Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Races

Options
  • 23-03-2008 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

It's an old 'un, but I like it:

Man from Belfast was down in the Republic for the races. He chose his horse for the first race, and was amused to see a priest blessing one of the other horses. His bed came in third, but the one the priest blessed won a packet. Before the next race he watched to see what the priest would do, and when he started to bless another horse, he put his money on it. It won. Next race, next race, and so on, and every horse won.

Then came the last race of the day, and once again the priest was out there. He walked up to a horse and made the sign over it's hooves, then over it's chest, and finally over it's head. Reckoning that this must be the horse to beat all, the man put all of his winnings and most of his savings on it's nose.

The race started, and the chosen horse staggered away from the stalls, stayed at the back of the runners, and finally dropped dead a furlong from the finishing post. The guy sought out the priest. "Father, what have you done?" he demanded. I put all my money on that last horse you blessed, and now I've lost everything."

The priest sighed "That's the trouble with you protestants. You don't know the difference between a blessing and the last rites."

Comments

Advertisement