Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis - Sat night

• 23-03-2008 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

Any idea what was going on with taxis in the town last night?? Some sort of strike i heard...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aye i only heard bits of the news, but I gathered they got pissed with the guards who threatened to issue fines due to poor order of the ranks. They have been on the verge of strike for a while now.

I probably got it all mixed up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

To be fair, the ranks often are in poor order with Taxis parked where they really shouldn't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

They start a strike at midnight,
    Mostly rapid drivers , they just think we run Waterford and can do want they like, They let down many of their regulars leaving them suck and with no way of getting home , great P.R again

Not all firms think this way and I would like to thank my regular firm 877710 for there help last night , not only getting me home but helping out a few more regulars in my local including a few elderly people, who would have been left high and dry without their help ,
    Again to the office staff and drivers of 877710 thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

the problem sat nighty started when the rank and apple market was full to capacity bout 10.30 - taxis started double parking on the road outside Geoffs - so the gardai issued tickets for illegal parking -
    the taxis being the usual up their arse selves called a strike which left John st cahotic and did no justice to their cause
    Plonkers!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I remember hearing a story about one taxi driver in Waterford who was ranting and raving about this big strike he was gonna partake in a while back.. then when someone mentioned that when he is striking he would be losing customers to other drivers who wouldnt be striking and also not making money..

It only dawned on him then what was gonna happen and I think he quickly shut up about it then.. :D

A good few are sound out but there are a good few who are complete idiots and not the brightest sparks in the fire either.. :rolleyes:

That thing Sat night was the drivers and not the companies fault, I'm sure 877710 were very good as were many other companies but as about 95% of taxis on the road are private owners, I doubt the companies could do much if their privateers chose not to work and strike instead.. And from what I've seen a lot of em will use any excuse not to work.. :mad:

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

From listening to Billy MCarthy on the repeat last night and reading the radio it seems one of the cabs on John Street was asked to move by a Guard and when he refused he was given a ticket. The driver said that his union reps said he was permitted to park where he was, as it was part of the rank - which a senior guarda agreed to earlier in the week. The guard asked did he "have it in writing" and the driver didnt.

Then, the drivers decided to have a quick get together and a senior guard arrived on scene but refused to take back the ticket because it was not a parking fine but a fine for ignoring a member of the guards. So, apparently it all came to boiling point and the taxis decided to strike (about 10am - 3am) in protest of the poor conditions of the rank for drivers and passengers queuing.

The taxi rep on the radio pointed out that the majority of their customers came out in support of them, and obviously a few were disappointed but arrangements were made to bring people home who required it.

There were other taxi drivers (he called them a particular name, cant recall what but it was a dig anyway (at least, thats what I and other listeners took from it)) who were about picking people up who did not go on strike. He said they should have came out and supported them but they decided not to.

Thats about it... Billy got fed up and ended the conversation. Texts were majority not supporting the taxi drivers, minority supporting them. People said they left their passengers down as it was not planned, drivers have ruled this town long enough, etc. Supporting messages was one from a primary school teacher who said striking is the only way of getting things done and she supported them, inappropriate name calling of the guards for handing out the ticket etc.

I personally dont agree that they should strike over that. Its like a child throwing a tantrum. Whatever about planned strikes but lightening strikes like Saturday night was just stupid and childish regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

Chochese wrote: »
    Any idea what was going on with taxis in the town last night?? Some sort of strike i heard...

what happened was one taxi driver pulled down past the taxi rank line and was issued with a fine and 2 penalty points for parking on double yellow lines and refusing to move when asked to do so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Taxi Drivers are not above the law. If he parked on a double yellow line and/or double parked and the Garda asked him to move, and refused to do so, then he deserves everything he gets.

Do you think for one minute the Garda would behave any different if it were you or I?

Bards wrote: »
    Taxi Drivers are not above the law. If he parked on a double yellow line and/or double parked and the Garda asked him to move, and refused to do so, then he deserves everything he gets.

Do you think for one minute the Garda would behave any different if it were you or I?

The offical statement from the guards state the drive was fined for failing to adhere to a member of the garda siochanas request.

The taxi rep said the driver received the ticket due to the guards on the ground not being informed of where the rank starts or begins and the ticket was not for adhering to the Guards. ie parking on a double yellow line.

The Guards refused to comment any further and the taxi rep just kept making his point about why they went on strike and the guards on the ground should have been made more aware etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

What happens when two power trippers clash. They both sulk and throw strops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement