Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual OS - XP or Ubuntu?

• 23-03-2008 3:53pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I find I use ubuntu for pretty much everything now on my work laptop. No gaming done on it so no real limitations on graphics etc. Used Vmware last week to install xp in ubuntu and thought it was a very handy alternative to the dual boot I currently have. Just wondering whether I should install windows and have ubuntu as the virtual OS, or the other way around?

All the hardware on my Inspiron 6400 works fine in linux.

After writing this out I'm leaning towards ubuntu, a storage partition, and maybe 40 gigs for xp/vista/any other flavour I want to play with...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'd say XP as guest OS under Linux. All the security benefits, hehe :D

I like Virtual Box -- the drive for the guest OS can be expanded dynamically but then VMWare's system tools for the guest OS lure me.

Maybe stick with XP under VMWare under Linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Obviously Ubuntu as the host OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have to agree, Ubuntu as host

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Whichever one you use the most should be your host OS. From your post that seems to be Ubuntu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

...and windows works quite nicely as a guest under VirtualBox also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Ubuntu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

matrim wrote: »
    Whichever one you use the most should be your host OS. From your post that seems to be Ubuntu

Well, not only that, there's stability to consider as well. Running an Ubuntu VM on an XP host would be like taking a solidly constructed set of shelves with all your best china and strapping them very carefully and securely to a skateboard. Not a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

FruitLover wrote: »
    Well, not only that, there's stability to consider as well. Running an Ubuntu VM on an XP host would be like taking a solidly constructed set of shelves with all your best china and strapping them very carefully and securely to a skateboard. Not a good idea.

I like that :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Lol, using ubuntu now. Xp on a small unloved partition where it belongs..

Advertisement