Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bursting at the seams

• 24-03-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I have to post this.
    I went to a pub , the other night.
    Not my normal haunt.
    Anyway, I have huge huge concerns about the fire regulations.I mean both doors where shut and a Q was formed to get out, or up to the after dark.The doorman shut the main door and wouldn't let anyone out.I just had to push past people and get out.I spoke with the door man and explained my concerns and was told, there was a fight and somethings whrer more important.
    Now, I am old enough to remember STARDUST, I cant believe that this is allowed.
    whats other peoples experience's of this.
    When I was out, I spoke with a guy whose Girlfriend was inside, he was trying to tell the doorman that she wanted to get out.She was inside crying.
    MADNESS.
    cathy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dotts1977

Hi Cathy

I fully agree with your concerns. It seems that unless you leave O'Sheas before the queues start for After Dark, you are stuck there for an extra hour or more! There should really be a bouncer at the door near the toilets to let people out who do not want to go upstairs. I'd really love for a fire warden inspection to be carried out some night about 1245 or so! that might make them realise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

i agree ive seen it happen on many occasions,come the time for after dark that place is lethal ,something seriously needs to be done.im sure a visit from a health and safety officer would bring the danger to the fore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

You can also exit at the door down at the pool tables or the door at the bottom of the bar, neither are ever inaccessible or locked when the bar is open.

Regarding mentioning the Stardust incident, it's an odious comparison. As well as the two exits I mentioned above which are always open there is another exit at the top of the stairs, and another at the smoking area out by the harbor. I make that 4 exits as well as the main door. I never seen these blocked or locked. There are ample exits to evacuate the premises.

If people copped on a bit and used alternative exits when leaving instead of trying to pile by people queuing then all would be rosy. There appears to be a bit of a sheep mentality in place.

On a side note Pratt should get his act together and sell tickets at the bar for upstairs and open the cloak room from 9pm, this would pretty much remove the queue altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi Bluetonic, I agree about the tickets and the clock room.But last night the doors where locked.
    I have to say, as a person who trained, long long time ago in health and safety, this is failing big time.
    Perhaps people where all trying to go upstairs , find, but doorman SHUT the main front door.I had to push past people and say I want to get out, what your doing is wrong.I am so glad that I didn't have much to drink.I was driving half the night and had just left the car home and went down for one.
    It was disgraceful .Fingal co co are the people to talk to.
    seems to me that a lot of money is taken on the night and the more crowds of people the better.Honestly , I have never seen a thing like it.
    so , if we all see there is a pontenial for problems , and as bluetonic pointed out some fairly easy soloutions then, whats stopping them!!
    I may even ring Pratt my self and have a word.
    take care.
    cathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cathy01 wrote: »
    But last night the doors where locked
    When you say 'locked' do you mean chained. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Have to agree with bluetonic on this one.

There are plenty of exits in o sheas and despite the large queue to get upstairs on the weekends people do not have to use the exit at the cloakroom to get out, as there is another door to the left and one to the right beside the toilets which is never full of people in my experience.

TBH compared to many pubs clubs i've been in over the years i feel very safe in o sheas esp bearing in mind the huge crowd of people that it holds.
    But the mind boggles why people get in the queue for afterdark/home at 11 and are still queuing an hour later-very badly run-think its just so bouncers can have a bit of a per* for longer :D

But last night the doors where locked.
    The doors at the pool tables and the end of the bar were not locked at any stage. I know this as I was standing beside both and saw people use both throughout the night.

Even when security were called for twice by the DJ when a scuffle broke out these doors remained open, and people continued to use them both to enter and leave the pub and go for a smoke.
    Fingal co co are the people to talk to.
    Your over reacting, there were two exit at the front and two exits at the back of the building which were accessible, some open and the others could be opened with a push of the release bar. The front door is always closed once After Dark is open circa midnight.

I think it this case it may have been your inexperience of the setup which lead you to the wrong door and therefore having to squeeze by people. 5 meters to your left you could have left with ease via the door at the pool tables.

Actually just seen that it was last night you were there cathy01,that the doors were meant to be locked.

I was also in o sheas last night and exited out the door at the toilets so this door was definitely not locked last night... ?

suzieb wrote: »
    But the mind boggles why people get in the queue for afterdark/home at 11 and are still queuing an hour later-very badly run-think its just so bouncers can have a bit of a per* for longer :D
    People are very strange. Myself and few others I was out with commented last night on how the queue started to form around 11.15, yet everyone knows the doors don't open until 12 - and last night was no exception. We were observing from up near the pool tables and the queue just got bigger and bigger - not really any longer, just thicker and denser. Surely it's in the best interests for someone to come along the say NO QUEUING. Some people were in the queue for a good 45 minutes with no drink, so it's not really helping the bars revenue.

