Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer jobs for college student...

• 23-03-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

hey all. im just wondering if anyone can recommend good places to work in cavan for the summer for a college student
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

i will name a few places - dunnes stores, tesco, easons

outside town there is woodies, supervalu, heatons, argos and the new homemakers store

do you live in cavan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

no dont live there but someone suggested to me about working in cavan for the summer.

do you know of any places in cavan that do TEFL (teach english), im a a college student and im qualified to do that.

or any places in cavan that would pay nice money!!

Places like Cavan are going to have very few opportunities for students.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Places like Cavan are going to have very few opportunities for students.

not a helpful reply:rolleyes:

maggie - would suggest trying the few places i named, but like every other place in ireland you will have to start looking now. can't help you out on the teaching english

good luck

I think it is an extremely helpful reply!

Why go drag yourself from Cork to Cavan to have less chance of getting a job?

Are you a student? Do you know any students? I doubt it because If you did you know how difficult it is find summer work in small towns.

• Advertisement

I think it is an extremely helpful reply!

Why go drag yourself from Cork to Cavan to have less chance of getting a job?

Are you a student? Do you know any students? I doubt it because If you did you know how difficult it is find summer work in small towns.

first of all, she asked a question in the cavan section and i answered.

she never stated where she lives and i think it is up to her to decide if she wants to move here or not, she asked to see if it is possible to get a job or not i named a few places here in cavan whether she wants to take it further its up to her

i do actually know some students - what with the attitude...

As far as I can see your the person with her knickers in a knot. :rolleyes:

As far as I can see your the person with her knickers in a knot. :rolleyes:

:confused:

I meant that I was not trying to be rude or helpful, as you suggested. I think she should be aware that it will be more difficult.

Maggie_Cork you could try contacting the VEC about TEFL work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

saibh you were very helpful thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 klasskrista

Hey I'm actually from Cavan and I'm a working student. It's so hard to actually get a job here and I know lots of people have been let go from places in town.

The TEFL thing is really hard to get into in Cavan because there isn't really much demand for it!I've tried :(

If you were going to go anywhere I'd suggest Enniskillen in Fermanagh, I know there's some jobs going in the likes of Asda and Tesco and I'm sure there's other retailers looking for people. The money isn't that great but living expenses in Enniskillen are minimal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

You could aways try for a MACJOB or there will be a new Aldi coming to cavan soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

Over a year later id say she has tried everywhere possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

celt262 wrote: »
    Over a year later id say she has tried everywhere possible.

Might be of some help to someone else though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

dlambirl wrote: »
    Might be of some help to someone else though.

Best of luck to anyone looking for work, dont think its being as hard to get work in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jeasus!
    I'm almost nostalgic at the thought of the lack of student jobs in Cavan.

Maybe the government should bring back the summer scheme to keep the students off the streets and out of trouble?
    Back in the days you got 3 pounds an hour for community projects of the like and max of 200 hours over the summer.

Then again, it'd probably have to at least the minimum wage so probably waay too dear an scheme to be bringing in now.

Actually, the minimum wage is probably also putting off employers from hiring students as its just too dear to bring in someone that will be buggering off just as they are beginning to get the hang of a job. At least with the meagre wages that students previously got an employer could take the risk and not be too much out of pocket

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Anyone know of much going this summer, cvs seem a waste of time it seems, jobs go to people connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

I'm a student and Ive been trying to get a part time job in Cavan for a while now. And no joy. Keep trying though the places like super value and easons and what not, but its no better in Cavan than anywhere else.

It kinda is who you know these days

Advertisement