Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldeneye genius

Options
  • 24-03-2008 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just recently bought Goldeneye for the N64 after all the hype I found it was brilliant , I don't think I have played a better game to date!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It has aged fairly badly, but I remember at the time it was absolutely amazing. There was nothing like a 2 player deathmatch on the bunker level with proximity mines. Crazy.

Apparantly it's been ported to Xbox Live Arcade, but a release is looking unlikely due to rights and licensing issues. Hopefully it gets sorted, because a lick of paint, smoother controls and online play would do wonders for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's aged extremely badly, I played it recently and it's absolutely dreadful stuff now. Still it was an amazing game at the time that was way ahead of its time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never owned a 64 back in the day so when I played it a year ago I was amazed that it was utterly unplayable. After hearing all the hype about a game, then going back to see a game that has been overshadowed by increasing technology, its a bit disapointing. A further example of how 2D can age extremely well, but alot of the games from the first 3D era appear as mere shadows of the evolution they once were (Mario 64, Ocriana of Time and the Final Fantasy Games remain some of the few exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

still play it about once a month, get a couple of mates around and have 4 player multiplayer without all this ****e of paying for multiplayer.

one 64
    one goldeneye + mariokart
    one tv
    4controllers
    beer
    4+ mates
    = good times

it has aged badly but if you think of the limitations of the n64 cart compared to the ps1's cd they did a pretty good job.

that XBLA version - if it's ever released - will suck because EA are behind it and they can't make an fps to save their hole but they still sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It has aged badly but the the single player is still a great laugh and Perfect Dark has the improved multiplayer without the terrible aging

• Advertisement

Still love it. My mates have it hooked up to their TV in their place and both goldeneye and mariokart are always on. The controls I always found a bit sloppy though.

Even the single player still rocks, I love 00 Agent Bunker so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It has aged badly but the the single player is still a great laugh and Perfect Dark has the improved multiplayer without the terrible aging

PD was too optimistic for the N64 imo. Framerate was pants. Ruined an otherwise decent game.

Myth wrote: »
    The controls I always found a bit sloppy though.
    have to disagree on the controls,

the n64 controller was and still is the best controller for a console fps. nothing comes closer to a mouse and keyboard combination but a n64 controller is miles ahead of the rest of the controllers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Never owned an N64 but my mates had it and it was easily the best game around at the time. The multiplayer option was class and led to many a long and fun evening. Of course it's aged badly, 11 years is a long time in the games world!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PD was too optimistic for the N64 imo. Framerate was pants. Ruined an otherwise decent game.

Most of Rares games were too optimistic for the N64. They looked gorgeous for the hardware but all ran at about 10 FPS. Goldeneye has framerate problems that are just as bad as PD's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

I kinda fancy a game of goldeneye now but I know when I go home a hook up my n64 and play i'll be all meh when the gfx look crap. Might check out goldeneye source tho see how its coming along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Cremo wrote: »
    the n64 controller was and still is the best controller for a console fps. nothing comes closer to a mouse and keyboard combination but a n64 controller is miles ahead of the rest of the controllers out there.

What you want is TWO N64 controllers (Domino mode)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ah Goldeneye, now that was multiplayer heaven!
    I remember playing that for hours years with my mates: Facility, pistols & one shot kills!
    PD never really replaced Goldeneye for mp thrills even though it felt technically superior to Goldeneye is wasn't as much fun.

I haven't looked at GE:source for awhile, I don't think a proper mouse and keyboard FPS works well with those maps considering that pitch control wasn't as easy with the mighty N64 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

One of the best single and multiplayer console games ever. It has aged very badly though. Not just in graphics but in game play. I avoid playing for fear of tainting my memory of it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Goldeneye Source anyone....a complete remake of the mutiplayer component for online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlS22aDi1c

Looks very faithfull to the orginal mutiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Goldeneye was my first N64 game, it was absolutely amazing for the time. Don't think Perfect Dark managed to better it.
    I played it a few months back and it definatly has aged badly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

I didn't think it aged that badly. I just think 'This game was the biz back then.'

Same when I play Medal of Honor on the PSone - now that was another quality shooter.

The Queen wrote: »
    Same when I play Medal of Honor on the PSone - now that was another quality shooter.

I think that MoH holds up a hell of a lot better than Goldeneye. The atmosphere is top notch and the AI is still impressive. The thing that makes it hold up a lot better than goldeneye is the framerate which is held at a rock solid 30 FPS for most of the time althought there is some nasty fog and every mission is at night.

Pity it didn't have 4 player multiplayer or there would be no arguments over which was better. At the time other than a PC lan goldeneye was the multiplayer daddy (much more fun shouting drunken abuse at a mate than killing a randomer online).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Medal of Honour isn't a patch on Goldeneye. In the single player you got to be Bond in a great game. That's one of the reasons it is so great which MoH just can't top

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

never thought alot of goldeneye.

