Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight banking problem

Options
  • 23-03-2008 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

Well, I hope it's a slight problem. I had a small enough amount in my account for the last week or two. I withdrew some funds on a couple of occassions, oblivious to the fact that I didn't have enough in my account. It's now at a negative amount (-€50 to be exact). How will the bank react to this? I will have funds coming in next Monday but nothing before that. Do I contact them or will they be contacting me? How will this affect my reputation at the bank?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Usually they will be fine about it. They let you go overdrawn.

They could charge you, but it is unlikely.

Long run, they're not going to be bothered about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

So will I bother ringing them? I never set up an overdraft facility with them so I'm kind of surprised that they let me overdraw...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

It's not an issue, you might get a charge for being over drawn but assuming you don't have bounced direct debits, standing orders or cheques there shouldn't be a problem. Forget it and let the next pay cheque / deposit sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

I have a standing order at the beginning of the month which will really push things to the limit when it's paid off...unhappy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Nordwind wrote: »
    I have a standing order at the beginning of the month which will really push things to the limit when it's paid off...unhappy times.

If the SO comes through before your salary, there's a risk the standing order will be bounced/returned unpaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jj99

im in a similar situation only i have a direct debit paying my credit card bill.
    Will this have long term effects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It may affect you if you want to get a loan. But if you have a regular wage you should be fine.

Advertisement