I think it's the old airplane syndrome, Irish people just love to queue.

Eh..In my day.....:)
    No really, there is potenial for problems there.I just think ok, my paln, talk to managment first then Fingal.
    I hate seeing Q's of people mostly young people, perhaps afraid to give out in case the are BARRED.
    Madness really.

In my day.....:pac:

cathy

• Advertisement

Yeah you're dead right cos no one in the queue ever seems to have a drink in their hand and if they do they dont bother going to get another one as they'll lose their place then-I know if i was manager I wouldnt be happy with people not drinking but they've only themselves to blame.

Its a very messy set up but cant see it changing. Go down most fri or sats and its always the same story. They should open upstairs earlier in the night too as 12 is just too late for a club to open.I think it might have something to do with the djs they have workng upstairs though..

We were plannin on going upstairs last night and it was 12.45 and the queue was still huge so we waited to see when it would die down and at 1.15 we left as just wasnt worth our while paying in for an hour as the queue was only settling then!

Hi Cathy

I genuinely dont think theres a problem with exits tho as you first mentioned being your concern?

Yeah the queue is really big but people are queuing at an exit and for the people that are just inside that exit if god forbid anything happened they would have two exits to left and right and one in the smoking area also.

Dont think a large queue in busiest spot in balbriggan is something to complain about really-sure its the exact same in places in city centre for example buskers going down to boomerangs and q for cloakroom into club m to name a few classy spots!

suzieb wrote: »
    I know if i was manager I wouldnt be happy with people not drinking but they've only themselves to blame.
    Fergal is never happy anyhow ;)

oh young spring chickens, I will have to take your word for it, my hip is feeling a lot better now,no really is sad.Last ngiht some guy came over and said "Hi I know you", I just said yep, and went on my way.Ithink he is in the year above my son:eek:
    byw I'm only 35..or is it 36, cant remember.It was strange seeing kids I used to mind in there.They where like 5 or 6 and are now 18 19 .Strange.Anyway.
    points taken and understood.
    Be good and make sure you all take your calcium, its good for the bones, and remember, every day is a bonus.
    cathy

got a message saying a new reply was added , and cant see it ??
    I pasted it here.

Cathy I would love to know what you intend talking to Fingal about and what your age or the fact that you were old enough (8 at the time) to remember the Stardust is to do with any of this.

You went to a pub you didnt know very well and went to the wrong exit when you wanted to leave - so you got caught up in a queue of people who should have been enjoying the last drink downstairs instead of acting like idiots and queuing for a nightclub which wasnt going to turn them away an hour later and which wouldn't stop serving for hours.

I'm sure it was unpleasant but I think you should check your facts before you start comparing a local business to the Stardust - it is lucky there were other people here who were there to defend O'Sheas. Sorry if I am coming across too heavy but I think they were serious allegations you were making on the internet.

my reply.I mention STARDUST, because the place was PACKED and the door was closed.
    I am 100% sute the front door was shut.I had to ask to be let out.SHUT, not locked shut.Doorman holding it shut and not allowing people out.That is a FACT, no question.
    My last post was light hearted and I dont think there is a

What I would talk to Fingal about is, is this a breach of Fire regulations.
    I am sure , at the very least it should be looked at.The process for getting people out or upstaires was badly managed.

I am sure , as posts above have said it is very very unpleasent.

As for not KNOWING the pub.I live beside it, and I have drank in there on occasion many times, but I have never seen it so bad.Bank holiday weekend perhaps.But point it, its a risk .
    It doesnt have to be as solutions have been made, as in above tread and I think the concerns of people should be taken on board.

I wrote this all on the internet because, this is a discussion forum and I think , we just discussed my concerns.

I did remove the name of the Pub as I can see your point I shouldnt have used the pubs name.

I am sure as there are not many pubs with nighclubs attatched in Balbriggan people would know anyway which one I was talking about.

Thanks all again for the replies.All points noted and taken on board.

Cathy

(I'm not sure who stated this as Cathy has pasted it).
    You went to a pub you didnt know very well and went to the wrong exit when you wanted to leave - so you got caught up in a queue of people
    One shouldn't have to "know" a premises. I've never been to O'Sheas and I don't even know where in Balbriggan it is but if I went there tonight, I would expect to be able to exit the premises as quicky as possible and I would expect the staff to be able to assist in such a situation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have only witnessed the above in O'Sheas once but I am curious to know was there a bouncer standing beside the doors that were locked that could have easily opened them in an emergency or were they chained with no one near them and no way of opening them?

from my understanding they guy who was upset as his girlfirend was inside , he said they where locked.
    I tried to exit the main door and it was hut, not locked, but closed by the doorman.

