Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auto Folding Mirrors

Options
  • 23-03-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Any idea if auto folding mirrors can be retrofitted to any car with mirrors that fold??

Just wondering if it'd be worth the cost to save on the scrapes from carpark trolleys ets as I've noticed 1 or 2 new dings on the car recently and any minimisation of them would be welcome.

If anyone knows that this can be done, how much would it be likely to cost (mirrors are electric heated already if it makes a difference)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ninty9er wrote: »
    Any idea if auto folding mirrors can be retrofitted to any car with mirrors that fold??

Just wondering if it'd be worth the cost to save on the scrapes from carpark trolleys ets as I've noticed 1 or 2 new dings on the car recently and any minimisation of them would be welcome.

If anyone knows that this can be done, how much would it be likely to cost (mirrors are electric heated already if it makes a difference)

Park away from the front door, and away from other cars. Take 2 spaces if you have to.

I had power folding mirrors on the '91 Integra, but they were factory fit.. So in your case ask your uncle maybe? I'm not aware of 3rd party kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If some models of your car come with electric folding just buy a set and wiring shouldnt be too difficult. Some cars have all wiring in from factory so you would just need to get an original switch or if not, it would be still straight forward enough.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Take 2 spaces if you have to.

Never take 2 spaces. Everyone hates that and people who do it tend to get keyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mickdw wrote: »
    Never take 2 spaces. Everyone hates that and people who do it tend to get keyed.

I agree. That's not going to solve the problem...especially when I'm not the only person driving the car.

What type of car is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What type of car is it?
    Astra (98-04). I assume the higher end would have come with it as an option. I was looking for motors on eBay and didn't come across anything though.

Try partsgateway.co.uk

Get the mirrors and the switch and surrounding trim for the switch. Will be costly enough. The mirror case on many cars are the same throughout the range and can have the motor fitted. This would be much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had electric folding mirrors in my last car (factory fitted) and I can tell you they did feck all to stop muppets damaging your car. If these people don't scrape off the mirrors then they tend to aim for the bodywork. Carelessness and ignorance usually have no boundries.

I wouldn't waste time and money trying to retro fit them.

I've done it ever since someone dented the driver door on my wife's car about 4 years ago. I've never had a problem, as I do it away from the front door where people don't really like parking anyway. As long as parking spaces are as narrow as they are I'll keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I've done it ever since someone dented the driver door on my wife's car about 4 years ago. I've never had a problem, as I do it away from the front door where people don't really like parking anyway. As long as parking spaces are as narrow as they are I'll keep doing it.

I don't think that is reasonable.

I actually saw a guy do this in mahon point sc a few months ago. It was sat night and the car park was full. If he parked in two spaces a person in a small car squeezed in right beside him in the 3/4 of a space that was there. and the person at the other side parked right up close to his other door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In a pay carpark, do you pay double for the two spaces you use?

phutyle wrote: »
    In a pay carpark, do you pay double for the two spaces you use?
    No, I park on the top floor, which is usually empty. Couldn't tell you the last time I used a pay carpark tho. Maybe twice in 5 years.
    maidhc wrote:
    I don't think that is reasonable.
    Neither is other people damaging my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Have to say I just got a car with folding mirrors and didnt really care about them before hand...now though I think they are great....you can fold them up going up really tight streets and in car parks.

Advertisement