Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw 318

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Check out the vrt on it before you purchase, make sure you know what you're up for.

They are lovely cars to drive - I've had mine all over the country and it is comfortable and has a decent bit of poke!

The main things to check for are worn bushings and suspension components.
    gsfcarparts.com can supply you with oe quality stuff for very little money - I replaced the front wishbones and rear bushings on my yoke for under 250, not including labour.
    Other items which frequently need replacing are the pcv valve and pipework (about 80 from bmw main dealer)

If you head over to bmw-driver.net, you might be able to get some more info.

EDIT - have a look here, you don't necessarily have to buy with a northern reg - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&sortby=PriceAsc&maxrows=50&MakeID=3&Engine_Min=1900&Engine_Max=1900&BodyID=4232&Year_Min=1997&Year_Max=1999&GroupID=738

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Cheers for the info! out of curiousity, what year is yours?

I'll probably be heading for a 93 or so...or what ever my money will buy. Are there petrol diesel options (hangs head in shame of silly girlyness).:cool:

And the mother approves lol!

Found this one, what you think? I LOVE the angel eye lights. looks beautiful -> http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/318/is-M3/975471/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jamboo

hi all had a 96 320i and it was a grat car not to dear to run and she was as comfy as a modern car,nice bit of ummffff in her to :)

Mine's a 98 - follow the link below!!

Diesel coupes didn't appear until about 2003, and they're still asking for hefty prices!

AC car sales can fit angel rings to existing headlamps for about 200e, or can supply you with them for 100 if you fit them yourself! The ones in your link look like hella units, they'll set you back over 300.

300 squids? jeez, well i've emailed the seller from that website with a few questions etc etc but he hasn't replied yet :(....i'm really interested in that car.

You're selling yours????????? Why?

• Advertisement

Because I've to commute about 400 miles a week, due to recent job change, and I need a diesel!:(

maybe I should be lookin for a diesel..i'm in college in limerick and home is donegal.....it's a long trek and in my own car now the petrol may aswell be falling out of the tank. Ahh... sensibleness always comes back into it :( lol

It's a sign you're getting old! If you wanna stick with the blue and white badge, you'd probably pick up a 318tds or 325tds on your budget - doubt they'll have any less than 100k miles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Have you not seen the price of diesel lately? Stick with your petrol!

And it always comes back to the petrol v. diesel.... I'm thinking, fcuk it and go for the petrol because the price of diesel is scary at the minute (especially for a student) but then 1.9 Petrol and it could drink my funds dry very quickly...but i suppose it all depends on how one drives the car?? :p

I emailed the seller of the above linked BMW but no response as yet :( Might try giving him/her a buzz tomorrow. I really really really want that car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

good car i had one a few years ago just be aware that those bmws had the infamous nikisil problem with the bore linings of their engine but just get someone that knows about cars to have a look its fairly obvious you will hear a tick every so often from the engine , other than that its a super car handles great it has the all round disc brakes twin cam engine and is fairly quick for a 1.9 id say go for it once you go bmw youll never go back i bought my first one about 5 years ago and ive had 4 since just working my way up i now have a 2006 Bmw 330i (272 Bhp serious fun:D)
    but i will stress that the engine problem with the E36 318is is rare so your more than likely fine ,
    P.S. avoid Audi i had one briefly they handle like a pig

Go for petrol if that's what you want - I can get about 420 miles out of a full tank, which costs 60/70 to fill. I'd say you're only gonna be going home on a weekly basis, and the rest for spinning around limerick.

I hate the thought of going to diesel, the only comfort is that hopefully it will be a 6 cylinder!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

davy_b wrote: »
    good car i had one a few years ago just be aware that those bmws had the infamous nikisil problem with the bore linings of their engine but just get someone that knows about cars to have a look its fairly obvious you will hear a tick every so often from the engine ,
    but i will stress that the engine problem with the E36 318is is rare so your more than likely fine ,

this is false information, ignore it.

http://www.bmw-board.co.uk/nikasil.htm

The 318iS won't suffer from nikasil.

Your biggest concerns are suspension on the 318is. Get it checked fully before buying.

Also, no one has mentioned it yet but the 318 you linked is overpriced. Better value examples can be found. Even better if you get one in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Agreed about suspension issues..

I have a 3 series petrol auto 1.8lt. its reasonable on fuel and very very comfortable. However once you hit the 100/120k be prepared to start replacing things.. I just spend 800 euro on 4 new shocks, new fan unit, engine pullie's & belts..steering pump & service included also ( a mate is a mechanic ). 3 months before this i replaced all the brake disks / pads & drums.. and every bushing on the rear suspension.. 3 each side.. the smallest of which was 45 euro each... the others were cheap enough just labour costs to fit.

I also had to get it realigned because it was eating the inner tyre walls before i got the bushings.... Apparently the 3 series are hard on rear tyres??

Its good for another 100k ...touch wood.. but make sure you look over the car properly.. All these things add up.

goodluck!

quarryman wrote: »
    Also, no one has mentioned it yet but the 318 you linked is overpriced. Better value examples can be found. Even better if you get one in the UK.

My problem with gettin one from the UK would be the cost of clearing it? How does VRT work and how is it calculated?? Does it depend on engine size?

As for checking the car over, i'll need to find one of my 'petrol head know it all' boy mates to come with me. They're few and far between tho :(

Advertisement