Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Science/Omnibus

Options
  • 24-03-2008 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Can anyone offer some advice/opinions of the benefits of Engineering Science(DN080) over Engineering Omnibus(DN077) or visa versa?

I have been mulling it over for ages but my guidance councilor is useless and I fear I'm drastically under-informed. I figured this was the place to go to get some first hand advice. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!!!

Also, I know your opinions might be biased, but Engineering in TCD or UCD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I'd send the engineering programme office an e-mail (eng.arch@ucd.ie) with any queries as to which engineering course would best suit you needs/interests.

I'm currently studying science but dropping back to first engineering next year
    and they were very helpful and informative. You could even arrange to go and meet someone in there which would probably be more useful to you than a simple e-mail response.

Good luck anyway with the exams and stuff and hopefully I'll see you next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Yeah I'll give that a go, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

TCD or UCD... I picked UCD because the facilities seemed better at the time, I'm in final year now.

As was said before, give an email, someone nice might give you a tour if you ask nicely... do the same for TCD and then choose.

Engineering Science only gives you a BSc after 3 years, this is not a professional degree. Engineering gives you a BE after 4 years with which you can go and work without further study. If you do the BSc you would probably have to do a 2 yr masters which costs €6000 a year.

If I had the choice, I'd probably pick the BE.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I would definitely go the B.E. route for a number of reasons. Firstly there's the issue of master's funding, also the requirements for transfer to master's haven't been set down seen as no students are at this stage yet.

From what you're saying the BE sounds better alright, I mean if I do the BE and decide I want to do a masters after that that wouldn't be a problem, as long as I could fund it.

I gave them an email as suggested but they are obviously still on a break so no reply yet.

Tour sounds like a good idea alright, I probably should have gone to the open days, but I didn't know what I was looking for then.

If the UCD facilities are that much better I'll have to think about it, but TCD ha such a nicer commute!!

Thanks for the first hand advice, it seems to be just what I need!

• Advertisement

Be warned - the Eng Science degree is being pushed a lot in the open days.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Be warned - the Eng Science degree is being pushed a lot in the open days.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Or a warning to expect biased response from the Eng department?

No wonder they are pushing it, it's pretty deceptive and you would easily get suckered in (as I almost did) to having to pay 12,000euro for any kind of decent degree without realizing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

The 3yr B.Sc is going to become more common, due to something called the Bologna Process: standardisation of degree standards across Europe, also making them more compatible with the USA and Japan.

In theory it means more opportunities for study in Europe. Example: Ik spreek het Nederlands, maar slecht - and a Masters costs much less p.a. in the Netherlands than in the UK & Ireland. (Info from here.)

So essentially the main advantage of the 3+2 is that I have more options from obtaining my Masters abroad at more reasonable prices. Great, no more to consider!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

devinejay wrote: »
    So essentially the main advantage of the 3+2 is that I have more options from obtaining my Masters abroad at more reasonable prices. Great, no more to consider!!:rolleyes:
    Hey, it wasn't my idea... but it's something to consider. Which would look better on my CV: a M.Sc from UCD, or one from Delft TU, one of the top Engineering schools in the world, at half the price? Tuition is around €2000 p.a. for EU students in Dutch universities, and most Masters courses are in English. (I don't have family to rely on, so I'm paying for everything, wherever I am.)

• Advertisement

Admin rather than the engineering school will be pushing it and allocating the space as such. Remember the master's programme will bring big bucks to the college.

The B.E. programme as it stands is fully accredited and enables you to work as a professional engineer - the status of the BScEng/Masters is unknown since they haven't anyone at master's level so probably haven't devised the courses yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I can't believe they're offering a computer engineering masters, seeing as next years final years have to take a comp sci module to replace the computer engineering II module (traditionally given in 3rd year) due to personnel issues.

Advertisement