Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Scratchings

Options
  • 23-03-2008 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Does anyone know where you can buy Pork Scratchings in Dublin............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I would also like to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

your best bet is to buy them off the internet via ebay etc

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you're heading towards NI, Asda sell them. I bought a packet there, though have yet to open the pack to try!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I dont know how anyone can stand the sight or smell of pork scratching never mind the filthy taste. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

If no one knows where to buy them in Dublin does anyone know how to make them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

From Yahoo

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
    Pork Scratchings is the British name for deep fried salted crunchy pork rind with fat produced separately from the meat. This is then eaten cold.

Pork Scratchings are typically heavy, hard and have a crispy layer of fat under the skin, some still retain the hair of the pig, and are flavored only with salt. The pig hair is usually removed by quickly burning the skin of the pig before it is cut into pieces and cooked in hot fat. Hair removal is not 100% effective which is why some retain a few hairs. The hairs are what usually makes people question the desirability of these pub snacks, but to some, these can also be highly desirable[citation needed].

In the United Kingdom, pork scratchings (though not crackling — see above) are sold as a snack food in the same way pork rinds are in the USA. Unlike the physically large, but relatively light bags of 'deep fried skin without the fat' sold around the world, in the UK they are sold in relatively small bags which usually weigh between 42g and 90g. Traditionally they are eaten as an accompaniment to a pint of beer in a pub, just like crisps or peanuts. Fewer and fewer pubs stock scratchings as the years go by. One sign of a traditional pub is the availability of Pork Scratchings. Scratchings can also be bought from butchers, supermarkets or newsagents.

Paula Deen has a recipe, I will get it and see if it will work for you.BRB

Home Made Pork Rinds
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Ham skin
    Fine salt

Preheat oven at 325 degrees F.
    Put leftover ham skin on a sheet pan and sprinkle with salt. Bake until nice and crispy, usually about 3 hours.

Jesus christ!!
    What the feck would you want to make this crap for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MC_PO

yeah i know a place in Dublin, just across the road from Fitzsimons in Temple Bar, there is a little spanish tapas bar, Port House, very nice place and lovely pork scratchings!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say the OP found them by now, this thread is 4 years old so I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement