Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Exchange via HTTP

Options
  • 23-03-2008 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, maybe someone can help me.

I'm looking to connect to an exchange server in Outlook from outside the network. How would I go about finding the HTTP proxy.

It's the UL network and I'd just like to be able to connect off campus the same as I do on campus, sith public folders and such like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jock2010

ninty9er wrote: »
    Hi guys, maybe someone can help me.

I'm looking to connect to an exchange server in Outlook from outside the network. How would I go about finding the HTTP proxy.

It's the UL network and I'd just like to be able to connect off campus the same as I do on campus, sith public folders and such like?
    Hey
    are you a user or an administrator of the exchange server / network?
    if you are a user then i would ask the IT guys if there is remote access to the exchange server available.
    if your the administrator there are many ways to allow remote access to email on an exchange server.
    1. RPC over Http. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/2003exchangerpc.html
    2. Outlook web access
    Both the options above will require opening ports on your firewall. I would also suggest using SSL certificates if you go down the Outlook web access route.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's unlikely. Unless the college specifically provide the ability to connect to the Exchange Web Service then there's no way you'll be able to do it. The HTTP proxy is the server that your machine uses to connect to the Internet, not the server that the internet uses to connect to the UL network.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

jock2010 wrote: »
    Hey
    are you a user or an administrator of the exchange server / network?
    if you are a user then i would ask the IT guys if there is remote access to the exchange server available.
    if your the administrator there are many ways to allow remote access to email on an exchange server.
    1. RPC over Http. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/2003exchangerpc.html
    2. Outlook web access
    Both the options above will require opening ports on your firewall. I would also suggest using SSL certificates if you go down the Outlook web access route.

I have outlook web access, but want ot use outlook as the web access provides public folders in a different location. I'm a user and the IT guys aren't the most open to doing anything that sounds like hard work.
    I'll give that website a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

https://exchstudent1.ul.ie/exchange

Login with ul\<idnumber> & your password. Use IE and on the left down near the bottom of the screen you'll be able to access the public folders. ITD used to provide IMAP access via Outlook but I'm not sure if they still do but I can find out for you.

rmacm wrote: »
    https://exchstudent1.ul.ie/exchange

Login with ul\<idnumber> & your password. Use IE and on the left down near the bottom of the screen you'll be able to access the public folders. ITD used to provide IMAP access via Outlook but I'm not sure if they still do but I can find out for you.

I use both, but the IMAP falls short of the internal network access and the Web Access isn't the full shilling either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Define not the full shilling.....what exactly do you need access to? IMAP & the Outlook provide access to the Outlook Public Folders which is what you were looking for yes?

rmacm wrote: »
    Define not the full shilling.....what exactly do you need access to? IMAP & the Outlook provide access to the Outlook Public Folders which is what you were looking for yes?

The IMAP does most of the job, i.e offline viewing etc... but the public folders thing is annoying...as is the address book access when composing....and the online outlook address book is fairly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It sounds like you are looking for Outlook RPC over HTTP/Outlook Anywhere.

Ask the IT dept if they provide that

Advertisement