Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant play Videos in XBMC

Options
  • 23-03-2008 6:43pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭

Ive just recently modded my Xbox to use XBMC. All went smoothly in the Modding but when I either try to stream off my PC or play videos from my added source (F:/Videos on the Xbox Hdd) in the Videos tab from the main menu, it just hangs. It looks like its trying to load up the video but doesnt. I cant escape to previous windows or anything. In the end I just turn off turn on.
    If I navigate to the F:/videos in the file manager, and open the video there, it opens no problem. No hanging, no drama, just plays the file.
    Sourced music works no problem in the music tab from the main menu.

Any ideas?

PS. Its a new 250Gb hard drive I put in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shouldn't matter how you access it to be honest.
    The only time I ever had bad playback issues was a dvd iso file on the network and rebooting the router sorted that out.
    Apart from that HD file playback is crap but thats just a processor limitation and to be expected.
    I have noticed that playback on different version of XBMC varies also as does between my crystal box and the standard black ones (crystal seems to be better accross xbmc builds..dunno why). You could try installing one of the "stable" t3ch builds and see if that makes a difference.
    Sometimes having stuff in the library seems to help to, have no idea why..have you scanned all in and got it in your library?
    Also under settings > system ...have you changed hdd acoustic mode to quiet or enabled the fan controls?..the net effect of changing that stuff will definitely effect performance of heavy duty stuff. I messed about in there and was having some issues initially and just put it back to default values in the end and all runs fine again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hmm sounds like it could be a permissions issue on the PC. Sometimes if you copy files into a shared PC folder, the files don't get their attributes set correctly.
    Try unsharing and sharing the folder again.

You can also enable debug logging in XBMC and try and play the files again.
    You enable debug logging by pressing X & Y while its booting. Grab the xbmc.log file through FTP and copy it to pastebin.ca so I can have a look at it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ill try that now in a min.
    Another thing I noticed is its not reading CDs. It was reading CDs yesterday but I cant think of what I did since.
    EDIT: It may have been reading CDs before I changed the Hard drive!!
    It get to the point of, "press start button" and when I do, it just freezes. Im guessing their both realated.

Cheers for the advice so far

Longfield wrote: »
    Sometimes having stuff in the library seems to help to, have no idea why..have you scanned all in and got it in your library?
    Also under settings > system ...have you changed hdd acoustic mode to quiet or enabled the fan controls?
    What "stuff" in the library helps? What library for that matter?
    Ive not changed the setting of the fan at all, its belting away there like a trooper.

Ive found a few cases of people getting to the "press start to continue" stage and then it pausing, but as always, they never reveal how they fixed it so im at a loss there.

Where is the Log file created on the Xbox after holding X and Y while rebooting?
    Ill check does the same thing happen on my other Xboxs when I mod them.

The xbmc.log file is in the XBMC folder, wherever you installed it. The last version gets renamed to xbmc.old.
    You could also try and delete the video34.db file in XBMC/USERDATA/DATABASE

What version of XBMC are you running? Should tell you in system information which is one of options if you press the power button in lower right corner of XBMC main menu.

• Advertisement

EDIT: Here my log file while running debug http://pastebin.ca/954661

Version I think is:
    Xbox Pre 2.1
    Mplayer XBMC-SVN-r10070-4.1.2 (dec 26 2007 -......)

You are running 3rd March revision, latest version.

What were you doing in the first log? Its giving "Server returned: 302 Found"
    Are you sure you are running in debug mode, free space counter should be in top corner.
    Go to Settings/System. first option should be enable debug logging.

xbmc.log should have DEBUG headers with info on everything.

Edit: If the debig logging option isn't present, you have to hold down both X&Y on boot-up until XBMC loads.

Edited up above there. Line 104 seems to be a problem.

Do as I mentioned above and delete video34.db in USERDATA/DATABASE. Then reboot and XBMC will re-create the video library again from scratch.

Legend! Deleting and rebooting seems to have worked a charm.

Now on to the problem of not being able to start games? This problem unfortunatly didnt go away with the reboot.

• Advertisement

Solved the Game playing issue. Ended up needing to delete some cache files from Q:/System (I think). Got rid of them and its working perfectly.

Actually I think it was the E:\cache folder. This happened again with a second xbox with new bigger hard drive.

Phew, DO NOT DELETE Q:\ CONTENTS.
    Its a virtual drive that has is the XBMC folder.

Q:\System
    E:\Cache

Its all the same really :o

Douglas gamestop in cork still has a few if anyones looking. I picked up one to replace my dud galway one.

Athlones has none
    Galway has none
    Cork merchants quay has none
    Thats all I know of.

Advertisement