Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bill Ward: Given the credit he deserves ?

• 23-03-2008 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

It's just that I'm a fan of Sabbath and any of the "Best rock/metal drummers" list I've seen he is there but he is never that high. It is always Bonham and Keith Moon and the like(I'm not saying they shouldn't be there), but Bill Ward was/still is an amazing drummer in my humble opinion.

I mean him and Geezer had a brilliant rythmn section going in Sabbath. Maybe one reason was the fact that the Sabbath line-up became a VERY revolving one at times and maybe for this reason he is overlooked. And he has had health problems as well as his drug demons. Well what do other people think ? Am I preaching to the converted or a lone voice in the crowd ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I agree, Ward is usually left out of 'best rock drummer' polls. I love his style. Very very free as a player, nowadays drummers in the studio are told/expected to follow the click and not to have 'so many rolls' Why? Are we expected to listen to the same style of feckin drumming coming out of studios for eternity?

I suppose thats for another thread though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

He's ****ing fantastic and contributed a lot more to sabbaths sound than you might think at first, but there's only so much room in those polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Rockee wrote: »
    I agree, Ward is usually left out of 'best rock drummer' polls. I love his style. Very very free as a player, nowadays drummers in the studio are told/expected to follow the click and not to have 'so many rolls' Why? Are we expected to listen to the same style of feckin drumming coming out of studios for eternity?

I suppose thats for another thread though!

I agree the drummers before weren't afraid of being safe and playing the same boring stuff over and over again. I mean Bill ward and a bit kit and him pounding seven shades of stuff out of it. Drumming has become very generic I suppose you could say. There is no invention for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

yeah fully agree,,,some of the stuff these days is tedious at best!!...Ward was a great stix man as was Barrymore Barlow from Jethro Tull in the 70's,,,never gets a mention in drumming mags or polls,,,yet he was a real master and had serious chops.....Bonham etc??...give me a break,,,,ughhh Peart whips their asss's anyway hahah Ward was goood for sure :)

ciao' amigos...Baggio.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Baggio wrote: »
    yeah fully agree,,,some of the stuff these days is tedious at best!!...Ward was a great stix man as was Barrymore Barlow from Jethro Tull in the 70's,,,never gets a mention in drumming mags or polls,,,yet he was a real master and had serious chops.....Bonham etc??...give me a break,,,,ughhh Peart whips their asss's anyway hahah Ward was goood for sure :)

ciao' amigos...Baggio.....

Ah now now lets keep the good agreement vibe going. Bonham was a great drummer. Peart, the best thing Canada ever exported perhaps ?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

haha yes agreed,,,bonham was good dont get me wrong...but you know what i mean :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

He's a lovely guy and fought lots of demons, but as a drummer I don't think he was that special.

Of his contempories, I always thought Ian Paice was way ahead of the game with Bonham coming a distant second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Bill Ward was a huge part of what made Sabbath so good in the early days. He has a tremendous sense of swing and groove which was subtle and tastefully done but becomes apparent when you hear someone else try to play his stuff. It's his musical ability, rather than his flashy drum chops, which sets him apart and which is possibly why he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He knew when to keep it straight, he knew when to let rip but he always did the right thing for the song, which is the greatest talent a drummer can have IMO. He gave the doomiest riffs some groove and the many breakdowns and tempo changes which characterised Sabbath's early material he handled with grace and taste. Nobody who has played with Sabbath (the likes of Cozy Powell, Bobby Rondinelli, Bev Bevans and Vinny Appice to name but a few) has ever complimented Iommi's riffs quite as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

..and it goes a little somethin like this kids. HIT IT!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0PVoTJZHs

Advertisement