Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldeneye genius

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have to totally disagree with this. Despite aging badly in gameplay terms compared to unreal tournament and quake 2, Goldeneye was a massively innovative game in the FPS genre that introduced loads of elements we take for granted. The zoom aim has now been adapted to aiming down iron sights and it was one of the first games with a sniper rifle. AI was the best ever at the time. IT was one of the first FPS games which was mission based rather than get from point A to point B. It was set in a realistic modern day environment and was one of the first games to use real life weaponry as opposed to the ridiculous weapons seen at the time. There are many others. It was a much bigger leap forward than Halo was (if it could even be called a leap forward).

It also was one of the first to sport weapon reloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

5uspect wrote: »
    It also was one of the first to sport weapon reloading.

I was just about to say that. I believe Half-Life on PC was next....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

chamlis wrote: »
    I was just about to say that. I believe Half-Life on PC was next....

Think Sin got there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

it was good in the day, a remake now would definatly kick major ass

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It also has to be said that even today Goldeneye is one of the best movie tie-ins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If not THE best movie tie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Better than E.T. anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Never managed to get 007 on all the missions. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Goldeneye remains one of my favourite games. I played it in a friend's house and immediately started saving up for an N64. I got it early in the summer, the rest of the holiday was spent playing that game! I beat 00 Agent the day before school started up again. Best (gaming) Summer Ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Loved Goldeneye multiplayer, many a long evening spent at one-shot kills multiplayer, class pure class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The multiplayer is pretty pants nowadays. The singleplayer is still gold though because inexplicably none of the good things about it have been copied by other FPS titles since. I'd love to play another FPS with short linear levels that you can play over and over trying to beat your times, with different objectives at different difficulty levels. Unlockable cheats and levels. Nobody has done anything as short and focussed since.

The AI was pretty stupid but the dynamic of having to shoot guys before they ran and tripped alarms was gold. Nobody has really done that in recent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd love to play another FPS with short linear levels that you can play over and over trying to beat your times, with different objectives at different difficulty levels. Unlockable cheats and levels. Nobody has done anything as short and focussed since.

Not a FPS, but The Club?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think Sin got there first.

Can you please vacate the Goldeneye fan zone please! Your tainting its genuis! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Alice Junge

Goldeneye multiplayer :D

Advertisement