Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fav emo music?

Options
  • 23-03-2008 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

And I don't mean emo in the strictest terms, I mean whatever you feel is emo, I have a few I can think of....

Thursday- Full Collapse

Silverstein- Arrivals and Departures

Jimmy Eat World- (pretty much anything from them)

Talking Back Sunday-Notes from the past

AFI- Sing the Sorrow

Alexisonfire- Crisis

From Autumn to Ashes- Holding a Wolf by the Ears

Coheed & Cambria- In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Tiger Army- Ghost Tiger Rise

Aiden- Nightmare Anatomy

Glassjaw- Everything you ever wanted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

Placebo's music gets me emotional. Running Up that Hill, in particular - a brilliant cover of Kate Bush's 1980's hit. I just uploaded a top quality version to youtube, as it happens, if you haven't heard it.

Also I think for this thread people should provide links to youtube for the songs they are listing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I have a real problem with bands like Placebo and Jimmy Eat World being called emo. The same goes for Brand New.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I have a real problem with bands like Placebo and Jimmy Eat World being called emo. The same goes for Brand New.

+1 to that. I love all those bands and hate the 'emo' tag. I do also like AFI a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Brand new - Sic transit gloria...glory fades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

You can love emo music and not be an emo. I love Placebo, Jimmy Eat World and Brand New but wouldn't have a problem with them being called emo music.

Also love Plain White T's, Panic! At The Disco, Goo Goo Dolls, Boys Like Girls, etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Placebo are a bit older than emo. A good bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I still find it hard to understand what Emo is. Emotional music? Erm... Mogwai, Radiohead or Sigur Ros would fill me with infinitely more emotion. From what I've seen it just seems to be nu-punk... but even gayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yogert

It's got to be The All American Rejects - Can't Take It. Amazing slightly emo song that I only discovered recently.
    And a lovely emo kid put this Smallville montage to go along with the song on youtube......you're all very welcome!

PS The piano breakdown bit is by far the best part of the song from 1:39 on.......:rolleyes:

John wrote: »
    Placebo are a bit older than emo. A good bit older.

As are Jimmy Eat World and Brand New.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Kold wrote: »
    I still find it hard to understand what Emo is. Emotional music? Erm... Mogwai, Radiohead or Sigur Ros would fill me with infinitely more emotion. From what I've seen it just seems to be nu-punk... but even gayer.

I'd say it would be more goth-lite combined with cheesy boy band pop than nu-punk.

• Advertisement

I think it's more of a exagerated (and worse) form of nu-metal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

slipss wrote: »
    I'd say it would be more goth-lite combined with cheesy boy band pop than nu-punk.

Well the kids look like the bastard love children of skaters and goths... But if the parents were lesbians.. These kids have no strong male role model at all it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

NOBODY calls Placebo emo and gets away with it... :mad:

Emo is, as someone said, boy band stuff basically but it's got guitars and takes itself ludicrously seriously - started off by those horrible little brats Linkin Park. Well ok, they're in their 30s but they'll always be moany 16-year-olds to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Alice Junge

"and I don't mean emo in the strictest terms, I mean whatever you feel is emo, I have a few I can think of...."

yup so whatever YOU think is emo, not anyone else!!! subjective not objective !!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

Dudess wrote: »
    NOBODY calls Placebo emo and gets away with it... :mad:

Emo is, as someone said, boy band stuff basically but it's got guitars and takes itself ludicrously seriously - started off by those horrible little brats Linkin Park. Well ok, they're in their 30s but they'll always be moany 16-year-olds to me...

Nobody calls Linkin Park emo and gets away with it

Nobody calls Linkin Park emo and gets away with it

The kids who missed out on the Nu-metal phenomenon are starting to rebrand those bands. Papa roach are also considered emo now and Korn certanly would be were they still putting out music. TBH, if Bowie released a new album I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to put their black painted paws on him too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Bowie

Nobody calls Bowie emo and gets away with it!

:p

Advertisement