Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cardboard boxes

Options
  • 23-03-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

afternoon all,

we're moving house at the weekend (farewell liberties, i loved you well), just wondering has anyone any experience of getting sturdy cardboard boxes from shops in the city center for packing our belongings?

TIA

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

agrajag wrote: »
    afternoon all,

we're moving house at the weekend (farewell liberties, i loved you well), just wondering has anyone any experience of getting sturdy cardboard boxes from shops in the city center for packing our belongings?

TIA

Dave
    Power City are always good for large sturdy cardboard boxes if theres a branch near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I just moved somebody to the liberties are the other day :)

Supermarkets are usually glad to get rid of boxes. Just pop in in the morning when it's quiet and they should sort you out. Try and get ones that aren't too small, but aren't too big for one person to carry them. Makes it easier and quicker when moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cormie wrote: »
    Supermarkets are usually glad to get rid of boxes.
    Many of them won't give out boxes as they are obliged to bale and recycle them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Many of them won't give out boxes as they are obliged to bale and recycle them.

Sorry bud, I dont know where you got that from, but your wrong. Any shop will gladly give away cardboard boxes as it saves them money on disposal. We bale our boxes and they go for recycling, but as we pay by the bale collected, the less the better. That is why the discounters encourage people to pick up boxes and take them away.

I suggest the OP goes into his local supermarket and has a quiet chat which the staff. If we know you want them, we will keep them for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Sorry bud, I dont know where you got that from, but your wrong.
    Large multiples that have defined environmental compliance procedures (e.g. ISO14000) shouldn't as they lose end-to-end traceability on their waste management. If they give their cardboard, plastics, etc to someone who isn't an approved agent then they're non-compliant. That said, I can't comment on whether the multiples actually take environmental compliance seriously or not.

I'd expect a lot of individual companies and smaller outlets would still be glad to see someone take it off their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sorry bud, I dont know where you got that from, but your wrong
    The staff in my local well known supermarket must have made it up then so!

Funny, if they are anxious to get rid of cardboard, they don't seem to have any boxes lying around like the smaller independent shops! ;)

Similar thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

agrajag wrote: »
    afternoon all,

we're moving house at the weekend (farewell liberties, i loved you well),

Farewell from the amazing area that is the Liberties.
    cormie wrote: »
    I just moved somebody to the liberties are the other day :)

Woo replacement, they aren't from Waterford by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Farewell from the amazing area that is the Liberties.

Woo replacement, they aren't from Waterford by any chance?

Nope, they were Dubs :)

Regardless of the supermarkets etc, I'm sure SOME shops would be glad to get rid of boxes. Just go along your local main street and pop into shops until you find the right one. Any shops like a gift shop, health shop, sports shop etc should have plenty lying around :)

Advertisement