Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

08183651350 Keeps ringing my landline

• 23-03-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

The above number keeps ringing my landline and when i answer the call drops. Its only started happenning in ther last few days and rings about 10 times a day. I've googled it and it seems to be the Eircom SMS number. I don't have an SMS phone nor ever used the service.

Does anyone know how to stop it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

At a guess it is someone sending SMS to your landline. It could be the eircom service letting you know. I'd contact Eircom about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Happened to my landline a few weeks back. It was mentioned on newstalk a few weeks ago. Apparently a lot of people were experiencing this but no one knew what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

08183651350 is eircom's SMS service centre number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 drop d

This was happening all last week too here.

Finally phoned the gardai as it was happening during the night and this was pissin me off.

They said it was a nuisance call and they would look after it.

ags

not had one since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

I rang Eircom and they said it was a txt message coming through but since i don't have an sms enabled phone the message was constantly being resent.

All sorted now apparantly :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

At a guess spammers, randomly texting landlines?

They'd have more luck with mobile numbers TBH but I'm sure they try that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

this is indeed an attempt to deliver an SMS to your landline phone (not neccesarily spam, someone may have done it accidentally, or similar)

What is supposed to happen however when you pick up a non-SMS phone an an SMS enabled line is that you get an audio reading of the text message. If your phone does not have tone dial or is behind a PBX or something similar interfering with touch tone (DTMF), then just put a mobile phones speaker up to the handset microphone :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Did you ever have an SMS phone on the line before?

What happens is when you get an SMS capable phone, the first time you use it it sends an SMS out and the exchange recognises that you now have an SMS enabled phone.

This disables the audio readout service so any text sent to you will be delivered by modem to the phone.

You may need to ask eircom to reset the service to audio or buy a new cordless phone with SMS capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most better DECT phones and possibly all eircom branded DECT phones do landline SMS. As long as line is not unbundled.

Check the box carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

same number keeps ringing our phone aswell but we have an sms enabled landline phone but never got a txt, when i answer, call just drops...might call eircom myself, see what they say but i can receive sms on my landline...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

This number has rang me 5 times in the past hour - nobody answers when I say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kol1965

I have the same problem. I Think it's relating to an alarm which I've recently installed with an Autodialler. (The alarm send's me and a few others a text when the alarm activates). One of the numbers I asked him to program in doesn't receive a text, so I'm guessing the alarm installer stuffed up and put in a wrong No. and now I'm getting some sort of error message back by the eircom exchange.
    Anyone with this problem have an alarm installed recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need to contact the company that installed the alarm if you think there is a problem.

Since this 2 year old thread has nothing to do with broadband, it's closed now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement