Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray going mad on Sky

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Just wondering if Andy Gray's attitude about the sending off had anything to do with the backlash he received for his commentary on the Inter/'Pool tie...

Maybe he was uneasy about getting on 'Pool fans' wicks again?

that may explain a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

So have I got this correct.

Liverpool people/fans don't buy the Sun, they boycott it due to the whole hillsborough thing yet their only gripe against the tv station owned by the same company is the commentator and the fact that he is an ex everton man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

iregk wrote: »
    So have I got this correct.

Liverpool people/fans don't buy the Sun, they boycott it due to the whole hillsborough thing yet their only gripe against the tv station owned by the same company is the commentator and the fact that he is an ex everton man?

no its not that he is an ex-everton man it's that he clearly doesnt like Liverpool and has bashed them at every opportunity - Fergie made 8 (i think!) changes against Liverpool where was his problem with rotation there or how about this ludicrous vendetta he has with zonal marking.

also Murdock had NOTHING to do with the Sun and Hillsborough, in fact i seem to recall a poster here saying that Murdock wasnt to pleased with the papers handling of the affair.

yeah at the time they had nothing to do with each other but now they are the same company. Thats what I was getting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Ah the irony, Andy Gray (whom I dislike anyway with his annoying pally,pally, jokey commentry with Martin, just get a room guys) harping on about the sanitisation of the game when sky analyse ever single angle of every game with their 1000 cameras at every match, even going as far as bringing in lip readers to see what players say, wake up Andy your one of the main reasons players can't talk to refs, if Sky and the rest of the media hadn't analysed Cashley's reaction last Wednesday night to death then Bennett wouldn't have sent Macharano off and given United a handy 3 points so ultimately it cost Chelsea in the long run just a pity they beat the gunners or the irony would have been even better, karma and all that.
    Having said that Mashcarano was an idiot to run half the pitch to argue with the ref, and United would have probably won anyway as they were the better team up to the sending off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

patmac wrote: »
    Ah the irony, Andy Gray (whom I dislike anyway with his annoying pally,pally, jokey commentry with Martin, just get a room guys) harping on about the sanitisation of the game when sky analyse ever single angle of every game with their 1000 cameras at every match, even going as far as bringing in lip readers to see what players say, wake up Andy your one of the main reasons players can't talk to refs, if Sky and the rest of the media hadn't analysed Cashley's reaction last Wednesday night to death then Bennett wouldn't have sent Macharano off and given United a handy 3 points so ultimately it cost Chelsea in the long run just a pity they beat the gunners or the irony would have been even better, karma and all that.
    Having said that Mashcarano was an idiot to run half the pitch to argue with the ref, and United would have probably won anyway as they were the better team up to the sending off.

so basically, ashley cole cost chelsea the league because he is a c0ck!? :D think karma worked out nicely! hehehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

andy gray just hates ALL referees full stop!

What I find hillarious is the lenghts Sky go to on the theatrical side of things in order to hype up the sensationalisim of the prem.

They get a lip reader in to translate what was said between the ref and cole. They show subtitles etc and some guy badgering on in disbelief and how much of a sensational story this is while the lip reader clarifies every single sentance.

What did Setanta do? They played the audio from the pitch side mic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anyone got a recording of andy gray on the last word?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

An Citeog wrote: »
    First of all, it was a second yellow card. It wasn't as if Bennett brandished a straight red. Mascherano has nobody to blame but himself. He got a deserved yellow card for a late tackle on Scholes and one of the most blatant fouls in the game. He then gets up with that smile on his face and starts giving the ref an earful. Same thing when the free was given against him for obstruction on Giggs. Still that same smile on his face as he turned his attention towards the referee's assistant. The third foul on Ronaldo was pushing it slightly. He was never going to get a second booking for the foul itself but he was threading on thin ice and it really doesn't take much for Steve Bennett to brandish the card, particularly if the player is beginning to annoy him and questioning every decision he makes. I guess the Torres one was the straw that broke the camel's back. He had no reason to go near the referee, particularly not when he had to go out of his way to get there. You've already been booked, made a couple of fouls since then and are beginning to get on the ref's nerves and your teammate has just been booked for dissent; so when exactly does it seem like a good idea to go racing over to the ref, past one of your own players who tries to hold you back, just so you can ask him "what was that for", with that same smirk/grin/whatever you want to call it. It wasn't exactly a "let's be friends" smirk on his face, more like a "you're a joke" one. I'm sure that's exactly what Steve Bennett, Rafa Benitez and Mascherano's 10 teammates were thinking at the time. He has nobody but himself to blame. I'm sure Steve Bennett will have no problem justifying his decision to his superiors but how does Mascherano explain his own behaviour during the match? It was clear (to me anyway) that Mascherano had already pressed the self-destruct button and wasn't going the last much longer.

I think the Torres booking was farcical though. He got a couple of kicks (which happens when you're rolling around on the ground trying to protect the ball) and complained about it to the ref. Ref should have just told him it's a free kick, nothing else and left it at that.

This post, for me anyway, sums up the whole incident best. I was watching the game with my father (a life-long Villa fan and ardent ABU) and even he was agreed when the decision went against Liverpool. Mascherano was the proverbial ticking time-bomb, right from that first foul on Scholes.

As for the referee's decision to show the 2 yellow cards (Masch + Torres) for dissent, I (just from playing local, under-age soccer) have met plenty of cantankerous gits in black who would have done the exact same thing. Ask any amateur player in the country and they'll all agree that there's a serious element of egotism/power-madness among many referees. Footballers of all levels have to put up with it, not just Liverpool FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I don't agree that the refs who ref at youth/amateur football are power hungry, I just think they get absolutely abused by the players AND their parents for the whole match. A couple of times when I was playing, the refs had to be protected from scumbags at the end of the match. And I rarely ever saw them brandishing cards.

I think it's good what stevie B did because hopefully it will set a precident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its stupid that Andy Gray gets about an hour ripping apart a players bad decision that they have only has 1/2 a second to make etc. Well done Andy, hindsight is an exact science, well done for pointing out obvious stuff. Useless pundit if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Yeah it's far too accepted as the norm to abuse the ref. You never see it in rugby it's amazing it's tolerated in soccer.
    off.
    </p>
    Refs are miked in Rugby and players are aware of that and the obvious nessecity to keep the language down due to tv coverage. They are warned about this and as its newly professional, aware of the money that comes from tv rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

smog wrote: »
    </p>
    Refs are miked in Rugby and players are aware of that and the obvious nessecity to keep the language down due to tv coverage. They are warned about this and as its newly professional, aware of the money that comes from tv rights.

Nope since the ameteur days of rugby there has been respect for officals. Its always been the way in rugby, and the mikes aren't the only reason why. In mini rugby, schoolboy, club and upwards there's a culture of respect, if you swear or are disrespectful you can get a penalty reversed or whatever the ref decides. Sure in football we always can tell when the players are swearing from lip reading, I don't see Sky pulling the plug on the substansial money they pay for it. Although i'm suprised at times they get away with closing in on a player with the camera who's angry with a good chance he'll swear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dempsey wrote: »
    Its stupid that Andy Gray gets about an hour ripping apart a players bad decision that they have only has 1/2 a second to make etc. Well done Andy, hindsight is an exact science, well done for pointing out obvious stuff. Useless pundit if you ask me.

+1. AND he has the use of technology. Whereas the referees have to make decisions on the spot.

He should get his fat a**e out of the studio, put on the black kit, and try to referee a game to see how bloody difficult it is to make crucial decisions in a split second.

:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement