reboot make its way to the same screen and say it is restarting instalation,it will keep doing this until i shut down.I also tried an IDE DVD ROM DRIVE.
    I got my hands on a floppy drive and tried to make the driver disc,the user manual says i need a dos startup disc with cdrom support,I downloaded 2 different ones.then i boot from that, put my motherboard setup disc in, navigate to that drive follow some simple instructions put a formatted disc in the floppy and it writes my driver disc.Well the two startup discs dont seem to see my disc drive it will let me change from A:\> to B:\> but not to D:\> as the manual states.and while at the B promt the commands i need to use don't work.
    I managed to make the driver floppy on another machine as per the instructions in manual seemed to go well but i got an error when installing thru F6(im going to make another floppy this way this evening in case it was just a bad one)

Thanks for replies and please keep them coming,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

If the southbridge chipset comes out after windows sp1 then you won't have the drivers for the sata controller the same goes for sp2.
    Edit

What colour sata conectors have you your hard disk plugged into?
    Also you said you disabled ahci and tried to install windows and it reboots thats very odd.
    Try delete the partitions using windows setup and try it fresh again with ahci disabled.

• Advertisement

BLACKGOLD, I had AHCI ENABLED, the default is disabled I'll try your suggestion soon as i can Turned PC on and the boot screen was garbled,reseated the graphics card and got it going for a while but went weird again, Its the only piece of kit thats not new so maybe its that thats causing the problems, so i can go no further until i get my hands on another card,

Hey i read something about that on tomshardware before i'll see if i can find it.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/244556-12-warning-installing-windows-ahci-enabled-controllers
    Seems the mbr was messed up for that guy and doing a fixmbr fixed it,

SATA connectors are yellow by the way,

gap34ds406sy8.th.jpg
    Them fellas?

Yes thats the ones. I,ll reset the cmos and try again

• Advertisement

It seems the graphic card was dead,I got another one and i can see the BIOS now but i still have problems with the installation failing at the (WINDOWS WILL BE COMPLETE IN 39MINS) I managed to access the DVD drive from the floppy and copy the sata drivers to another floppy but at F6 i am still getting errors about a txt file or something, I had the bios set to defaults first and then tried in AHCI mode with the floppy disc ready.
    Getting annoyed now:mad:

Should the samsung T166 have hard drive have jumpers on it? as mine does not. if so which pins are for master?

I am running a diagnostic on the hard drive now, Don't know what else to try only put in an IDE hard drive but that defeats the purpose i think.

suggestions please

Rgds D.

I tried an IDE hard drive and im getting the same problem, after windows loads all files and reboots to the graphical windows part of the set up the PC just reboots over and over saying restarting setup, Could it be the motherboard? everything seems fine in bios it recognises CPU,GPU,RAM. I also used a boot disc to look at a few things and all seemed fine, anyone any ideas what i could trouble shoot? Im thinking of trying UBUNTU:o just to see if i can get something installed.Anyone else got the GA-P35-DS4?

Rgds

D

I sent the motherboard back, there is no obvious sign of damage, but after checking all the other bits and not finding any faults i decided it must be the sata/ide controllers, guess i,ll find out soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i always found the simpliest way to set up a raid system is too install xp to an old 10gig ide hard drive, and when its got all its updates and drivers installed just ghost it to the raid array, unplug the ide drive and reboot

leave the 10 gig in the case beacuse its handy if the raid ever fails you wont have to re-install everything and activate again

I was not trying to set up a raid array just install to 1 sata hard drive,
    the motherboard was cheaper than it should have been as it was listed as DEMO although nothing was missing and it was impossible to tell it was used in any way,looked like the box was just opened, so i don't know if they will try repair it or refund me,
    anyone any experience with RMAing stuff with komplett? I sent it back yesterday and have no idea how long it will take.
    I would like to get another board but i don't want to buy one and have komplett send me a replacement too.

Advertisement