Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seling a Car - Should I fix it up or sell as is?

Options
  • 23-03-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm sellling a 05 BMW 1 series on Carzone, however, there are a few niggly issues with the car. The brakes are a little screachy (you can only hear it with the windows open and when listening for it) and the gearstick is a little looser than I think it should be - I drive a sports car so i'm not sure how tight the gear stick should be for a 1 series.

Thing is i'm getting offers for a quick sale but I wouldn't want a buyer to come along and be turned off the car by these things.

Does anybody have any advice for me? I'm a first time seller. So as much info would be most appreciated!

Regards,

MM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Hey folks,

I'm sellling a 05 BMW 1 series on Carzone, however, there are a few niggly issues with the car. The brakes are a little screachy (you can only hear it with the windows open and when listening for it) and the gearstick is a little looser than I think it should be - I drive a sports car so i'm not sure how tight the gear stick should be for a 1 series.

Thing is i'm getting offers for a quick sale but I wouldn't want a buyer to come along and be turned off the car by these things.

Does anybody have any advice for me? I'm a first time seller. So as much info would be most appreciated!

Regards,

MM

Just explain the niggly little issues to the new prospective buyer, or wait until he/she finds them and asks about them.

I'd go for a quick sale.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yep, without a shadow of doubt go get those few bits fixed. Its a buyers market out there, If I was buying a 1series, I'd walk way after seeing your car and pick another one instead!

Also, if your brakes are squeaking excessively, the pads are wrecked and your brakes wont be as effect (big safety concern). Cheapest place to get these fixed is a local mechanic. I'm not to sure about the gearstick, ask your mechanic about it when he's doing the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Timmaay wrote: »

Also, if your brakes are squeaking excessively, the pads are wrecked and your brakes wont be as effect (big safety concern).

This may not be true. New pads can squeak too.

I would get the pads off and cleaned and put back on with a little copper grease on the metal back of the pad to stop vibration. Making sure none of the greae gets near the friction material.

In relation to gear change, do you mean just the top of the gear handle in loose or is there too huch play in the whole gearchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

I cant really help you with the Brakes, are you sure the pads are in good order, because its unlikely a 05 1 series would need new discs unless you have been driving it hard. Is it an SE or sport? With regards to the gear box, its a standard zf gear box parable012 that would be used in most cars today, it actually comes straight out of the original 306 and is used by most ford and general motor standard cars. So its a good gear box and more than likely as good if not better than your sports car if it doesnt fall under the big manufacures remit. I dont know what sports car you drive, but if its a bmw sports car it would be more than likely the same, only a little stiffer but still as good and tight. but im sure you would know from driving cars yourself, whats good and bad, from personal expierence. On the selling note, I dont envy you trying to sell a 1 series tho, in general its a really poor car for the money and is generally as bad as the golf and focus are as good. My best advice would be to sell private, and not go near a dealer as they'l offer heart stopping money.

Advertisement