Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common Interface cards

• 24-03-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Just bought a Samsung LE40M87BDX which has a slot for a CI Card! I think this has something to do with digital decryption but I wonder if anyone can explain if this is of any use in Ireland and can I get a CI card and if so what stations can be recieved. The manual mentions topuptv in the uk but I don't know what services they offer and is it uk only ?

Any info appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

With a digital tuner, it's probably aimed at the UK market since we're still trialling digital terrestrial. With this in mind, the slot would be, as you said, for Top Up TV. I don't know how hard (or easy) it would be to get a card -- imagine you need a UK address. Additionally, you'd need to be able to receive the multiplexes being used for the extra TUTV channels as I don't think every transmitter currently carries the TUTV channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Dak,

I have a samsung like yours and can confirm you can use a CI card to pick up the DVB-T trails in Ireland.

I have the CI card because I am a member of the DVB-T trails.

I also live near 3 rock and hence have high quality reception.

Hope that is of help,
    majj

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tontoirl

Hi Majj
    I was googling CI cards and found this post.
    Any idea where I can get a CI card for my Samsung TV?
    And what else do I need?
    I'm also on NTL...
    Thanks
    Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

NTL is cable, the TV's/slots in this thread are for DTT.

They are different incomplatible technologies.

if your TV has a CI slot, and you are in an area that can receive DTT broadcasts from the UK, then you may be able to get a card that might for work uk pay dtt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tontoirl

Thanks kierank01

I'm in Dublin City and have the UPC STB with basic HD.

I was just wondering if it could be used in Ireland for free testeral digital tv (I know fa about it)

I also have a Sony RDR-HDX995 (DVD-R & HDD) box with one of these slots...
    Pitty UPC don't supply CI cards for people who have their own stuff.

Thanks again

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

As I said cable and dtt are incompatible.

You don't need a CI slot to recieve Saorview, you just need an mpeg4 dtt receiver.

There is lots of info in the terrestrial forum about it.

Advertisement