Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing cases

Options
  • 23-03-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

This could be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyways......I've asked enough in the past before;).

I'm thinging of getting a refurbished Dell computer from their outlet store. there are some pretty good bargains to be had there. When I get it, would it be possible in a few months to take the inner components (motherboard, processor, dimms, hhd, etc.) and switch them to a bigger case? What are the things I need to look out for compatability wise?

the reason I would want to do this is that I would like a file server in my house that would hold four or five hard drive (I'm planning for the future here!). From what I see at the moment, my options for doing this are:

1. Buy a server.
    2. Build my own system.

Buying a server will cost me a small fortune (unless someone can let me know how to get one fairly cheaply), and building my own will cost a little too much at the moment to build a decent spec one. My thinking is that I can buy a decent Dell for €300 and then upgrade case and other component later.

Am I completely mad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

ASRock Conroe1333-D667, Sockel 775, mATX
    34,43 €
    1024MB DDR2 Aeneon PC5400 CL 5, PC5400/667
    12,76 €
    Intel Celeron 420 Box 512Kb, LGA775, 64bit
    28,05 €
    Compucase 6K11BS sch/silb. 350W ,temp-geregelt, mATX
    33,12 €
    2 x Samsung HD753LJ 750GB S-ATA II, 32MB Cache
    96,99 € 193,98 €
    Sum: 302,34 €

So basically you have 1500 gigs and a whole system for 300 quid.
    Fck dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Thanks Blackgold>>

Where are you getting those components from?

And on my original question, would it be possible to transfer all the parts to a bigger case?

As long as its atx or matx or itx standard and it's goign back into the same standard case you can switch no problem.

atx --> atx
    matx --> matx
    etc
    All them parts are from http://www3.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lid=2

Don't waste your time with dell.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

i'd say he went to www.hardwareversand.de

edit ** lol :)

Don't waste your time with dell.:)

Have to say that I've had a Dell PC for 5 years now and its brilliant. Its just now getting a little long in the tooth...but maybe thats something to do with the 5 billion programs I have installed on it:D

• Advertisement

I was talking in context :) to his situation ,
    sorry if I offended you sir lol:D

I was talking in context :) to his situation ,
    sorry if I offended you sir lol:D

Sorry...it was just close to the bone.....I work for Dell:D Haha

At the moment I'm taking your advice on building my own system. Trying to put a config together (I've up my specs/budget now...lol).

I'll post it in a while....you might throw an expert eye over it and let me know what you think....will probably be a few hours.

If its a file server you can use 256 meg ram and a 700mhz cpu there's no need to turn it into something it's not ;)
    Haha i love dell really :)

there's no need to turn it into something it's not ;)

Point taken.

I probably didn't amke my plans clear enough in the original post....I have a grand vision for things:)

As I stated a little earlier, my current PC is dying and needs replacement. I also would like a way of sharing my files with others in the house, and sending them to an xbox with XBMC in the living room so i can listen to all my music and watch videos.

My initial plan was a server/NAS solution, and a seperate PC/notebook in my room for myself. I had briefly looked at building my own PC or server, but had dropped that idea when I briefly looked at the buying the components. I (incorrectly) calculated the cost as too high, and decided to stay with a 2 system solution.

From looking at your recommended system, I can now see that I can build a system myself relatively cheaply. This system would sit in my room and serve as my primary system. As well as this it would work as a file server.

Here's the system I'm thinking about now:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=571009&su=6258A4FD-055B-445A-8908-DFDCC9C134FA

Do these specs look ok?

What about my "grand vision"? Does that seem sound enough? Or am I better with two systems?

Ah ok thats a very exotic setup :)
    I assume you play games on the xbox not the pc right?
    If the computer is just used to watch vids surf the web and serve files then you could cut the cost alot more .
    460.91 without hard drives and ram is not really that cheap .
    Depending on your reply i'll put something else together from komplette but it will cost alot more then the german site.

• Advertisement

Ah ok thats a very exotic setup :)
    I assume you play games on the xbox not the pc right?
    If the computer is just used to watch vids surf the web and serve files then you could cut the cost alot more .
    460.91 without hard drives and ram is not really that cheap .
    Depending on your reply i'll put something else together from komplette but it will cost alot more then the german site.

Had RAM (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333974) but somehow managed to delete it from basket:)

I'll be using the PC for:
    1. Listening to music
    2. Watching films (avi and DVD)
    3. Web browsing.
    4. 2D and 3D CAD (hence all the RAM!)
    5. CD/DVD burning
    6. No gaming....I don't play alot, and what I do play will be on the xbox.
    7. ...and boards.ie of course :)
    I have a 26" LCD with VGA and DVI. I will also be using my old keyboard and mouse.

