Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

200mph Corvette ZR1 confirmed

Options
  • 23-03-2008 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Probably the best sports car pound-for-pound on the go at the moment after the Nissan GTR is the Corvette Z06, which Clarkson loved when he reviewed it.

It's 620bhp 6.2L successor, ZR1, has been confirmed for production. Now if only we'd get it over here (in RHD form):

112_0802_02z+2009_chevrolet_corvette_ZR1+side_view.jpg

Lovely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Look out speed cameras, here I come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Ah, can't beat a good ol' fashioned American sports car.

Can't see this thing though being in a showroom with a load of Matiz's & Kalos'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Indeed. No-one does muscle like the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

"There's no replacement for displacement" American muscle car philosophy.

American muscle cars are making a comeback. I always preferred the Mustang myself especially the current one though they did loose their way during the 80s and 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bazz26 wrote: »

American muscle cars are making a comeback. I always preferred the Mustang myself especially the current one though they did loose their way during the 80s and 90s.

Nah the current Mustang is just a retro pastiche that has had product placement in far too many crap American TV shows.

The Corvette is a proper sports/supercar - not as sophisticated as Europeans but $$$$s cheaper. This may not be enough in our environmentally conscious age though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Corvettes really are fantastic looking cars. Late 80's/early 90's models aside that is.

"[I always preferred the Mustang myself especially the current one
    I love it too, fantastic looking car, awesome engine and sounds great. It is badly let down by its suspension tho which is quite primitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    It is badly let down by its suspension tho which is quite primitive.

Understatement of the year :D

That said, I'm a great believer in those two powerhouses of American motoring: displacement and the mighty V8!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The new Camaro looks fantastic. Really sinister.

And I'd like to see a Panoz back here, where it all began!

Looks like another American classic, the Pontiac Trans-Am maybe making a comeback:

200722415133960977801.jpg
    2011_pontiac_trans_am-02.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

What's the handling like ;)?

Re. the OP-are those 'OEM' alloys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Caramo, being that big muscle car it is, will soon be available with a 4 cylinder engine, if this is to be believed. I can't wait for it:rolleyes:.

E92 wrote: »
    The Caramo, being that big muscle car it is, will soon be available with a 4 cylinder engine, if this is to be believed. I can't wait for it:rolleyes:.

Definately one for the Irish market. I can see it sitting in the dealer's showroom next to the Lacetti and Matiz.

E92 wrote: »

Sure the Mustang had a 4-pot back in the 80's. And it was shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Ah, can't beat a good ol' fashioned American sports car.

Can't see this thing though being in a showroom with a load of Matiz's & Kalos'!

You wont,
    The 'Corvette' is sold here as a special order but is sold as a brand to disassociate itself from the Chevrolet brand as know in Ireland:)

hi5 wrote: »
    You wont,
    The 'Corvette' is sold here as a special order but is sold as a brand to disassociate itself from the Chevrolet brand as know in Ireland:)

True, but in America they are still sold as Chevy Corvette's.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    What's the handling like ;)?

Re. the OP-are those 'OEM' alloys?
    The Corvette can handle. It's currently available as a 7.0L 505bhp "Z06" and represents fantastic bang for the buck.

Yes, those alloys seem to be standard.

8556_150108114220_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

was at the New York auto show this morning. Have some pics of the ZR1 and the GTR which I will post later in the week . Both absolutely class in the flesh .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You cant compare a Mustang with a Corvette tho, 90% of Mustangs on the road are underpowered all show no go drivel. I think only certain Mustangs (GT, Shellby) could be considered Muscle cars. Comparing a Mustang to a Corvette (in terms of peformance and target market) is a bit like comparing a 1.6L Capri and an RX 7. Granted the capri and RX7 are from different times, but i can think of an 80's car hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Nice car and a lot of bang for the buck but I sat it one at the geneva motor show and im tellin ya .... this thing feels cheap as chips. Truly woefull.

You can actually push the backpanel/bumper in with your hand and it just caves in and pops back out. ... and you can just imagine what the inside feels like.

surely if you have that much money to spend, you would have the decent taste and common sense to buy something made with more quality even if it means a little less speed/power

• Advertisement

C_Breeze wrote: »
    You can actually push the backpanel/bumper in with your hand and it just caves in and pops back out. .
    That might have been a pre-production car you were in, as they're not out till 2009.

OTOH, lots of cars have plastic panels these days. Ever lean up against a Clio?

As regards the interior.. if you want plush buy a Lexus or a Merc. Interior on a car like this isn't high up the priority list imho.

You cant compare a Mustang with a Corvette tho, 90% of Mustangs on the road are underpowered all show no go drivel.

True, I don't consider a Mustang to be the real deal so-to-speak if it doesn't have a V8. Same with an American muscle car.

The new Charger (with the 350 cubic inch Hemi V8) would be a nice every day car if the assets would allow. :)

Advertisement