Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post and TV licences

Options
  • 20-03-2008 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭

bugler wrote: »
    I know the PRTB has a very efficient relationship with An Post. They hand over tenant details right away and An Post act on these to pursue you for a TV licence. So I wouldn't rely on the Data Protection Act too much.
    No.

An Post deliver your post. They keep records of every version of your address that anyone has used. Together with the former occupant re-registering their TV licence elsewhere, the change in occupancy alerts the TV licence section. Blame the ESB, gas, back, yore ma ;), but not the PRTB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

No.

An Post deliver your post. They keep records of every version of your address that anyone has used. Together with the former occupant re-registering their TV licence elsewhere, the change in occupancy alerts the TV licence section. Blame the ESB, gas, back, yore ma , but not the PRTB.

Incorrect.

No one lived in my apartment before me, it was brand new.

I lived here for 14 months or so, and both me and my girlfriend got plenty of post and bills to the house. Not a word about a TV licence during this time.

After 14 months or so, the LL eventually got around to registering the tenancy (after I enquired about his PPS etc).

About 10 days after the registered tenancy form went in, lo and behold what showed up in my mailbox? Quite a coincidence that it arrived at this time considering I'd been in situ for well over a year, don't you think?

It was addressed to the "new resident". AKA we know you just moved in as there's been a tenancy registered.

A couple of weeks after that, they called out to the apartment. "Is that No. xx?" Is all they asked. If they knew my name they weren't letting on. "You'll need to buy a TV licence...I know you've only recently moved in right?" Yes, lied I. Except of course I had been there 14 months. So why did they think I had just moved in? "Just try to buy it over the next 6-8 weeks", they said.

Well I'm the lazy sort so I still hadn't bought it a month later. Then another letter arrived. This time it was addressed personally to me, though. No sign of the girlfriends name.

Why the need for the foreplay of the "new resident" heading on the first letter I don't know. They obviously knew my name all along. I assume it's from some sort of need for propriety. Maybe the inspector who called out was meant to get my name. In my case, the most likely trigger for the licence enquiries was the PRTB form.

Sorry for going OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

About 10 days after the registered tenancy form went in, lo and behold what showed up in my mailbox?
    Yup same thing happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

About 10 days after the registered tenancy form went in, lo and behold what showed up in my mailbox? Quite a coincidence that it arrived at this time considering I'd been in situ for well over a year, don't you think?
    I get the impression that the PRTB aren't that efficient in processing registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If anyone thinks that the licensing is efficient based on PRTB registration, I know someone that was building new house, yes it was a one off out in the countryside but for himself and family.
    Anyway he got a TV license demand before the roof had actually gone on the house.
    I guess they must have figured he like watching TV whilst looking at the stars or else he had to prepay for the priviledge of enjoying RTE's fine programming :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would imagine that there's something else at play rather than the PRTB. When I bought my place, I had a letter in within a week, saying that "We notice that there is no TV licence recorded at your address". I reckon that an post probably do a run once a week, looking for properties with no TV licence registered to them. So as soon as the previous owner/tenant transfers over their licence to their new address, then your address will pop up on the next run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement