Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lego Mindstorms Nxt Software and 64bit Vista

• 23-03-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Don't know what forum to put this in, mods move it if you know a better place.

Basically, my 9yo son got this set for xmas, an amazing set, but the problem is the software won't install on 64bit vista and there isn't a linux version. The robots been made nearly 3 months now and we cant program it, I've had a google and come upon this new software, but i can't find a download location. Its not available on the Lego Mindstorms website for some reason. Maybe its not available for free :eek:

I've contacted Lego and am currently waiting for a reply, but i'd just like to know if any of you have the new version of the software or does anyone have a link to a download location.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

Pog

Edit: I've actually found a torrent, dunno whether its going to work or not, will keep ye posted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Try run XP in vmware and see if that does it ? or dual-boot the vista machine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm tryin to avoid that as a last resort, its a bit much for a 9yo to have to launch vmware, boot xp and run the software :D
    I'm already dual booting Vista & Ubuntu, don't want or need another.

There is software available, i'd just like to know how to get it

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Do you have an old machine that you could throw XP on? The software isn't demanding at all, I have the older Lego Mindstorms :o I had to use a serial IRDA adapter to upload the program to the Lego :D

conzymaher wrote: »
    Do you have an old machine that you could throw XP on?

Actually no, have a C2Duo, 2Gb ram, gpu & mobo, would need all else. I'm planning to build him his own rig soon tho with these bits (well more like i'm upgrading mine & giving him my old case & psu).

Torrents done, gonna have a go with that now.

Ok, I have the new 64bit software installed ;)

Next problem is that i cant get my Belkin bluetooth dongle to work under 64bit Vista. Anyone any ideas. I've tried the Belkin 64bit Xp drivers and the Bluesolei drivers. Do i need this working, or can the mindstorms function fully without the bluetooth?

Any advise would be great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Why are you using Vista x64?

mick.fr wrote: »
    Why are you using Vista x64?

Cos i want to :p

Naw, its 2 recognise my full 4Gb ram. I'm finding it great, well supported, not like 64bit Xp was. Not been much trouble with it so far, except with a few things, but i expected that. Had a few problems like core temp and rivatuner not having digitally signed drivers, and having to press f8 on boot-up to disable digital drivers, but the latest versions of these progams have the digital driver. Seems the balance has turned and more gamers (well those who didn't stick with Xp) are opting for 64bit over 32bit.

So, can u suggest how to get my bluetooth going or not? It is a Belkin tho, so i don't expect the support to be great, but it would be nice to have it again.

BTW, this Lego Mindstorms is amazing, i'm havin great fun :D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Cos i want to :p

Naw, its 2 recognise my full 4Gb ram. I'm finding it great, well supported, not like 64bit Xp was. Not been much trouble with it so far, except with a few things, but i expected that. Had a few problems like core temp and rivatuner not having digitally signed drivers, and having to press f8 on boot-up to disable digital drivers, but the latest versions of these progams have the digital driver. Seems the balance has turned and more gamers (well those who didn't stick with Xp) are opting for 64bit over 32bit.

So, can u suggest how to get my bluetooth going or not? It is a Belkin tho, so i don't expect the support to be great, but it would be nice to have it again.

BTW, this Lego Mindstorms is amazing, i'm havin great fun :D

Well having a x64 Vista edition only to gain a bit of memory, that you probably do not use anyway is not justified in my opinion an causes more hassle than it should be.
    A x64 version is really useful if you have more than 4GB of RAM and want to get the full benefits of a recompiled/supported software on a x64 platform.

I would not recommend using a x64 desktop for a day to day usage, unless you have to use very specific applications where the x64 platform is a clear performance advantage, such as 3D soft etc.

You probably know the lack of drivers from the manufacturers on x64 platforms.
    This time will come, but we are not here yet. Look at the time it took to Toshiba and others to get 32 bits version drivers when vista came out.

Really regarding your driver issue have a look to the manufacturers website, if you find nothing try to Google it, I am sure there is a few people in the same situation as you.

Or maybe somebody has the driver down here?

mick.fr wrote: »
    You probably know the lack of drivers from the manufacturers on x64 platforms.

Nope, just Belkin, but i expect that, their Xp support isn't amazing either. You've obviously not tried 64bit yourself. I've not experienced a lack of drivers, my Creative webcam and X-fi work, Rivatuner and Core temp now have digital drivers, Nero and Alcohol 120% work. Most of my games work, well the ones i play do. Its as well supported as the 32bit.

Belkin dont have a 64bit driver released, i've looked. They'll probably not be in any hurry releasing them either. The bluetooth dongle only cost 30e, works fine on Xp, I'll buy one thats supported.

OK, just an update, had another look on the Belkin site, got the latest driver (had been trying a driver for a different device by mistake) and my bluetooth now works again.

Now I haven't got anything thats not supported in 64bit vista, just a few games needing patches, all my Steam games, Fear Combat, Doom, Quake, Quake Wars Enemy Territory, COD2 ,Oblivion & Flight Sim X all work. Rainbow Six Vegas and STALKER are the only 2 I've found that don't run, hopefully they'll be patches soon. How can you say there's lack of support? Its got great support & its improving day by day.

Gotta go build a robot now :D

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You've obviously not tried 64bit yourself.

Don't insult me I was just helping out.

And now your personal experience with Vista x64 does not reflect the reality of the average user and the lack of x64 drivers. As I said this time will come, but vendors still need to catch up.

Now enjoy with your Lego thing

Sorry, No insult intended m8, its just you're 64bit bashing, saying it isn't well supported, when its better supported than you realise. I reckon its near the turning point to 64bit.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Might throw 64bit Vista on my next rig during the summer, Is there 64bit versions of every skew? or just Ultimate?

Also LEGO Mindstorms is ****ing awesome! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,856 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

64bit also has the advantage that there are very few 64bit malware attacks. Also, getting companies to sign their drivers was always a no brainer, it's ludicrous that it took this long for MS to enforce it, especially when most windows crashes are driver related.

Advertisement