thanks all,
    cathy

One shouldn't have to "know" a premises. I've never been to O'Sheas and I don't even know where in Balbriggan it is but if I went there tonight, I would expect to be able to exit the premises as quicky as possible and I would expect the staff to be able to assist in such a situation.
    A presumption was made that the exit was the same door used to enter, this was an incorrect assumption. Thats all that happened here.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have only witnessed the above in O'Sheas once but I am curious to know was there a bouncer standing beside the doors that were locked that could have easily opened them in an emergency or were they chained with no one near them and no way of opening them?
    I've said it a couple of times now there were no doors chained. There were bouncers at the front door which was closed over as is always the norm at that time of night. The other doors are sufficient to exit and are used throughout the night by the majority of people.
    from my understanding they guy who was upset as his girlfirend was inside , he said they where locked.
    To be honest sounds more like one or both of them were locked.

hi Blue, I dont think the guy was Locked as in drunk??
    I was told the other doors where LOcked, as in closed.
    point is again, something is wrong with the set up.
    cathy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cheridere

hi Blue, I dont think the guy was Locked as in drunk??
    I was told the other doors where LOcked, as in closed.
    point is again, something is wrong with the set up.
    cathy

Maybe when Blue was in said pub the doors were opened but I have been in there plenty of times and the pool table door was locked because the staff are doing the door for the after dark.

I agree with you entirely that the possibility for accidents in said bar is very obvious and only a blinkered regular would deny it.

cheridere wrote: »
    Maybe when Blue was in said pub the doors were opened but I have been in there plenty of times and the pool table door was locked because the staff are doing the door for the after dark.
    I've never seen the door at the pool tables locked on a Friday or Saturday night at any stage of the night, even past 1am and to be honest I'd be down there every weekend on one of the nights and stand in and around the area.

I know it's never locked as some of my friends are smokers and use this door to go out for a smoke many times (10+) a night, and also see other people coming and going through this door all night so unless they've all been issued with keys I don't see how your thinking that the this has been locked plenty of times is true at all.

Now during the winter the door is often closed over due to the draft coming in off the harbor, but it's never locked on a Friday or Saturday night. It being closed over (as in on the jar) may give someone the impression it's locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Cathy if you are concerned contact either Fingal Co Co or the fire dept. Even if O'Shea's if fully compliant a random check never does any harm. I honestly don't know but I imagine there is no problem telling Fingal co co that you want to remain anonymous, I've reported a fair few people for dumping and never and any trouble with them finding out it was me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

It's been quite a while since I've been in O'Shea's but I can tell you now that on more than one occasion the door to the left of the toilets has been locked with no bouncer in sight. A lot of times it has been open but there has been a bouncer there....obviously required otherwise anyone could stroll in without being checked.

Perhaps they only do it for a few minutes if they don't have someone to cover the door but it definitely has happened.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    It's been quite a while since I've been in O'Shea's but I can tell you now that on more than one occasion the door to the left of the toilets has been locked with no bouncer in sight.

I think the key is was it locked or shut. That door is an emergency exit and has a push bar to open it from the inside obviously, are you saying the door was just shut but could be still opened by pushing the push bar from the inside?

ps. You not missing much be not being in O'Shea's in quite a while ;)

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I think the key is was it locked or shut. That door is an emergency exit and has a push bar to open it from the inside obviously, are you saying the door was just shut but could be still opened by pushing the push bar from the inside?

ps. You not missing much be not being in O'Shea's in quite a while ;)

Hehe, now I wouldn't be that drunk! Of course I pushed the bar. Locked. Everytime it happened (and there was more than once) I would push the bar and nothing. Door is locked. On one occasion when I was trying to leave via that door I was told by the bouncer to go back the other way and leave via the After Hours queue. I told him that I was heading home and just wanted to get outside instea dof queuing for ages and I was told the door was locked, nothing he could do. Now maybe he was bullshítting me but tbh, I don't see why. Surely it would have been easier to just open the door and let me out if it wasn't locked?

Chinafoot wrote: »
    I was told by the bouncer to go back the other way and leave via the After Hours queue.

Oddly enough After Dark and After Hours both seem to be home from home for the weird and wonderful. :D

Haha, I spend too much time on boards :p

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Many nightclubs have to position bouncers beside fire exits to prevent patrons from opening those doors from the inside and allowing their friends in without charge. Prior to the Stardust tragedy, it was common to see fire doors chained to save money in employing extra staff to man fire doors.

• Advertisement

Many nightclubs have to position bouncers beside fire exits to prevent patrons from opening those doors from the inside and allowing their friends in without charge. Prior to the Stardust tragedy, it was common to see fire doors chained to save money in employing extra staff to man fire doors.
    Nice comment and we all respect the Stardust incident and what went on prior to it but not sure how it's relative to the situation in O'Sheas in relation to what you quoted?

Advertisement