With my current PC I spent a lot of money on what was then a high spec PC...2.56 gig processor and a whopping 512MB of RAM :)

I'd like a fairly high spec system...but relatively cheaply.

I want to leave room for upgrade in the future too...maybe extra RAM or upgrade processor/graphics card/sound card.

I used Komplett to build the system spec because I've dealth with them before, and am used to their interface. If you would recommend that German company I would have no problem going for them if there was a significent saving €50+ euro.

Thanks for the help blackgold>>

Oh....and I'd like to have the option of installing 4-6 HDs over all. Don't expect to be using this many any time soon, but don't want to be upgrading in a couple of years because I've run out of room.

cheap1rc9.th.jpg
    If possible use vista64bit to get the use of the extra ram.
    32bitwindows will use anywhere from 3gigs to 3.4 roughly on this computer.
    If ya have any questions just ask.
    :)

cheap1rc9.th.jpg
    If possible use vista64bit to get the use of the extra ram.
    32bitwindows will use anywhere from 3gigs to 3.4 roughly on this computer.
    If ya have any questions just ask.

Thats brilliant Blackgold>>. Thanks a million. At at only €300!:eek:

I have a couple of questions:

1. What site did you get these from?
    2. Is it correct that the tower only has 3 internal 3.5" slots? I'd like to have about 5 or 6 if possible for future expansion.....I have way too much to store:D
    3. I'm assuming the DVD drive comes with interchangable black covers
    4. Can you also recommend a decent sound card?
    5. With regards to the video card, am I correct in saying that I can still output 1080p video with DVI, it just won't output the sound?
    6.You'd recommend Vista over XP?

Thanks again for all your help

2. Is it correct that the tower only has 3 internal 3.5" slots? I'd like to have about 5 or 6 if possible for future expansion.....I have way too much to store
    5. With regards to the video card, am I correct in saying that I can still output 1080p video with DVI, it just won't output the sound?

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lid=2
    2 Well you could put in 3 500 gig hard disks and 2 or 3 external?
    3 No idea about the dvd do you want it another colour?
    4 Sound card included on the board should be fine for nromal usage.
    5 With built-in 5.1 surround audio (AC3) pass-through capabilities, the new GPUs and graphics cards support a single HDMI connection direct to a compatible TV or receiver. This single cable carries both the HD video and 5.1 surround audio for a clean, high definition connection.
    Does full 1080p.

If you want to spend more money just tell me :)
    I'll rebuild it again for ya.

2. Is it correct that the tower only has 3 internal 3.5" slots? I'd like to have about 5 or 6 if possible for future expansion.....I have way too much to store

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lid=2
    2 Well you could put in 3 500 gig hard disks and 2 or 3 external?
    3 No idea about the dvd do you want it another colour?
    4 Sound card included on the board should be fine for nromal usage.
    5 With built-in 5.1 surround audio (AC3) pass-through capabilities, the new GPUs and graphics cards support a single HDMI connection direct to a compatible TV or receiver. This single cable carries both the HD video and 5.1 surround audio for a clean, high definition connection.
    Does full 1080p.

If you want to spend more money just tell me :)
    I'll rebuild it again for ya.

2. I have 3 externals with my current PC. I'd prefer to keep the drives internal if possible. Its a lot tidier, since you have a lot less power & USB cables. I don't mind paying a few extra euro for more internal slots.
    4 & 5. I haven't got a clue what that point 5 means:p. My current 26 inch monitor only has DVI, so the HDMI isn't really an issue at the moment. I may upgrade my LCD in future, and maybe add a Blu-Ray drive to the PC. Would the specs you already gave be ok for this?

2.you could change the case to an antec sonata it has a 500wat psu and plenty of bays. cost is 92 quid or somehting like that

4+5 are perfect ya .

Thanks. I'll go ahead with that so. I'll let you know how I get on.

Goodluck.

Just putting it all together in my shopping cart, and I see that there is a 512MB version of the graphics card for €10 more. Is there benefit in me spending the extra few euro?

• Advertisement

Won't make much difference really up to yourself.

I'll stick with the 256mb one so.

Do I need to order any internal cables or connectors?

Nope everything is included .

This is the case and psu i was on about.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20448&agid=625

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier blackgold>>, but I had a bit of on ordeal getting the parts for my system.

Anyways, I got the final piece today (the motherboard:)), and have put my system together. I'm loading my apps at the minute....and its so fast! It makes a big difference having 4gb of RAM as opposed to 512mb:p.

ANyways, just wanted to say thanks for your help. I'm very happy with my new system!

Advertisement