Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to buy in Drogheda area....advice pls?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

My friends moved out of tullyallen due to the endless torment from Lavin Park scumbags....be wary. I think the estate they lied in was Ard Raith? BTW what's your budget?..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

by the way, when I was talking about folk hanging around, I know we have the little scumbags all over the place, but these are the men of the house hanging around.....sort of like a meeting point for all the men to talk while the wife cooks the dinner, or looks after the kids...I don't know...just guessing here!

It is perfectly reasonable to assume these ppl are ok, and honest folk, but I am just pointing out that it can be intimidating to live beside....

That's fair enough if that's happening, I take your point.

FWIW, Drogheda is a grand oul town really. If you were looking for a place there pretty much all the estates are fine, with the exception of (parts of) Rathmullen and Moneymore. Southside tends to be considerably more expensive than the northside .

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Hey folks

Just in the early stages of searching for a suitable family home in the Drogheda area.
    Please may I ask for your opinion on a few things?

OK, I heard thet Tullyallen is nice, but there is a rough estate there and many pylons going right throught the middle of estates? Is this true?

I know that TermonAbbey is not the best due to the high rentals to foreign nationals, but Aston Village is right beside this....is Aston Village ok so far?

Also looking at Clogherhead, Harmony Heights in Drogheda, Stamullen, Castlebellingham and Dunleer, is there any of these I should avoid?

Lastly, can any one shed any light on the school situation in Drogheda? Which are the good and not so good schools?

I appreciate any help.
    Thanks

Have you thought about the areas south of Drogheda? Loads of developments and good offers to be had in Bettystown and Laytown. I know it's Co. Meath... but expand the horizons. Best of all, it is near beach and trains only 10 minute drive from Drogheda which is a fantastic town with lots of amenities and all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah, good amenities in bettystown/laytown like terrible roads, a rather poor bus service, and probably one of Ireland's most famous primary schools, such was the overcrowding and waiting lists for it. Though the secondary school is finally opening this year.

Here's one page I saw discussing the twin towns:

http://eastmeath.org/blog/?p=290

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Termonfeckin is your best option, situated right on the coast, you would have a 2 minute walk to a beautiful beach, only 5 minute drive into town. Located on the road is St.Josephs CBS secondary school, the best school in Drogheda. There is a lot of pretty cool smaller estates built/being built in Termonfeckin. It's a very nice place to reside. Just for the record Im not from there, I'm from the town. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 tracer_niall

Just thought I'd give you nice folk an update, we have had an offer accepted on a house in Clogherhead...very excited about it, right beside the beach.....fingers crossed it will go smoothly.

thanks for all your help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

mickey mac wrote: »
    Having worked in Drogheda for a number of years I have noticed that alot of Drogheda people feel that they are somehow superior to there Dundalk counterparts.
    I don't undertand where this idea has evolved from, as I find the people of both towns quite similar, although Drogheda may be slightly ahead in the begrudgery stakes.
    So Kaylee, could you expand on your above statement?

I think you may be reading into it a little bit too much. I am from Drogheda and have friends from Dundalk and at the end of the day its just harmless rivalry... Don’t take it so serious! It is not just one sided! Why Expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Best of luck with the new house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

couple of nice housing estates out the old slane road, look a bit price though. think theyre called boyne hall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just thought I'd give you nice folk an update, we have had an offer accepted on a house in Clogherhead...very excited about it, right beside the beach.....fingers crossed it will go smoothly.

thanks for all your help and advice.

Just noted this thread now, congrats I moved up to Clogherhead over three years ago, best move of my life I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    couple of nice housing estates out the old slane road, look a bit price though. think theyre called boyne hall

Thank you. :D Great place to live, nice and quite and near enough to the town. With the slump in the property market there is one or two bargains here now compared to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 silver94

I have to laugh at people who say there are scumbags in certain areas, if those same people opened there eyes they would see they are everywhere could even be there next door neighbours. I live in a very posh estate and the amount of scum I see everyday. The likes of Termonabbey Aston Village are fine estates they may be big but there is alot of hard working people living there yes alot of foreign nationals but at least they are out working not like alot of Irish Nationals who couldn't care less..... People need to open there eyes and see alot more SCUMBAGS live right under your eyes you just need to open them.........................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Tracer -Niall,

Everyone has there own opinions on where is best, i live just outside Dunleer , its a very easy going place with great community spirit, Dunleer has a good Gaelic pitch , there are juvenile teams from under 8 up and anew ladies team starting next year with 35 girls and ladies, an athletics track which is used by countless people for walks, also a recreation centre , there is a very good national school and a gael scoil in the pipeline for early next year and a newly built secondary school which has some of the best exam results in the county in the past 5 years.

Whilst dunleer is a small town you are only minutes in any direction to the country side, 10 minutes to drogheda and 15 minutes to dundalk, 35 minutes to dublin, a bus service every half hour to drogheda and dundalk,
    a train station that will be open in the near future,.
    A new playground is also to be situated opposite the garda station which will be the new home of the traffic corp.
    Check out the web site www.dunleer.net.

There is not much anti-social behaviour in dunleer, compared to other small towns.

Advertisement