Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - Which GPS ? Garmin or TomTom

• 24-03-2008 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I have been meaning to buy a GPS system for quite a while now but have been putting it off... Ibood have got a TomTom system for sale today and I was wondering if it was worth it ?

Currently I have 2 systems in mind :
    1. Garmin Nuvi 250W (€175-€200euro)
    2. TomTom One XL (€200 on iBood today)

I will be using this system in Ireland, Uk, France and throughout Europe so must have European Maps ...

Which one do you recommend ? From reading online the Garmin has better maps but the TomTom seems to have better features and a nicer interface.

Any help / recommendations are welcomed

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The later TT One's (V3) don't have Itinerary planning which I find very useful on my V2 unit. If you can live without it, I can't fault my TT. The XL version is not worth the extra IMO. Can't comment on Garmin.

I've used my TT in the UK and it was excellent. I'm sure the Garmin is just as good but I tested both and found the user interface of the TT better. All down to personal choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    The later TT One's (V3) don't have Itinerary planning which I find very useful on my V2 unit. If you can live without it, I can't fault my TT. The XL version is not worth the extra IMO. Can't comment on Garmin.

I've used my TT in the UK and it was excellent. I'm sure the Garmin is just as good but I tested both and found the user interface of the TT better. All down to personal choice

would NEVER go back to TT after their own Home software kept screwing up my TTXL
    gewt the garmin, far better IMHO

Tomtom have just re-released the Travel Edition Europe One model. I have it and its great. Forget the XL screen, waste of money

I have never had a problem with the Home software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've just switched from Garmin to TomTom (I'll be selling my Garmin Nuvi), and I really like the TomTom.

One of the things you can do is *correct* maps, and make your corrections available to other users - and avail of theirs. Though no one seems to have corrected the traffic direction on Stephen's Green yet.

You can have a calm Irish voice for free, or various others; or you can buy famous voices like John Cleese for a tenner or so each.

It can be used as a Bluetooth handsfree - though unfortunately not for all models; my phone isn't one of those it's adjusted to use (at least, not yet - they're apparently working on the software for various phones).

It broadcasts mp3s to your radio very well - I was listening to some radio shows I'd downloaded today - though I haven't found out if it's possible to navigate within a file as you can with an iPod. You can also use it *with* an iPod to play mp3s.

But (see following thread) I haven't been able to find out how to navigate within an mp3, which is a big pain in the ass if you're halfway through a story that doesn't have chapters, and end up having to listen to the whole first half again.

I like the display of the maps a lot more than the Garmin's, and it sends me around in circles considerably less than the Nuvi - I get the impression that its satellite connection is a lot sharper, a matter of feet rather than yards.

Its software works nicely with Mac or PC (I'm using a Mac).

The help staff know their stuff and are kind and helpful.

In general, if I were buying one today, I'd buy the TomTom 520T (the one I have), or the 720 if I were going to drive or walk a lot in Europe.

However, if you want to buy a Nuvi....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

luckat wrote: »
    I like the display of the maps a lot more than the Garmin's, and it sends me around in circles considerably less than the Nuvi - I get the impression that its satellite connection is a lot sharper, a matter of feet rather than yards.

Its software works nicely with Mac or PC (I'm using a Mac).

The help staff know their stuff and are kind and helpful.

In general, if I were buying one today, I'd buy the TomTom 520T (the one I have), or the 720 if I were going to drive or walk a lot in Europe.

However, if you want to buy a Nuvi....

You don't work for Tom Tom by any chance?

1. Most Tom Toms or Garmins use SIRF chips which means that both are just as good as getting a fix as the other.

2. Nobody on this forum has ever described either Garmin or TT as sending people around in circles - would you care to describe the incident when a Nuvi sent you around in circles.

3. How do you know the TT s/w works well with a PC if you own a Mac?

4. The help staff may know their stuff but I've never heard an anonymous person who replies to e-mail queries described as 'kind'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Coylmj - No, I work for myself.

The people I was talking to in TomTom were in the phone help section rather than replying by email. They were kind.

And I've had some nasty 'help' experiences over the last few years from rude call centre staff with other companies. But the TomTom ones were nice.

The Nuvi sent me around in circles in various places; the one I remember best is the junction at Christ Church, where it kept telling me to turn left, leading me into a cul de sac off Thomas Street, when I needed to go across the bridge.

It got me hopelessly lost last month in Shannon. When I took a wrong turn coming from the airport and heading for the Radisson, I tried to make my own way back and got hopelessly lost.

So I set the Nuvi to bring me to the Radisson (which I'd previously marked as a favourite). It ignored the dual carriageway and brought me over hill and down dale through villages and country roads. We got there, but not fast.

I know the TomTom software works well with a PC because I tested it on a PC last year.

As for the accuracy of the fix - well, that's just a gut feeling. It's my perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hi guys,
    Looking for a bit of help from any Sat Nav technos out there.Not even sure if I am in the right thread.I have the above model which has bluettoth and an FM transmitter.As my phone is bluetooth enabled I have hands free via my touch sensitive Sat Nav screen.Anyhow wondering if there is a special software for doing text messages on the Sat Nav ie Garmin 760.The box it was included in seemed to suggest I would be able to send text messages and I have not been able to find such a function in the tools menu.Also I have put music onto a 2MB memory stick from my laptop but do not seem to be able to locate on the Sat Nav when I insert it.Finally it does not appear to be possible to send music files from my bluetooth enabled phone or laptop.Hope you techno geniuses out there can help me.
    Selig

I got my first chance last weekend to have a good long poke at the Garmin nuvi 250 as my sis bought one.

