Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

believe in a god/gods

Options
  • 24-03-2008 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

just curious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

Ya

I equate god to love, peace, harmony etc. I see and feel all these things in my wife and kids. I also see it in old people with unconditional faith.
    Music sometimes takes me closer to this harmony.

I believe in the goodness of people. I belive in an undifinable spirit that cares.
    Maybe my god is within me.

(Thats a good question at 4 am)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yes

I equate god to a toaster. I see and feel toasters everywhere. I see them in own home, in the homes of my friends and families. I also see old people with toasters. Bagels bring me closer to my toaster.

Sometimes I use the grill to toast my bread so maybe I'm not monotheistic. But since I am the one providing the bread, maybe I am god?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

Very mature sangre.
    When your finished watching "sponge bob and square pants" get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

that was a great spongebob marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Sangre wrote: »
    Yes

I equate god to a toaster. I see and feel toasters everywhere. I see them in own home, in the homes of my friends and families. I also see old people with toasters. Bagels bring me closer to my toaster.

Sometimes I use the grill to toast my bread so maybe I'm not monotheistic. But since I am the one providing the bread, maybe I am god?

Yawn.

So boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Everything from a non-relitivistic perspective (including reletive experience) I would consider God. That said, it is 100% natural.

There are also projections from your own mind that some would consider Gods. I haven't experienced these enough to have a solid opinion on them.

How about you?

Good luck.
    AD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Article43

GOD ia all around - Omnipotent, Omnipresent & Omniessence (not sure about the last one but I will look it up later for you).

Look in the mirror and GOD is staring you straight in the face!

It has been said that cells can grow from a simple thing like a thought, but is there scientific evidence to support this - I don't know, so for me it is hearsay for now.

It is funny how miracles have alos been linked to the thought process - but this stuff is really a bit hairy fairy unless you have first hand experience.

Aha - there is that word again - good old experience tends to always pop its head up when something is hard to comprehend!

Looks like I was wrong again - no big surprise:)

25. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]There is but one consciousness in the universe able to think; and when it thinks, its thoughts become objective things to it. As this Consciousness is omnipresent, it must be present within every individual; each individual must be a manifestation of that Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent Consciousness.
    [/FONT]

Lets see how they have interperted it all!

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
    om·nip·o·tent thinsp.png speaker.gif Audio Help/ɒmˈnɪpthinsp.pngəthinsp.pngtənt/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[om-nip-uh-tuhthinsp.pngnt]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation–adjective 1.almighty or infinite in power, as God. 2.having very great or unlimited authority or power. –noun 3.an omnipotent being. 4.the Omnipotent, God.

om·nis·cient thinsp.png speaker.gif Audio Help/ɒmˈnɪʃthinsp.pngənt/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[om-nish-uhthinsp.pngnt]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation–adjective 1.having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things. –noun 2.an omniscient being. 3.the Omniscient, God.

om·ni·pres·ent thinsp.png speaker.gif Audio Help/ˌɒmthinsp.pngnəˈprɛzthinsp.pngənt/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[om-nuh-prez-uhthinsp.pngnt]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation–adjective present everywhere at the same time: the omnipresent God.

But Socrates was humble, stressed that he knew absolutely nothing about anything, and as far as we know he was only ever in one place at the same time :confused:

Yet - Socrates has been called;

"The Jesus Christ of Greece"

Surely there must be more to this than meets the eye - for;

We all want to do what is best to support our spiritual life, yet we throw pennies into the church collection box when it goes around and we think nothing of throwing 100's away on DRINK!

We say our Act of Contrition, yet when we go back home we are planning how to get back at that neighbor who has done us wrong!

We - well I won't go on and on - as you all KNOW what I am talking about;

We are all a bunch of HYPOCRITES - FULL STOP :o

• Advertisement

Maybe we SHOULD look to the past to DISCOVER the present - we can forget about the future as it has not happened yet :)

As Socrates is considered as one of the greatest men that ever lived - then it can but help us to read about him - even if he never wrote down anything himslef - funny, you would have thought that one so wise would be able to write, maybe he was "dislexic" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Article43 wrote: »
    we throw pennies into the church collection box

Not me anyway, why would i waste my time and money.

We say our Act of Contrition, yet when we go back home we are planning how to get back at that neighbor who has done us wrongWe

right, the only people i know who do that are sad little god worshiping* fools.

*the man made religious gods/religions

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

funny, you would have thought that one so wise would be able to write,

Who said he was unable to write? :confused:

I equate love to carbon. I see and feel carbon everywhere. I see it in the pencils that children use in school. I feel it in the food we eat. It exists in the carbon dioxide we exhale. The trees and plants around us are full of carbon which they freely return to us. [ok, we have to burn them first]

Carbon is love.

By reductio ad absurdem, carbon = people = hydrogen = oxygen, etc., etc.

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Not me anyway, why would i waste my time and money.

right, the only people i know who do that are sad little god worshiping* fools.

*the man made religious gods/religions

What ever works for you as an individual might always be the best approach - but only you can be truthful about it.

Whilst it is factual that man created Gods, as we have many examples still remaining today in the forms of statues, temples, etc, it is very hard to see the whole picture as a lot of information has either been hidden or destroyed over the centuries.

We must keep in mind that one of the main reasons for educating people to certain ideals and cultures, was for power and domination of the majority, by the few.

This is a natural human instinct - and it will never change.