I dont want to fall into the snobbery pc crowd (I owned consoles first, and will always fondly remember my sega consoles etc etc yadadada)

BUT

I never thought alot of Goldeneye, and i thought alot less of perfect dark (and Medal of Honour was always sh*te on the highest order)

now thats not to say I hated Goldeneye, it was fun, but alot of its praise comes from the fact it was the first console exclusive fps to in some manner work. Which means if you could play pc first person shooters at the same time, then Goleneye was nothing to go jumping through hoops over.

I tried to get into perfect dark but like someone above said, the frame rate p*ssed me off and it never seemed to flow like goldeneye did, there were far too many variations people could apply to the games which led to fights etc among kids over if laptop guns should be on or off etc.

Medal of Honour has always been f*cking horrendous, even when it was brought to the PC it was the most over rated piece of turd I have ever played.

And while I know its from the same developers, it wasnt until Call of Duty did they finally cop on how WW2 shooters should work, and even then they fall back into the old MOH formula every now and then which is f*cking horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

By the way, has anyone had the misfortune to play Goldeneye: Rogue Agent?

I know the words 'worst game ever' are thrown around a lot these days, but ffs: I have rarely played such a dull game. Even as a quite adamant critic of James Bond, I was stunned at how much EA misunderstood the franchise. My brother bought it and I still give out to him for buying it. Garbage.

I was stunned at how much EA misunderstood the franchise.

pretty much happens with every franchise EA are involved in tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Cremo wrote: »
    have to disagree on the controls,

I thought it was a great controller for it's time. I find the Xbox 360 controller great for console fps (the d-pad blows on it though). I find the PS3 controller just too light and just not as ergnomic as the 360's one. The analog sticks are little too easy to move too, perhaps there's a mod to stiffen the springs in them? :confused:

Anyway, back on topic. Goldeneye was the ownage back when it came out. I haven't played since I owned an N64 back in 98 (maybe 97), I think I'd ruin my memories if I saw it in tatters now. :(

Edit: Agree with you on EA too. Jokers so they are. I cry every time what I think they're going to do to the Formula 1 series!!! :(

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I think I'd ruin my memories if I saw it in tatters now. :(
    i don't think you'd ruin it though, as long as you weren't going back and expecting it to look like crysis then you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Queen wrote: »
    I didn't think it aged that badly. I just think 'This game was the biz back then.'

Yeah I played the original Medal of Honour for the PS1 back in the day; it was a great game with oodles of atmosphere & a decent missions (loved the railgun mission). The AI was quite sharp & had enemies that actually kicked back (or threw themselves on) grenades you flung at them. It's still something you don't see that often, if at all, in FPS games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

great mwmories with Goldeneye and PD

The only controller that comes close to the N64 is the original Xbox giant controller. RIP -_-

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I liked both Goldeneye on the N64 and the early Medal of Honor games but anything after allied assault and original PSone game where not great. MOH Airborne was overall quite average but the 4th and 6th missions where quite impressive.

Still occasionally play Goldeneye on the N64 in mutiplayer and still get enjoyment out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Now i was very young when Goldeneye came out, i was 8 i think, but still, many a whole summer holiday wasted on multiplayer with the kids who lived around me. Goldeneye was all we needed.

After a huge conversation about it with 5 or 6 mates in school last year, i said ive still got my N64 somewhere and games, so we all bundled into 2 cars and back to my house, i found the N64 and we must have spent 4 or 5 hours straight on it. Its still amazing to us and nobody was dissappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I too skipped over the N64, and played Goldeneye for the first (and last) time about 4 or 5 years ago. Even then it had aged really badly, and I'm fine with falling into the "snobbery pc crowd", but coming from a multiplayer experience like Unreal Tournament (granted it came out a couple of years after Goldeneye) on the PC to this... It didn't last 5 minutes before I gave up on it.

Right now I'd much rather play Quake 2 than Goldeneye, and they were both released the same year.

Like I said, I wasn't really around, in terms of consoles, for this game, but I get the feeling like maybe this was a big step for console FPSes at the time, like Halo several years later, but like Halo it's a step that only brings it a few inches closer to PC FPSes, when there's still miles to go to catch up.

• Advertisement

Balfa wrote: »
    Like I said, I wasn't really around, in terms of consoles, for this game, but I get the feeling like maybe this was a big step for console FPSes at the time, like Halo several years later, but like Halo it's a step that only brings it a few inches closer to PC FPSes, when there's still miles to go to catch up.

Have to totally disagree with this. Despite aging badly in gameplay terms compared to unreal tournament and quake 2, Goldeneye was a massively innovative game in the FPS genre that introduced loads of elements we take for granted. The zoom aim has now been adapted to aiming down iron sights and it was one of the first games with a sniper rifle. AI was the best ever at the time. IT was one of the first FPS games which was mission based rather than get from point A to point B. It was set in a realistic modern day environment and was one of the first games to use real life weaponry as opposed to the ridiculous weapons seen at the time. There are many others. It was a much bigger leap forward than Halo was (if it could even be called a leap forward).

Advertisement