Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Saw Course? Where? €€€?? When?

• 23-03-2008 2:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Any body have any info on chain saw courses which deal with general usage
    Or if there are any courses which deal with tree felling on its own.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Coillte run a number of certified courses (you need to do a certified course in order to qualify for professional indemnity insurance- or to rent equipment). You will also be required to do a first aid course before you ever see a chainsaw, which given the nature of the machine, is a very sensible idea. Contact both Coillte and also FAS, who should be able to point you in the right direction. The last course I did was 8 weeks duration (it does qualify for FAS employment assistance payments, and you also are provided with all the safety equipment (kevlar gloves & trousers, helmet with mask, boots etc). You are given a list of suggested chainsaws for the course (which you have to source yourself)- the saw you get, and of course the blades and chains, depend on what you intend to do. A little light tree surgery or first thinnings are probably best tackled with a light weight saw such as the 48cc husqvarna with a short blade. Tackling larger diameter wood is better with something more powerful. Keep in mind that you'll be lugging the saw around all day though- so a macho looking saw might end up being a dead weight (plus it uses a lot more fuel- so you'll have to take breaks more regularly, and bring more with you).

S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

holy smoke! 8 weeks!!!
    I only wanted a short course. i can see how 8 wks might be consumed with lessons and practice.. but 8 wks.. I have to quit work to do that course. as it stands i am trying to gain some extra skills while still in employment.
    But thanks for the info on that on.. interesting that about the first aid being a requirement before you are allowed pick up a chainsaw.

Heres a link to the Coillte Chainsaw training courses.

Contact details for the course organiser are as follows:

Eugene Doyle,
    Team Manager,
    Tel: 086 8117986.
    Email: eugene.doyle@coillte.ie

S.

Last week I done a small course through a training program put in place by the IFA. It was enough for confidence building and taught me a great deal in relation with general care and maintenance of the saw, bar and chain and sprocket.
    Basic tree felling was covered as was sneading, it has given me 100% confidence with the chain saw tool.
    We learned all about sharping of the chisels on the chain..It took three days to do the course but i am glad i done it as i learned a hell of a lot.
    The course was for six people and had farmers as well as dubs, but all learned valuable lessons and new skills

Have you any details about where it was- who in the IFA organised it, whether there was a charge for attending etc? Cheers- Shane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hi,

Treecare Ireland run courses http://www.treecareireland.com/ . I think they may be pricey though.
    Are you looking for training for a saw for use on the farm or do you want to work professionally?

caoibhin wrote: »
    Hi,

Treecare Ireland run courses http://www.treecareireland.com/ . I think they may be pricey though.
    Are you looking for training for a saw for use on the farm or do you want to work professionally?
    Yes thats them. It cost €300 with IFA membership or €420 with out IFA membership. IFA countryside is cheaper than full IFA membership. The country side IFA membership cost €60.. The course took 3 days and was time and money well spent...
    I will have to get a number for the contact in the IFA but Kevin from Tree care Ireland will probably be able to give you the contact detail for a man called john corrarn he will arrange it all.

Advertisement