The main difference today, of course, is that, if one is fortunate enough to be living in the so called "civilised" world, one can break out of this cycle, or a more modern day term is "Rat Race", and strive to attain what every human beings' most nautural instinct is, and that is, to live and enjoy the short life span we have, to the fullest.

Slow coach wrote: »
    Who said he was unable to write? :confused:

No one as far as I know - but it is logically possible that if Socrates did not write anything, then he might have not been able to write!

I equate love to carbon. I see and feel carbon everywhere. I see it in the pencils that children use in school. I feel it in the food we eat. It exists in the carbon dioxide we exhale. The trees and plants around us are full of carbon which they freely return to us. [ok, we have to burn them first]

Are you OK :)

Carbon is love.

Are you sure you are OK :D

By reductio ad absurdem, carbon = people = hydrogen = oxygen, etc., etc.

Carbon is nothing more than a combination of atoms in a unique structure - hopes this helps you out some :)

Who said he was unable to write?

[No one as far as I know - but it is logically possible that if Socrates did not write anything, then he might have not been able to write!]

[Are you OK]

Carbon is love.

[Are you sure you are OK]

By reductio ad absurdem, carbon = people = hydrogen = oxygen, etc., etc.Who said he was unable to write? :confused:

When answering a post, it is good manners not to edit the other person's post. Put your answers outside the quotation.
    No one as far as I know - but it is logically possible that if Socrates did not write anything, then he might have not been able to write!

It is logically possible that he could write, too. It's a fairly pointless point to make. Your quote was:
    funny, you would have thought that one so wise would be able to write,

This quote leads me to believe that you think that Socrates was unable to write. You shouldn't jump to the logically absurd conclusion that because someone does not do something, they cannot do it.
    Carbon is nothing more than a combination of atoms in a unique structure - hopes this helps you out some :)

My reductio ad absurdem was (obviously) aimed at Sangre's little absurdity.

I will post whatever way I see fit - if you, or anyone else don't like that, then tuff!

The fact that Socrates never wrote anything should lead us to question why; it is not normal for one so wise not to leave any written text, but as he has been noted as saying, at every opportunity he could get, he believed that he knew "absolutely nothing about anything"; so maybe he could not write, or read ?

Maybe he had his wife read to him, or the many students he lectured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

so maybe he could not write, or read ?

Wisdom has nothing to do with literacy.

18AD wrote: »
    Wisdom has nothing to do with literacy.

Exactly 18AD - it has more to do with common sense, has it not.

This simple statement of Truth says a good deal about our education system, and those that dispense the same old rubbish over and over - it can sometimes sound like a cd that is stuck on one or two track sections!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Exactly 18AD - it has more to do with common sense, has it not.

This simple statement of Truth says a good deal about our education system, and those that dispense the same old rubbish over and over - it can sometimes sound like a cd that is stuck on one or two track sections!

where are you going with all this? im either missing the point or your posts are just all over the place.

• Advertisement

bogwalrus wrote: »
    where are you going with all this? im either missing the point or your posts are just all over the place.

Have a look in feedback for a thread started by Socrates himself (Article43). All will become clear.

Have a look in feedback for a thread started by Socrates himself (Article43). All will become clear.

A moderator with a hump - how appropiate and in keeping with the majority of posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

No

edit: Answering the op; just to be clear there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

To all those who think God = the universe = energy and love.

What the hell are you talking about? Most people when they use the word God mean the monotheistic deity, or perhaps one of the polytheistic ones.

If you have some other concept I think you really need a new word. Lets not get our different delusions mixed up here.

P.S. I am not talking to the people taking the p**s. You know who you are!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well maybe God is Dark Matter: everywhere at once; all powerful; and probably created and will destroy the Universe.

Of course you have to believe in the Big Bang for any of that to make any remote sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

If you think about what the various relgions say about god, it does in fact fit in with "god= the universe= energy and love".

There is a difference of course between theism and religion. "God" refers to the christian/muslim/jewish god. You should probably go buy a dictionary before you go acusing people of getting their "delusions" mixed up

raah! wrote: »
    If you think about what the various relgions say about god, it does in fact fit in with "god= the universe= energy and love".

There is a difference of course between theism and religion. "God" refers to the christian/muslim/jewish god. You should probably go buy a dictionary before you go acusing people of getting their "delusions" mixed up

Umm, you say "God" refers to one of the monotheistic ones. None of them think God = the universe = energy, AFAIK. Not sure about Islam, but I seriously doubt it. They all have anthropomorphic Gods, who have characters and emotions.

You spelt "accusing" wrong. Who needs the dictionary, sheese!:rolleyes:

They do all say frequently that "god is everywhere" that he is omnipresent. (there is a definition earlier on)

Well done, correcting a typo, that makes you clever.

raah! wrote: »
    They do all say frequently that "god is everywhere" that he is omnipresent. (there is a definition earlier on)

OK, but wouldn't really equate with "energy" and "Dark Matter" I think someone said.
    raah! wrote:
    Well done, correcting a typo, that makes you clever.

Yes it does. Just a joke, no animosity to be found here :cool:

• Advertisement

Well this is the first time that i have seen such an equation. Although I have heard things such as "god is love" but these were meant figuratively I presume. I was simply pointing out that it is possible to be both a pantheist and a monotheist.

I think what overheal was saying about dark matter was also a joke.

P.S no animosity here either, I was simply congratulating you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement