Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal size / dimensions for a cat litter tray?

Options
  • 23-03-2008 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Now that my baby is sick she can't go out to do the business as she previously did and so I have had to install a litter tray in the house - in my case an old discarded baking tray + sand.

Being the intelligent creature she is she immediately knew what it was for and within a minute of it being placed inside she had used it for both No 1 & 2 which is great.

However it seems to me even a large baking tray is too small as she - even with her slow considered clawing of the sand leaves a bit on the floor.

What's the ideal cat litter tray size dimensions?

I am thinking medium sized basin with a section cut out so she can enter & exit but the high sides of the basin preventing sand being scattered all over the floor.

What depth of sand should be used and has anyone used the litter material you can buy in pet shops - supposed to prevent ordours etc - any good? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

If you don't want to buy a commercial covered cat litter I'd go for something like a storage box with nice high sides to prevent her from kicking the litter out onto the floor.

I use this litter for the horde

here

but if they did this one in a big bag I'd use it instead. It's just not economical to use the small bags with the horde.

this one

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Hi - Glad the little cat is home and on the mend!

The bigger the litter tray the better really. There should be enough room for the cat to stand and turn around in it with high sides to stop the litter being kicked over the sides. Washing-up type basins won't really be big enough - something at least 18 inches long would be necessary for an adult cat.

Re: litter type - I have tried absolutely everything and the best I have found is Catsan litter which is available in Dunnes for about e7. Its probably the most expensive unfortunately - but it clumps really well and covers odour reasonably well.

Lidl have a much cheaper litter which is quite good but doesn't clump so well - it just means you'll have to do more clearing out of the tray and washing etc.

I don't like the "lavender" or any other kind of scented litter. It just smells like cheap toilet cleaner and really stinks once they pee in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Like somebody else said - bigger the better.

We have a covered one (similar to this) that they can climb inside

Advertisement