Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1st gear at a roundabout?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A-Trak wrote: »
    Cheers Seamus and Mr Magnolia..... .......I will of course be telling the tester that a mod and an Smod gave me instruction
    :eek: but the're not Learning to Drive Mods! :pac:

Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

:eek: but the're not Learning to Drive Mods! :pac:

Good luck. :)

Ah but I've read advice in your other posts so you're implicated too.
    Luckily for all I passed with with flying colours.

Thanks lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Youre supposed to put the clutch down on the point of struggle, its fine if it struggles a bit in the test. You wont be marked down for a couple of feet right at the end of braking.

Each car is different, the ones i use dont require more than a meter.
    seamus wrote: »
    Coasting is more riding on the clutch to ease the drive - like sitting on the clutch before a corner, or changing gear but not disengaging the clutch.

Coasting also includes, braking with the clutch in, For example, coming to a red light, clutch in and easy on the brakes until you come to a stop. People do it, they do it because it requires no thought, no attention, and is easier.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Another gearing question. If I have to brake hard (e.g. when coming up to a green light that goes amber at the wrong time or an emergency stop) am I still expected to shift down through the gears or should I just brake hard and clutch in when nescerary.

Youre supposed to go through an amber light rather than dangerously brake, thats the whole point of it. I would slow down but go through it.

Emergency braking is different, You just brake with both hands on the wheel, (youre supposed to stay off the clutch until the last moment, but instinct might make you push in the clutch early, dont worry about that) if the hazard clears before you finish the brake, It can happen that a car in front slams on the brakes and you have to, but before you reach a stop, they are moving again.

Just put it in the right gear to continue on your way, also its fine to skip gears and go from 4th to 2nd etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Youre supposed to go through an amber light rather than dangerously brake, thats the whole point of it. I would slow down but go through it.

Obviously I don't just jam on when ever the lights go amber but if they change at the wrong time you can be a bit far back to get through but still going fast enough to have to break hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some of the signal changes in Ireland are impossibly short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BostonB wrote: »
    Some of the signal changes in Ireland are impossibly short.
    Some of the green sequences are very short but the time between amber and red would be the same everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some of the green sequences are very short but the time between amber and red would be the same everywhere.

Would be or is. How do you know they are all the same?
    Why would an amber be the same for road of different speed limits?

Some are definitely very short even travelling at 20/25mph you have to brake hard at them.

Advertisement