Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New WTSC website

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

That's a big improvement Sparks, looks good. Tell me, do you know what the Google AdSense is like in terms of earning potential?

The NTSA website could also use it, if it was of any benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No idea yet rrpc, just put it in there to find out. I'm going to let it sit there for a month or so and see what happens. Let you know then?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

While we're on the topic - RRPC's site has a random photo coming up on the RHS, but no obvious link to any galleries. Was this deliberate, or do you need to sign up?

bigred wrote: »
    While we're on the topic - RRPC's site has a random photo coming up on the RHS, but no obvious link to any galleries. Was this deliberate, or do you need to sign up?

No, it's a built in feature of the site template. They're just thumbnails.

At some stage we'll look into galleries, but they're not part of that feature.

rrpc wrote: »
    That's a big improvement Sparks, looks good. Tell me, do you know what the Google AdSense is like in terms of earning potential?

The NTSA website could also use it, if it was of any benefit.

There was a somewhat similar discussion on another forum about the NSRA site.

General conclusion was that the little income generated was not enough to compensate for the 'cheap' look that the google ad gave. PM me for details of the site, its a good target shooting one.

• Advertisement

Geez Zara, stirton.com isn't that big a state secret :D
    And I know what they were saying, but if the ads earn ten euro in a year, that's ten euro more than the club would have had otherwise. Every little bit counts, y'know?

nah, was for the NTSA one I was referring to

I think WTSC should go for it, as the arguments on that thread don't apply at club level

That was my thinking on it as well - but since we've so far garnered the sum total of $0.00, I'm not sure it'll even benefit us :D
    Still, the idea is to try it and see and it'll be a while before we can say for definite one way or the other.

Sparks wrote: »
    That was my thinking on it as well - but since we've so far garnered the sum total of $0.00, I'm not sure it'll even benefit us :D
    Still, the idea is to try it and see and it'll be a while before we can say for definite one way or the other.
    Well, consider yourselves the guinea pigs so and we look forward to hearing of the first million :D

Incidentally, it's not just the ads and the new template, there's also some new bits like online booking for the upcoming open, I'm still kicking the sms stuff down the beach, and there are other fiddly bits happening in the background.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    Well, consider yourselves the guinea pigs so and we look forward to hearing of the first million :D
    By which time we'll have a range in every parish, a section in the Irish Sports Museum for our first four olympic gold medals, and a national ranking system ;)

Incidentally, it's not just the ads and the new template, there's also some new bits like online booking for the upcoming open, I'm still kicking the sms stuff down the beach, and there are other fiddly bits happening in the background.
    The booking system seems a bit clunky for want of a better word. I didn't go all the way thorugh it but it doesn't appear that it incorporates availability within the system.

Do you also have to add every detail as a seperate bookable event?

So far, yeah :( It's not ideal, but it's an off-the-shelf thing, and there aren't many of those that do what we want in Joomla. I'm going to write something custom in the long run, but for this match, I just wanted to see if we could get anything to work at all. There's a whole area of computerising club management here I've been pottering away at for years, and I'm finally getting some traction (not having to worry about NTSA stuff or 14-hour work days helps :D ). Soon as I have something worth talking about, I'll start up a new thread...

Did you look at the booking system we have Sparks? I'm not sure how it all goes together (I'm not the webmaster) but it certainly involves an off the shelf package called JomBok as well as (or maybe not) JomRes.

There are three altogether as far as I can work out. It's not perfect either, but it does have some useful features.

All commercial though rrpc, and you know I break out in a rash if it's not gpl ;)

All commercial though rrpc, and you know I break out in a rash if it's not gpl ;)

Wll that's different of course. I wouldn't want to be responsible for aggravating your allergies :)

Bleurgh. Dunno if anyone's been watching the WTSC website over the past month or so, but if you had, you'd have noticed that it got hacked a lot by some nice russian kids; so we did a clean-out, stripped out the backend software and upgraded all over the shop. And got a nice new theme to go along with it (with neat toys, check out the little icons in the top right).

Take a peek, let me know what you thing and if you see broken stuff?

http://www.wilkinstowntargetshootingclub.org/

OK, first up there seems to be a problem with the menus. The highlight on the 'useful stuff' menu is bigger than the actual menu items, so you can only choose two of the three. This is with both Exploder and Firefox.

The 'neat toys' don't appear in Internet Exploder under Vista, but do appear in Firefox. In fact the whole headline part at the top doesn't really work in Exploder, but I'm used to that with Joomla at this stage.

There's a good few 404's, but you're probably aware of them.

Rats. What browser was that with rrpc?

Just editing the post when I saw your reply, so added the answer to the edit :)

• Advertisement

*sigh*
    All was well in Firefox 3 under linux :D
    Happily I can test on a few machines at work and at home. Thanks rrpc.

Whoops, just realised - the "Useful Stuff" menu only has two options, but the first one is running to two lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Bleurgh. Dunno if anyone's been watching the WTSC website over the past month or so, but if you had, you'd have noticed that it got hacked a lot by some nice russian kids; so we did a clean-out, stripped out the backend software and upgraded all over the shop. And got a nice new theme to go along with it (with neat toys, check out the little icons in the top right).

Take a peek, let me know what you thing and if you see broken stuff?

http://www.wilkinstowntargetshootingclub.org/

Good job on the new template.

Hm yeah noticed it was hacked recently, any idea how it happened - was it just one of Joomla's many exploits, or was it an insecure component added in?

A mix of both. Joomla 1.0.x and Akobook and Akocomment all had vulnerabilities. Too much effort to patch everything, so a clean install of Joomla 1.5 seemed best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

hi sparks is that club airrifle only thanks steve

Air rifle, air pistol and archery steve. We have a few who shoot smallbore as well, but we don't have a 50m range for them to train on.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

There are a few good .22 shooters there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

What's all this then?? I choose any of the links on the homepage and get a 404?? Example as follows;
    http://www.wilkinstowntargetshootingclub.org/index.php/news-mainmenu-2/1-latest/132-weekly-training-time
    404 - Component not found
    You may not be able to visit this page because of:
    1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
    2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
    3. a mistyped address
    4. you have no access to this page
    5. The requested resource was not found.
    6. An error has occurred while processing your request.
    Please try one of the following pages:

If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.
    Component not found

Tried this both logged in and logged out.

new site looks great!

• Advertisement

bigred wrote: »
    What's all this then?
    Turns out Joomla and mod_rewrite don't play well together unless you make them go stand in the corner for a while. Should be fine now.

Advertisement