Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart 15Mbps...

Options
  • 24-03-2008 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

Is it really 15 Mbps(ie Can you actually download at nearly 2Mb per second)??

Does anyone use it and reckon it's worth 80 a month?

How long till they roll it out everywhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If your line is capable of that speed (I don't think they'll even allow you to choose it if your line isn't capable) then yes you will actually get 15 megabits a second. I haven't got it but I think 15Mbps at €80 a month is pretty competitive, it's only really worth it if you download a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

OMG, I'm droolin, thats orgasmic speeds :D A 700Mb avi in 6 mins :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is this cause of their contentation [sp?] ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Placebo wrote: »
    is this cause of their contentation [sp?] ratio?

They don't have one (contention ratio that is). They say all their BB products are uncontended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

A few guys I know are getting 1400-1500 K/b per second on smarts top product. Not exactly bad really! :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Smart's only real problem is their non existent rollout plan despite promises to the contrary. It doesn't look like the majority of the people in the country are ever going to have an LLU option with the likes of Smart and BT. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

The whole 1Mbps for the last 18 months, coupled with college broadband showing me the light, makes it seem worth 80 quid. Given that 55 a month is what I pay now...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

obl wrote: »
    The whole 1Mbps for the last 18 months, coupled with college broadband showing me the light, makes it seem worth 80 quid. Given that 55 a month is what I pay now...

I'm on the 15 meg package, and other than bragging rights, it hasn't proven that worthwhile. There isn't really anything that needs that kind of speed, timewise all you'll gain is a few seconds or minutes, even if you have a download source capable of feeding you 15 megs a second. The 1 meg upload has proven far more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Smart is only uncontended at the exchange (true uncontended 15Mbps connectivity would cost a WHOLE pile more!)

Like Spear says 15Mbps is great if you are connecting to a source capable of providing that. You'd be surprised at the services that can provide nowhere near that, and that's before you take international contention into account.

It's good for local (Irish) sources capable of sustaining that rate, and good for multiple downloads. I'd be with Spear suggesting that the 1Mbps upload would be far more noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Spear wrote: »
    I'm on the 15 meg package, and other than bragging rights, it hasn't proven that worthwhile. There isn't really anything that needs that kind of speed, timewise all you'll gain is a few seconds or minutes, even if you have a download source capable of feeding you 15 megs a second. The 1 meg upload has proven far more useful.

I would have to agree with you there. I just changed from ripwave to smart
    5Mb and even at this speed I dont need to leave my pc on 24/7 anymore.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Getting around 1740 kbps from heanet. 1450 kbps from torrents. Don't have great line stats. Happy with the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

is there a list of the exchanges they are on somewhere? moving into housenext week, and dont have the phone number to check availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

When you compare it to the top package Eircom can provide it seems well worth it. Eircoms 12 meg (business) for 169 ex vat compared to smarts 15 meg for 80 quid. I know which one I'd prefer.

Advertisement