Coming from a TT, I foun the Garmin extremely awakward to get through its menus, you need extra software to add custom POI's and overall, not as easy to use as the TT.

I went at it with an open mind to see what all the fuss was about with Garmins, but I really can't see it. I would not swap my TT One for a Garmin even if it was offered to me for free.

Others will differ, but what I'm trying to say is that you should really spend some time with each one and see which one appeals to you

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

Hi Folks,

I'm going to buy a GPS in the new few weeks and I have more or less decided to buy the Tom Tom Go 730 (which seems to be the replacement for the Go 720). However, I could still be persuaded towards a Garmin Nuvi.

A lot of the reviews I've read (e.g.
    nuvi 760 vs Go 720) seem to rate the Go ahead of the Nuvi -- but only slightly, and this is the reason for my current bias towards the Tom Tom.

However, I do a bit of hillwalking (mostly in Wicklow) and wonders if anybody knows how good either brand of system is when you take to the highlands...

Any advice appreciated!

The Kid wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm going to buy a GPS in the new few weeks and I have more or less decided to buy the Tom Tom Go 730 (which seems to be the replacement for the Go 720). However, I could still be persuaded towards a Garmin Nuvi.

A lot of the reviews I've read (e.g.
    nuvi 760 vs Go 720) seem to rate the Go ahead of the Nuvi -- but only slightly, and this is the reason for my current bias towards the Tom Tom.

However, I do a bit of hillwalking (mostly in Wicklow) and wonders if anybody knows how good either brand of system is when you take to the highlands...

Any advice appreciated!
    I would say both units would work just as well when hill walking...all you really need there is a GPS co-ordinate. However, bear in mind these units only run for about 2-3hrs on battery.
    I also imagine the smaller the unit the better for hill walking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

I would say both units would work just as well when hill walking...all you really need there is a GPS co-ordinate. However, bear in mind these units only run for about 2-3hrs on battery.
    I also imagine the smaller the unit the better for hill walking

Good points!

Since I posted this question, I also found the Geocaching Ireland site. On the linked page they describe how to download free topological maps (all legal) for walking in hills and the likes. They look really cool!

They claim that the maps can be loaded onto any Garmin with enough memory, but only on Garmins. Very nice and now swaying my research back towards the nuvi 760.

I'm in a delima now though as I really like the idea of the extra benefits of the Go 720/730 -- voice activation input of your desination, reading your text messages to you, allowing you to update you maps on the fly to reflect road changes (for diversions/blockages/etc.), smooth map scrolling, etc.

The Kid wrote: »
    Good points!

Since I posted this question, I also found the Geocaching Ireland site. On the linked page they describe how to download free topological maps (all legal) for walking in hills and the likes. They look really cool!

They claim that the maps can be loaded onto any Garmin with enough memory, but only on Garmins. Very nice and now swaying my research back towards the nuvi 760.

I'm in a delima now though as I really like the idea of the extra benefits of the Go 720/730 -- voice activation input of your desination, reading your text messages to you, allowing you to update you maps on the fly to reflect road changes (for diversions/blockages/etc.), smooth map scrolling, etc.

the map updates you get with TomTom only get downloaded to your unit if you regualrly connect to the Home software. Voice activation of destination is probably not a gimmick I would sway me to buying one unit over another, as with the text message thing.
    Get what you think is the best unit for you and the one you like using the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm using a Garmin nuvi 300 and a Tomtom one v3. I find myself using the TT alot more as I find it more friendly to use. Interface is very good, makes the Garmin look bland and boring but I still use the Garmin for the sake of having my speed camera database on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

mondeo wrote: »
    I'm using a Garmin nuvi 300 and a Tomtom one v3. I find myself using the TT alot more as I find it more friendly to use. Interface is very good, makes the Garmin look bland and boring but I still use the Garmin for the sake of having my speed camera database on it.

Why dont you convert the data and use on the TT .

sharkman wrote: »
    Why dont you convert the data and use on the TT .

I have the TT database if you want it...

Perhaps you could host it somewhere and post a link !

sharkman wrote: »
    Perhaps you could host it somewhere and post a link !

if you use the new Home software from TomTom and go into the POI share section I have put it there

if you use the new Home software from TomTom and go into the POI share section I have put it there

Cant find it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dirty-Old-Man

Is there any real difference between the Garmin Nuvi 200W/205W and 250W aside from the number of maps preloaded and the MSN Direct thingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey anyone bought this?

http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/1-day-i9.html

Would there be any problems with the European maps here in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

can somebody tell me which sat nav to buy???i dont know to much about them but i had the tom tom 1 xl last year and it was terrible.im living in west dublin and looking to go to "halfords" or were-ever and buy it today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

dubman25 wrote: »
    can somebody tell me which sat nav to buy???i dont know to much about them but i had the tom tom 1 xl last year and it was terrible.im living in west dublin and looking to go to "halfords" or were-ever and buy it today?

http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/1-day-i9.html

Bought this one last week, works great, in West Dublin as well, I tried Tom Tom and didnt like it!

very good price as well, better than you will find in Ireland and you have european maps on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

does this have the spped cameras on it or is it basic??pm me cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Renault man

Hi Sharkman,
    You seem to know sat.navs. Got a Garmin Nuvi 250W. Used it in England recently. Drove from Dover to East Sussex. Sat nav took me off the motorway and down every back road and by road and through villages etc. I had it set to faster time. Why did it not keep me on motorway!!!

Advertisement