Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you sue Met Eireann ?

• 23-03-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

All last week I was watching the weather forecasts for this Easter weekend, trying to decide if I should get the van ready. (getting the cover off, clean it, sterilise the tanks, buy provisions). As they forecasted single digit temperatures, rain/snow and wind, I didn't.

Imagine my disgust when I woke up (rather late) yesterday to a clear blue sky and pleasant, warm sunshine !

Of course, by then it was too late to get the van ready ...instead I had to work in the "garden", cutting and shredding brambles and thorn bushes.

Now I look (and feel) like I had an argument with ten angry cats.

To make matters worse, today it's still pretty decent weather ...so instead of licking my wounds in comfort while it's ghastly outside, I probably will have to go out again and finish off the "garden".

I could / should have been away somewhere !!

Thanks, Met Eireann :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ah go easy on them, it's prob not easy when your job is to predict the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭emaherx

Forget about suing Met Eireann.

Go for the real culprit, Met Eireann only forecast the Weather. Just go ahead and sue God after all Met Eireann didn't make that nasty weather system miss us this week.:D

OK so now I can't go outside for a while for fear of being struck down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I was thinking the same and decided we'd head off on Monday when the worst of the weather was over.........Does anybody know of an undercover campiste? somewhere we could park and not wory about the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

peasant wrote: »
    As they forecasted single digit temperatures, rain/snow and wind, I didn't.

Imagine my disgust when I woke up (rather late) yesterday to a clear blue sky and pleasant, warm sunshine !

Thanks, Met Eireann :mad:

Sunshine at this time of year is warm, but the temperatures yesterday were not.

Nowhere in Ireland saw double figure temperatures yesterday. The snow ended up being slightly east of Ireland and left a widespread covering across Britain. It was quite a breezy day with coastal gale in far north and force 6 to 7 widespread. This as forecast.

So the precipitation was not as widespread or wintry as forecast, but the rest was spot on.

Perhaps it was warmer where you were with all the steam being vented off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

@mothman

It was actually fairly calm here (Sligo) with very little wind, so the sun could work its magic. I was actually sweating while cutting the f*** brambles :D

Generally speaking though, weather forecasts almost always get it wrong for Sligo, or rather Sligo gets no mention.

They're droning on about what a beautiful day everybody had when it was pissing here or forecast dull and wet when the sun is splitting the stones here.

All geared towards the east cost as far as I can tell and anything from Galway to Malin Head usually gets covered in some generic, nondescript - anything could happen forecast for "the West & Northwest".

Not very helpful if you're trying to decide whether to make a weekend away out of it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

peasant wrote: »

Not very helpful if you're trying to decide whether to make a weekend away out of it or not.

But if you're thinking of heading away, it would probably be out of the county and so the forecast for Sligo doesn't matter.

Anyway sounds like some of the garden work was overdue so you should be counting your blessings :p

As for recorded temperatures being in single figures, these would be at sites exposed to north wind. Anywhere sheltered from this wind, such as simply on south side of hedge would experience temperatures much higher (12-15C) in the sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mothman wrote: »
    Anyway sounds like some of the garden work was overdue so you should be counting your blessings :p

Garden work is always overdue ...I'm a camper, not a gardener :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah , I was planning a run in the camper myself and was rarin to go until I heard the atrocious forecast. As it transpired we travelled to Dungarvan and stayed with some friends the weekend. The weather was quite changeable but when the sun shone it was lovely. We got a nice beach walk and were ab le to make the most of the sun when it shone. However, it was quite windy at times , evenings were colder, not barbeque weather. We visited the campsite in Dungarvan and there was not more than twenty people around.
    :p For me it is more enjoyable when there are lots around and people are out and about more than in the campers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Try sueing the Churches :) Ie an act of God.

Billy Connolly made a movie on it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I use BBC/weather for the forcast, I find it a bit more definate.

Met.ie does'nt change its forcast "it might rain or get dark before morning"... that way they'll never be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

As far as I am concerned, the best weather forcasting webiste is http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/index_ht.asp

Check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

If you were to believe the weather forecasters, you would never go anywhere, except your garden to cut the brambles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I walk past Met Eireann most days with the dog and during the last few weeks she's been peeing on it a lot - hope that's some consolation for the OP.

Advertisement