Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York!

Options
  • 23-03-2008 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

I could have the wrong forum for this but wondering if anyone has any thought on NY - am considering heading there after i qualify to live and teach. Anyone living/lived it NY?? What's it like?? Only been once but would love the experience of living there, only a thought for now but trying to weigh up my options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

I moved here back in 2003 after winning a Green Card in the lottery, and it's the best thing I ever did. Highly recommended. It can be a difficult place to get your hooks into - I was floundering for about nine months before I started to get enough regular work to really dig in, but now I have a great job and I own an apartment in Brooklyn, so it was all worth while! I came without a job offer or even knowing anybody who lived here, so it was a real "from scratch" situation. If you have those things before you get here it will be easier.

If you like cities then this is the place to be. It will seem cheap compared to Ireland - particularly Dublin. Rent is expensive, but food and clothes etc. can be found cheaply. Even eating out isn't too bad, and there's a lot of fantastic food.

Don't get hung up on living in Manhattan, at least not at first. Brooklyn and Queens have plenty of great areas to live and they're much cheaper. The subway is cheap, easy, safe and runs 24 hours a day so if you live near a subway station anywhere is within your reach.

Any specific questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

thanks Ajos!

Just a thought for the moment, I wanna get qualified here first, get some experience and hopefully sort out a job before I head over!! Reckon I'd probably be heading over on my own so its nice to have an idea of what i'm looking at! Totally in love with the place though! :D

It's not for everybody - but if you've already been over here and like the vibe then believe me when I say it only gets better when you live here.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I view it as one of those "great places to visit, wouldn't want to live there"

I mean, I like cities. I live in the San Francisco area. But New York is a bit too much megalopolis for my taste.

I like driving, and going places in the car. Be it down to the rifle range (Not an NYC-friendly sport due to politics) or for a weekend away somewhere. Finding parking in NYC, even in front of your home in Queens (I lived in Sunnyside for a few months) is almost an art. One almost gets a sense of insignificance, just being one of the huddled masses squeezed into wherever one can fit, and getting on the subway for the commute together with the other 6 million drones.

On the other hand, it's New York. Lots of stuff to do, excellent subway system. A bit chilly in winter.

My suggestion: Try before you buy. Visit the place on holiday, and check out places you might be considering living.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I like driving, and going places in the car. Be it down to the rifle range (Not an NYC-friendly sport due to politics) or for a weekend away somewhere. Finding parking in NYC, even in front of your home in Queens (I lived in Sunnyside for a few months) is almost an art. One almost gets a sense of insignificance, just being one of the huddled masses squeezed into wherever one can fit, and getting on the subway for the commute together with the other 6 million drones.

NTM

Used to live 'down the road' from ya in Woodside Queens, and i can say this description of NY as a place to live is perfect.

• Advertisement

I lived in Sunnyside myself for about a year and a half, on 39th Place just off Queens Boulevard. Were you near there at all? I didn't actually realise it was such an Irish enclave before I moved in there - my roommate was Brazilian - but I did appreciate the bars and shops sometimes. Butchers Block FTW!

I agree it's pretty pointless to own a car in NYC. Personally I'm not into cars so I consider the lack of a need for one an advantage, but I can understand others feel differently.

I feel the way about San Francisco the way do about New York - nice place to visit etc. It's a beautiful city, and the vibe there is very relaxed and laid back compared to New York. But I like the energy here, I like the urgency, the sense of possibility. It's exciting and invigorating. Here more than anywhere else I've been I've felt the purported US "Can Do" spirit, and I love the challenge of it. You really feel like anything is possible.

And there are rifle ranges and a bit of a gun culture here - I've been to a range in Manhattan. It's less prevalent than other parts of the US, but it exists if you want it. That's another great thing about here - you can find pretty much anything if you look for it.

Advertisement