Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

did a blowout do this?

Options
  • 24-03-2008 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

I was out walking my dog this morning and passed this:
    2356736921_5d8e893703.jpg

Would a blowout do that much damage? I can't see any impact or anything else that would have done the damage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looking at the mud, did it hit a flooded pothole at speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I was wondering about the mud, and from a different angle you can see an impact on the wheel rim:
    2357658390_fd2f946f23.jpg

I didn't think there were any likely candidate potholes around though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That looks like a flat tyre driven to destruction.
    As the tyre disintegrated, chunks of it would flap and flail around causing the sort of damage in the pictures.
    The dent in the rim could have been the original cause of deflation, or could have happened while the tyre was breaking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

lol it was a flat that they continued to drive on... and that must of been more than 10 miles.... she (it has to be a she) has caused about 2 grand of damage there... she could of even damaged her brakes and steering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

anto-t wrote: »
    lol it was a flat that they continued to drive on... and that must of been more than 10 miles.... she (it has to be a she) has caused about 2 grand of damage there... she could of even damaged her brakes and steering...

My thoughts exactly. Particularly the sexist bit. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

anto-t wrote: »
    it has to be a she

+1:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Jesus, i would hope they had some sort of indication that the front wheel was flat!!
    Maybe the tire blew-out and the car swerved into a wall or high kerb. Just making excuses!

Has to be a woman!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

the outside of the rim looks worn too so i reckon it was a flat driven to destruction as well.

how could they not notice something was wrong in time to prevent this from happening though :confused:. the car is wrecked :eek:.

Darwin award nomination :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

In fairness, we know nothing of the circumstances in which this tyre (and wheel and bodywork) was destroyed.

Given the right/wrong circumstances, I too would stay driving on a flat.
    My advice to those close to me (and myself, and anyone else who cares to listen), is that if stopping the car immediately puts the occupants in any significant danger, then don't do it; stay going (slowly/slower) to somewhere safe, and we'll deal with the mechanical damages later.
    This could be anything from the overtaking lane of the motorway to being in a 'bad area' to sinister/intimidating characters in other vehicles.

Screw the fecked tyre and the bent metal and the broken plastic, getting killed/raped/injured is too high a price to pay for preserving 'stuff'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Rovi wrote: »
    In fairness, we know nothing of the circumstances in which this tyre (and wheel and bodywork) was destroyed.

My advice to those close to me (and myself, and anyone else who cares to listen), is that if stopping the car immediately puts the occupants in any significant danger, then don't do it; stay going (slowly/slower) to somewhere safe, and we'll deal with the mechanical damages later.
    This could be anything from the overtaking lane of the motorway to being in a 'bad area' to sinister/intimidating characters in other vehicles.

Screw the fecked tyre and the bent metal and the broken plastic, getting killed/raped/injured is too high a price to pay for preserving 'stuff'.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Rovi wrote: »

good point. didnt think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

That was not caused by a flat tire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

But having said that she got 10th place and a consolation point. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Came accross an accident a few years ago caused by a woman stopping in the middle of the Dublin to Trim road because she had a flat. While she was not involved in the accident herself, the last two cars behind her (there was about five cars boxed up behind her because she was travelling soo slowly in the first place) came together when she stopped dead in the middle of the road, about fifty yards from a gate where she could have gotten in out of the way.

When it was pointed out to her that she had just caused an accident, her reply was that they were all travelling too close to her. Right or wrong she still caused an accident by stopping in an inapproriate place, just because she had only just realised she had a puncture.

Typical mature female BMW driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

WHITE_P wrote: »
    When it was pointed out to her that she had just caused an accident, her reply was that they were all travelling too close to her. Right or wrong she still caused an accident by stopping in an inapproriate place, just because she had only just realised she had a puncture.
    Contributed yes, caused no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Far be it from me to barge in on the female driver bashing, but did anyone consider that this was a stolen motor and that the scummers drove it into the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

My money's on that explanation (stolen motor). To take the headlamp out, etc, would mean travelling at *speed* with a flapping tyre for a good distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I agree it was speed that did the damage.
    But as a previous poster said we don't know the circumstances exactly. In fact we don't even know the neighbourhood this happened.
    Im not asking them to stop dead in the middle lane of a 3lane carriageway to change a tire.
    Surely proceed safely/slowly to a place you can stop and be helped or call for help, without causing an obstruction.

Advertisement